• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

K&N air filters for 1967 BJ8

gcoll

Country flag
I'm sure this subject has been covered before but I am interested in replacing the original air filters with a K&N or equivilent modern air filter on my car. Can anyone tell me the K&N model number that is compatable with the SU HD8 carburator and where they can be purchased? What are the pro's and con's to upgrading the air filters, any thoughts or ideas concerning this conversion would be appreciated. thank you glenn

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
See post on after market ones on this same forum. However, there are not any other type i would recomend using

Last edited:

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keoke, I'm trying to find "post above on aftermarket ones" ...and I can't find it . Archives ?? I can't find it. I may be clueless, but I also want some info on a good air cleaner for my HD8s. So listers, please wade in and help us out. I Googled ITG, but they are made in England and I want something made in the US.

bec

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Keoke, I'm trying to find "post above on aftermarket ones" ...and I can't find it . Archives ?? I can't find it. I may be clueless, but I also want some info on a good air cleaner for my HD8s. So listers, please wade in and help us out. I Googled ITG, but they are made in England and I want something made in the US.

bec
I've been looking for a long time for an aftermarket air filter for my BJ8 and the below link is the only one I've been able to find. Just so happens it appears to add performance and some good benefits when working on your carbs. I have contacted the company about a month ago and they are in stock and I will most likely buy one, about $160.00 USD. They do stock replacement filters too. Something about the BJ8's that companies don't want to come up with a system for them but do on the other big Healey's.

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/content/high-flow-twin-su-air-filter

peter41692

Freshman Member
100_1826.jpg100_1827.jpg
I'm sure this subject has been covered before but I am interested in replacing the original air filters with a K&N or equivilent modern air filter on my car. Can anyone tell me the K&N model number that is compatable with the SU HD8 carburator and where they can be purchased? What are the pro's and con's to upgrading the air filters, any thoughts or ideas concerning this conversion would be appreciated. thank you glenn

This is what I used. K&N
peter

Bustren

Freshman Member
Country flag
When I converted my BJ8 to 3xHD8 I bought three K&N 56-9242 blanks, was just enough room for these. For a standard BJ8 installation I would check if there are room for slightly higher filter.
I made three drawings in scale 1:1 (three offsets used) which I glued inside the end plate using the 2 holes for the studs as reference. Holding it against a light source makes it quite easy to position the drawings. Easy to mark and drill the holes, then use a hole cutter for the intake hole. Used a Q.Max sheet metal punch hole punch diameter 52 mm.
Make sure there are no interference between the screws for the studs inside filter and the carburetor (I changed these screws to insex). Using a gasket for the filter as reference makes it quite simple to check clearance.
For the ventilation breather hose I made a hole in the rear filter end plate, slightly smaller than the hose and just pressed the hose in. Make sure the hose do not interfere with filter element, it is little tight. brg Lars
3 HD8 BJ8.jpgFilter Drawing.jpg
Filter Drawing layout.jpgHÃ¥lbild filter.jpg

Last edited: