• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Limited Slip advice, scrapping idea of RX7 rear end

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So I think I will stick with the stock rear end housing, but I really do want limited slip. Can anyone recommend what to use so I can start doing some research? And if anyone out there has something used, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :smile:

Country flag
It might be cheaper to narrow a 7.5" ford rear end and order custom axles. Then you would have a wide selection of ratios and disc brakes if you wanted.
As the above add mentions ... there are different types of LSD and they work in different ways. Your selection will depend on the type of driving. Unfortunately, none of them are cheap.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thumbs up for MiniSpares. Everything purchased there is good stuff..and yeah, shipping can be painful, so make a good full order, it'll still be better parts and a better price even with shipping.
Upside with the shipping? It's airmail..and usually you get it 3-4 days after you order!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Or start with a Mazda LSD to begin with.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't find a straight answer as to whether or not I can use the stock master with the 4 wheel disc brakes. If I can, and put in a proportioning valve, then okay. But so far all the conversions I have seen are running Tilton or other individual masters.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't find a straight answer as to whether or not I can use the stock master with the 4 wheel disc brakes. If I can, and put in a proportioning valve, then okay. But so far all the conversions I have seen are running Tilton or other individual masters.
Gerard's conversion will work with the stock master, but Joe at Sierra has just retired https://www.brakecylinder.com/spridgetbrakes.htm (explains why you must increase the size of the bore) Or you could go with the Girling replacement done in the sixities on the Sprinzel Sprites and use you old pedal box with some mods/
P_BOX_2.sized.jpg

Last edited:
OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well Joe has my master now, sleeving it to 3/4". Let me look around at Gerards solution, I didn't know there was one.
Apbos, do you know a guy down in your neck of the woods, Michael Souza?

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Joe is the man for Gerards solution, he invented the kit! Mike Souza I have heard of him...............He is up in Mariposa I think about a 2 hour drive east.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ya, interesting fellow that Souza is. I bought a roller from him that I am doing a shell swap with.
Do you have a link to Gerard's solution? All I can find is for front disc, not 4 wheel disc.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Joe is the man for Gerards solution, he invented the kit!

Joe will tell you the idea and impetus behind this conversion was mine. I spent a lot of time sorting out the details and convincing Joe this would be a worthwhile endeavor, because it required his participation to make it happen. It was definitely a joint effort.

I will still be able to supply these master cylinder conversions going forward, if anyone is interested.

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Another option would be to either modify or find a modified pedal box that uses 3 master cylinders and a balance bar. 1 for the front brakes, 1 for rear and 1 for clutch. That gives you the ability to tune the bore sizes for the front and the rear separately. The balance bar will allow you to adjust the bias front to rear. I picked up a pedal box off of ebay a couple of years ago that had the extra mounting point for the clutch MC to be mounted outside of the original pedal box and the balance bar for like $60.00. Im planning on running 5/8" MC's for the clutch and front brakes and a 3/4" for the rear brakes. I have an extra 1" MC too that I might use for the rear if the 3/4" doesnt feel right. Oh and I have a rear end from an '84 RX7 GSL with LSD and disc brakes that I am planning on using at some point.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Branson,

Is that car running yet? I thought you were close to being complete.

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim,

very close to running. Seems like things just keep getting in the way of me being able to complete it. Hopefully I will be able to attack it this spring and have it running and stopping by summer.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I use Tilton 74 3/4" master cylinders on my bugeye on a modified pedal box, but you can use a 3 MC Tilton pedal assembly and add the bias bar. I find these on ebay from time to time in the $200 range.
HTH, Rut

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm trying to stay away from that, so I'll use the stock rear end.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So if I were to use a pedal box with 3 masters, where could I find one that is more affordable than the Speedwell unit? I'm torn with the options. I want limited slip, which will cost about a grand to put in the stock housing. Or I can spend the money on a pedal box with independent masters, use the RX7, and get LSD and disc. Which seems that will cost a grand.
I'm trying not to go down the slippery slope of endless modifications. I rebuilt a ribcase, put that in, wasn't happy with it and did the Datsun conversion. I'm not in the financial position to do things twice like I did there, so I need to make sure I do it right the first time.