• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Latest Bicycle Project

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
> Amazon.com : Wheel Master 27 x 1-1/4 Rear Bicycle Wheel, Freewheel, Silver 36H : Bike Wheels : Sports & Outdoors <

> Amazon.com : Wheel Front 27 x 1-1/4 Silver 36H : Bike Wheels : Sports & Outdoors <

Standard size for European road wheels (and U.S. for the last couple of decades) is called 700c and has a rim diameter of 622mm vs. the 27" standard which has a diameter of 630mm.

Close enough that you can usually convert a bike from 27 to 700c. But different enough that you sometimes have to change brake calipers. You'll always have to at least adjust the brakes.
Yeah, it was an easy swap. All I had to do was adjust the brake pads.

Shoot, those 27" wheels are pricey. I paid something like $70 for the pair I bought.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The 650 size wheel is a closer match to the 27" inch rim than the 700 rim, which is theoretically interchangeable with 29 inch wheels. Most higher end mountain bikes are now using the 650 wheel instead of the 29 inch / 700. The 650 wheel is supposed to give you the best of both worlds -- the crisp handling of the 26" wheel with the ability to roll over obstacles easier that you have in the 29" wheel size.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
700C wheels have a bead-seat diameter of 622mm, for 27" it's 630mm. 8mm difference in diameter is 4mm radius, so if you put 700C wheels on a frame designed for 27" the brake needs to reach 4mm further -- less than 1/4 inch.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
The 650 size wheel is a closer match to the 27" inch rim than the 700 rim, which is theoretically interchangeable with 29 inch wheels. Most higher end mountain bikes are now using the 650 wheel instead of the 29 inch / 700. The 650 wheel is supposed to give you the best of both worlds -- the crisp handling of the 26" wheel with the ability to roll over obstacles easier that you have in the 29" wheel size.
That's correct, but you're referring to 27.5" rims, a.k.a. 650b.

The 27" rims we've been discussing are slightly larger than 700c (and 29") rims. They were standard on "10-speed" road bikes of the 60's and 70's like the Schwinn Varsity and Continental.

It's confusing because the names sound like dimensions but are effectively just names. They're derived from inconsitently imagined hypothetical (well, more like mythical) dimensions and aren't aligned with reality. Luckily, there are specifications assigned to those names.

700C wheels have a bead-seat diameter of 622mm, for 27" it's 630mm. 8mm difference in diameter is 4mm radius, so if you put 700C wheels on a frame designed for 27" the brake needs to reach 4mm further -- less than 1/4 inch.
That's right, but sometimes...

Once upon a time, don't even remember what bike it was, I installed 700c wheels and found the brake pads were already at their lowest position but didn't reach. I had to swap out the calipers for ones with longer arms.

But yeah, it was more commonly like I had with my first "10-speed" bike, a Peugeot. It originally came with 27" steel clincher rims. I re-laced the hubs with 700c tubular rims and the MAFAC center-pull brakes just needed to be adjusted a little.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
That 4mm difference can create brake pad centering problems when switching from 27" to 700c wheelsets. Options then include "drop" center bolts or long reach calipers.
unnamed.jpg
$_1.jpeg

Samanler

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey guys, you seem to know a thing about bicycles. Can you please advise regarding the first bike for my 4 yo son? I found this top > Best Bike for 4-Year-Olds in 2021 - Reviews and Buyer's Guide <, but I am not sure which one will work. I've tried to search for some info on more web pages and forums. I would really appreciate it if somebody will explain which details I should pay attention to first. Of course, I love my child, but I am not ready to spend a ton of money since he is growing up, and I will have to buy a new one in 2-3 years. Thanks in advance!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
They now make training bikes. It's basically a bicycle with no pedals and the child just scoots along using foot power. It helps them develop a sense of balance so that when they are given a "real" bike, the transition is pretty much a snap. One workaround is to buy a similarly sized bike and remove the pedals and chain. Most small kids bikes have a one piece crank that requires a spanner to undo, so it might not be worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, there's really no safe way around replacing a smaller bike with a bigger one as they grow. Fortunately, most parents of young children who are teaching them to ride bikes are in a similar predicament. You can probably pick up a small children's bike second hand. And then, when you're done, you pass it on to another family.

Regardless of what route you take with a bicycle, PLEASE get your son in the habit of wearing a bike helmet right off the bat. They really do make a difference. The earlier you start them in the habit, the easier it is to keep them in the habit.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
And speaking of old bikes.....

On Sunday we were riding down at Newport Back Bay and I came up on a girl riding a yellow Pinarello. Not that Pinarello's are uncommon per se, what with Froome and the like winning so many major races on them lately and all. But this one wasn't the latest carbon wonder weapon.

It was steel with scroll-cut lugs and clamp-on shifters and bottle cage. I guessed seventies vintage. The groupset looked newer, eighties I guessed.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way back when (1972?) when I was really into bikes,
I bought a new Gitane Tour de France with all Campy equip-
ment.I paid $210 for it.I sold it because it had sew up tires &
I didn't have the patience/knowledge yo fix them.
A bike like that spoils you,when compared to an average one.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yeah, modern clinchers make maintaining/repairing sooooo much easier. And they really ride just about as good as sew-ups.

Last time I put in a big day on sew-ups was in '86. Flatted in the first 15 miles of a century. Spent the next 85+ miles second-guessing the re-used glue on my rims. That, and hoping I didn't get any more flats.

Finished the ride without rolling a tire or getting another flat. But I built up a pair of clincher wheels shortly thereafter and have been riding clinchers ever since.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Here's the shop's latest project...not one, but a pair of Bianchi e-road Aria's. Electric powered rear hub, Ultegra Electronic Groupset. Cutting edge beauty...Customers are picking them up tomorrow.
IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG

Basil

Administrator
Boss
@
Here's the shop's latest project...not one, but a pair of Bianchi e-road Aria's.
Wow, those are sweet! I could do without the electric part, but the bikes look really nice. (Aside - my Granddaughter's name is Aria)

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That bike looks sweet but I'm not ready for electric just yet. I had a look at my Bianchi yesterday for the first time since my accident... the front wheel is bent and the handlebar is out of alignment; haven't looked at the shifter yet.
It will be a while before I'm back on two-wheels.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hey guys, you seem to know a thing about bicycles. Can you please advise regarding the first bike for my 4 yo son?
Used bikes are your friend. One, kids grow faster than the bike wears out, and second, it will get beat up.

We got a bike from a neighbor, and our daughter wore out the tires riding up and down the driveway (went through two tires on the back!) When one training wheel broke, she rode the three wheeled remnants for a few days until we took off the second training wheel - and she was riding on her own. No "formal training" needed. We followed the same protocol with our second daughter, but she was not so enthusiastic. However, when she saw that her best friend could ride a bike, her competitive spirit prevailed and suddenly she did not need training wheels. Again, no formal training from the parents.

And we have "paid it forward" and passed on the bikes (after replacing the tires :smile: )

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've never seen that many gears before.Those bike must be $200 - $300 each.
X10 and you’ll be closer but still on the low side.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
X10 and you’ll be closer but still on the low side.
Try x20... of the high end estimate...
Not quite sure I understand the idea of a carbon framed e-bike. Once you have battery assist the difference in weight between carbon and Al isn't going to make a difference.
Well I am going to go back to drooling over the Orbea Orca Aero that I want. Already picked out the colors for a custom paint job. Only problem is current delivery is estimated is 2022...