• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Look at my welds! [pics]

Miser

Here they are don't make fun! :laugh:

Welding006.jpg

Welding005.jpg

D

DougF

They will do what you need them to do. You probably don't need that much weld to brace the body. It won't hurt, but makes for more clean up.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
In my business they are called "gorilla welds"

strong, but ugly

but they do what needs done

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Next thing you'll tell me is that body work is easy. :wink:

Scott

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Chickin' crap... Sorry, that's pretty bad. What are you using for a welder? Just curious?

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well since its just bracing the body, they should hold, just practice more on scrap matal and you will get better

Hondo

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Looks like they will hold but here are a few things that seemed to have helped me (I'm not an expert welder but I do most of my own welding and would welcome comments from other welders):
1. I find it hard to see the puddle with mig so get the right glass for your helmet, or if it's an auto dark (highly recommended), get the setting right and find a welding position that allows you to see the puddle.
2. Practice on similar materials before doing the weld on the car to get the heat and speed right. Looks like yours might have been a bit cold. If you can get it right on the bench, your chances of getting it right on the car are greatly improved.
3. Examine your practice welds for penetration by examining the back or grinding them down or cutting through a section. Turn up the heat for better penetration. (small welders get maxed out by fairly thin stock)
4. Make sure there is no binding of the wire in the hose (you can replace the core).
5. Grind around the weld areas of both new and old metal.
6. If you are using shielding gas (looks like you are) get the flow right. I use 12 psi for .023 wire on sheet metal. A flow meter is advisable but with a little trial and error, you can work it out as I do, using just the pressure gauge. (flow meters have gotten quite cheap).

Having said all this, I admit that I still get some pretty ugly welds too, just not quite as often as I used to.
Tom

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TomMull said:
1. I find it hard to see the puddle with mig so get the right glass for your helmet, or if it's an auto dark (highly recommended), get the setting right and find a welding position that allows you to see the puddle.

+1 - a good helmet, or my preference is now goggles, makes a HUGE difference.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Miser, Just remember one thing, no one was born with a welding stick in his hand. All welders had to learn the process at one time or another. I give you credit for taking on the task. Keep practicing, take other more experienced welders advice, pick their brain and put it to memory. Regardless of how much you know, a steady hand, a good machine and many hours of practice is a must. You'll do fine, keep it up. JMHO. PJ

OP
M

Miser

TomMull said:
Looks like they will hold but here are a few things that seemed to have helped me (I'm not an expert welder but I do most of my own welding and would welcome comments from other welders):
2. Practice on similar materials before doing the weld on the car to get the heat and speed right. Looks like yours might have been a bit cold. If you can get it right on the bench, your chances of getting it right on the car are greatly improved.
3. Examine your practice welds for penetration by examining the back or grinding them down or cutting through a section. Turn up the heat for better penetration. (small welders get maxed out by fairly thin stock)
4. Make sure there is no binding of the wire in the hose (you can replace the core).
5. Grind around the weld areas of both new and old metal.
6. If you are using shielding gas (looks like you are) get the flow right. I use 12 psi for .023 wire on sheet metal. A flow meter is advisable but with a little trial and error, you can work it out as I do, using just the pressure gauge. (flow meters have gotten quite cheap).

Having said all this, I admit that I still get some pretty ugly welds too, just not quite as often as I used to.
Tom

Thank you this helps a lot

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
One trick with what you are trying to do there, a heavy brace on sheet metal, aim your gun toward the heavy brace and let your puddle flow over onto the sheet metal.

That lessens the chance of blowing through the sheet metal because of how hot you have to have the arc for the brace.

You'll get it. Half of the battle is throw your arms up and yell, "how hard can this be" and just do it.

My little Lincoln MIG likes it if you "pulse" the weld, short trigger pulls, and just a long series of single puddles. Keeps the heat affected zone smaller and less chance of the puddle getting hot enough to fall out the bottom.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
If you work in a weld shop, asking fellow welders to "look at your welds" is not a good idea unless you`ve got a shell like a turtle {hard as nails} lol you are bound to get ribbed, ridiculed, teased, made fun of and yes even criticized.
Sound advice that .... practice practice practice and then practice on scraps.
Don`t be afraid to try ... different approach angels, wire speeds, gas flow rates
wire stick out lengths, wire distance to work gaps. keeping in mind that you have to somewhat stay within the wire diameter, gas application {type} and material thickness parameters.
Fit up and material preparation is 80% of making a good weld.
Fool around with it, see what works best for you!
One thing to keep in mind ... welding is not a race. You do not have to go fast! Take your time watch the puddle carefully it`s eye hand coordination and eyesight.
have fun!

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I won't make fun and am impressed with some of the welding seen on this forum, wish I knew how and had the stuff but probably won't happen. What about this puddle, wouldn't that go right on your head welding these diff mounts from underneath?

Dono

Big Sky Hi!
Look like to much O2 in the mix, so too hot. I'd reduce the O2 for a slightly cooler flame point. Also, did you use any flux? I always dip my welding rod in flux and the metals flow together better, and almost look prof.

I only gas weld. Made a curved shower rod for a bath remodel the other day. Also gas weld airplanes fuselages & gear together; old school stuff. Planes and TR's mix well!

Dono