• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lilly test runs

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

another day and another run. three things from today:

1) after a drive, while the engine was hot, i pulled the valve cover to run a check on the valves. i had set them cold when i put the engine together at .015. with the engine hot... i got the same .015. i expected they would have closed up a couple of thou but not at all. should i go ahead and set to .012 cold? seems i have read that others have seen no difference hot or cold.

2) also read to re-torque the head. but i have read to do it at different times. one place said after a few heat cycles and another place said between 500 and a thousand miles. i would rather wait and do it in the fall since the rocker assembly has to come back off. but if i am going to adjust the valves now anyway, and if it should be done after a few heat cycles... well i may as well do it now. thoughts?

3) the engine idles down to 500-600 RPM with no issue. but sometimes on shut off i get dieseling. cause? i just checked the timing yesterday was set to 15*BTDC. what else should i look at? valves being at .015 possible cause?

Thanks

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

and while i am asking questions anyway...
went to drain some coolant so i can put the sleeve in. my old drain **** leaked. so i bought a new one from Moss. it leaked until i put in the plug. of course that means to drain the radiator, you have to drain it all and it splatters every where. has someone found another alternative to the old drain ****. Something maybe i can get at autozone or somewhere? thanks.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hey Drone Dog, a loose valve setting relative to a tight one is better. Consider a 0.015 clearance for now. Diesling run-on is not uncommon after a spirited drive. i set my BJ-7 idle speed at around 650 - 700 RPM and it will sometimes diesel. Make sure the manifold drain tubes are open and free of debris. They're design to vent surplus fuel which could cause the run-on. If all else fails, engage clutch while turning off engine - that'll stop it! GONZO

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What's a couple thousandths among friends, we're not dealing with a Rolex here. Years ago before I started doing my own wrenching I had a "PRO" set the valves in my 3000. He had two blades of his feeler gauge stick together and set the valves at .029 ! No big deal but it was kind of noisy for a couple weeks until we both had time to make it right.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

thanks for the advice. i will leave the valve clearance alone at least until the fall and see how things are. plan to wait until then also to retorque the head, shocks, etc and change the oils again.

i have a tri-carb motor, not sure i have manifold drain tubes.

new thermostat sleeve will be here tomorrow so i hope to get that in and then see how the engine temp goes. Also have a coolant bottle coming and a bracket so i will play with that.

FYI, i did get a radiator drain tap from NAPA i believe will work fine and allow me to drain coolant without a mess.