• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking to buy my 1st B--how does this one look?

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Looking to buy my 1st B--how does this one loo

Drool.
That is a very nice roadster, all the trimmings, with OD.....

Oh, congrats Tony....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

But, at that price, it should be original...cost you another thou or more to reverse some of his "ricer" mods - but you could get some of that back by selling the parts.

But I especially like this one "a pressurized engine pre-oiling system (lubricates the engine prior to start up extending the engine life)":....hehehehe

OP
tateboys

tateboys

I'm guessing that's BS from your laughter. See, that's why I'm glad you guys are here. Why would I need the extra engines?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag

Thats a 1000% better. Very nice car and worth taking a very close look at. The painted chrome bumpers are interesting and I actualy like the way the front looks like that. Runs before the purists hunt me down.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Stewart, If I weren't so tired I'd give ya some stick over those "frozen snot" bumpers YOUR car has... and th' fact that I really-really LIKE 'em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

I like Tony's find......

Too much looks like it has been changed on the red one.
(BTW....I likes da Accusump idea but I don't trust other people cutting & bolting extra stuff on.)

Anyone in Weyers Cave, VA?

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee

Congrats Tony!

I like the green one a lot (looks like the reserve has been met already (at 3k). also looks like a hard top is included.

The red one would look ok if not for the red roll bar (IMO)

I hope you get a great car at a great deal, but if that green one doesn't go up in price soon, i am going to feel real bad for what i paid for a rubber bumper car with no interior!

Oh, well. i don't think many of us are in this for the money.

Rob

OP
tateboys

tateboys

I'm loving the looks of the green one too. Haven't heard back from seller about engine photos or buy it now price. Mark's mom lives in Salem VA (about 40 minutes south of Weyers Cave), so I might have to spill the beans and take him on a road trip. But if someone's in that area, I'd sure appreciate a 2nd opinion (actually a 1st opinion, since I'm to green to know.) Again, thanks all the insight.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

The car in Kentucky you PM'd me about. Let's find someone here that would be willing to go look it over for you and take some pictures!

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Talked to guy w/green B on ebay. Reserve was NOT met, goofed when he relisted it w/buy it now price ($10,900 w/hardtop). He's sending engine pics (which I will post), and reserve is $10k. Will sell w/out hardtop.

My aunt's B is in Elizabethtown KY (45 min from Louisville, 1 hr or so from Bowling Green/Owensboro, couple hrs from Paducah). It's a '79, 2nd owner, 46,000 original miles, engine not rebuilt but tinkered on by my uncle, he's putting a new battery in as we speak. She drives it once/wk to the McDonald's just to get it out. Says it's hilarious since the drive-thru windows are now geared to big SUVs! Looked in decent shape when I saw it in 2004, but who knows now (they are older and don't have a computer to email pics.) She wants $2500 for it. If you know of someone in that area, let me know. Thanks!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Well, there you gfo - the car for hubby (rubber bumper cars can be easily converted to chrome bumpers!) - & you know the history....

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

My dot-in-law's brother is in Louisville, if all else fails. Gow is in Evansville IN, Nedley is in Lexington KY. Off the top of my head.

Who's near that would take a run and check this car out?

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Funny how things work, I asked her about selling 2 YEARS AGO, and she called me up last night. Go figure. And I had no idea you could switch rubber bumpers to chrome. What's the cost on that?

Still want to check condition. Anybody know someone in KY willing to go take a peek w/me???

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

We'll find someone nearby to check the car out for you.

There are conversion kits readily available and lowering kits (CBs sit lower to the ground than RB) and that's always something that can be done when time and funds are available.

If the car is solid and not eaten up with tin cancer, most other fixes are relatively cheap (it's the body work and paint costs that will wipe out a modest car budget in no time) Before you consider a complete project, take into consideration some people take years to do these. And it will be a large chunkochange. We did our full restore in 4 months, but we had allocated funds and my husband is retired. We still have nearly several many thousands of $$$ in the car and Chuck did most the work except minor body repair, painting and some of the engine rebuild. Actual cost is less, but I forget. Probably $12,000 give or take a grand.

(I want first dibs on the old rubber bumpers though! Emma's need replaced!)

OP
tateboys

tateboys

You got it, girl. Thanks.

On the restore, we'd take our time. Mark'd love doing the mechanical work, and now I'm wanting to get in on the action. And I have 4 boys, so we got us a pit crew...

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

You'll want to be driving that car as soon as you bring it home, don't kid yourself! That's why the aunt's B may be the perfect FIRST MGB. You can drive it, do any minor work that's needed, flip it for a profit and stick that money into another. OR, drive the wheels off it, buy a project car (ours was $1000 from Unka Tony) and then take the time restoring it while you still have a toy to play with. I know you mentioned a 14 year old... get him involved and then turn the '79 over to him when he gets his license and has learned enough about the mechanics and maintenance of MGs to take care of one.

Then you buy another. It's a disease. There is no cure.

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful

Kandace,

The MGB in the Greenville paper is a 1980 (rubber bumper). Ad says it has 24k original miles. Phone # is 864-287-2362. $8,500

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

It's probably a black LE too, right? Dime a dozen IMHO!

Most importantly, do not rush into this purchase. If worst comes to worst, pick him up an MG keyring, some driving gloves, a quart of Castrol 20W50, a few other odd, random bits, maybe a membership to NAMGBR for Christmas. He'll think you're nuts until he opens the IOU.

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Hey Jaybird, is this how the addiction goes?

1. See a little MG, fall in love
2. Hunt high and low, find one listed in "good condition, needs a little TLC"
3. Go see car, realize you don't have that much love to give. "Good condition" means 1/3 covered w/rust, seats have a mouse in residence, speedometer broken, "pretty red color" described by owner has faded to pink, and engine possibly held together by duct tape.
4. Return to #2, but only go for "really good condition."
5. Go see car, looks ok, purchase, attempt to drive home, get stranded on roadside.
6. Tow home, tell significant other it's a "project."
7. Clean out garage, fill back up w/"project" and all necessary parts (and some you haven't a clue where they go.)
8. Many thousands of $$$ and months (years???) later, "project car" is RESTORED.
9. Drive it once, come home, spend rest of evening tinkering w/engine.
10. Miss the fun of restoring, go back to #2.