Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Hello Fred,
I did the same to my 1/4 springs and used POR15 with their black top coat for UV protection. I would use regular chassis black if I did it again. I used Slip Plate graphite spray between the leaves instead of grease so it would not attract grit. I'm happy with the way it turned out, but like the touch up simplicity of Chassis black.
HTH, Rut
I just did mine and used shoe polish between the leafs and rustoleum all over after they were assembled. The idea of easy touchup was my main motivation for this path. Have them installed but not driving yet.
Dang 4.5 hours to disassemble, clean and then bead blast all 17 leaves of ONE spring.
No wonder few people go to the trouble.
Im committed at this point so I guess the other spring will be tomorrows project.
I am going to draw the line at powdercoating them though.
Prime and paint with some graphite spray between the leaves, thats it.
Its worth the effort to do it right, you will never have to do it again. And I think I have about 5 hours to disassemble, blast, paint, grease, and reassemble. POR 15 and a thin coat of grease between the leafs made it silent and lovely
Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone have an original set of 1/4 eliptical they'd like to sell? Condition not important as i am planning to disassemble and restore. Thanks!
I have done many leaf springs on many British cars.
I have always used two component epoxy paint, and a trick I've never seen anywhere else, lithium grease. It's waterproof and won't wash away in the rain.
Rolls Royce and Bentley used leather covers for the springs to keep road dirt off, but I haven't gone that far yet.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.