• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just sayin' ...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The task is not to see what has never been seen before, but to think what has never been thought before about what we see every day.
Just be sure that if you share what you think that has never been thought about what you see everyday, that it conforms with accepted orthodoxy and consensus as defined by those who decide what is or is not misinformation. :ninja:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Galbraith: "The Conventional Wisdom" is often what is held in common by people who want to "fit the norm", whether the Wisdom is based on fact or not. It increases institutional and societal resistance to change.

Fortunately Nature gave us all brains, to inquire critically about what we see and hear. But now that AI is creeping into our worlds, we may find it easier to accept Conventional Wisdom, than to investigate it. Not sure about something? Just Google it, and look only at the first page of results.

OK - back to my cave.
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Fortunately Nature gave us all brains, to inquire critically about what we see and hear. But now that AI is creeping into our worlds, we may find it easier to accept Conventional Wisdom, than to investigate it. Not sure about something? Just Google it, and look only at the first page of results.
Assume that the AI is not programed by people with their own agendas or innate bias.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yup - just like the media today, and for 1000s of years before, what we see, hear, and read, is what someone else wants us to believe.

garum-skaurusa.jpg

A merchant's advertising for his fish and fish sauce. Around 2000 years ago.

Run for the hills!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A long time ago, before everyone could own their own computer, I worked for a national computer timesharing company. I had a customer, an OU professor, who was working on AI. His approach was not trying to program it or even teach it. Instead, he was designing computer games where the computer played both sides, with 2 separate programs trying to learn how to defeat the other. His favorite subject matter was "Lions and Christians." IIRC, his language of choice was LISP. I have looked at LISP and I can't argue with the popular description, "Lots of Insignificant Silly Parentheses." Not sure why I thought that would be worthwhile posting in a car forum.

Last edited:
Country flag
I did see a story the other day where it was said they found an example if what could be considered "lying" by an AI. Seems it gave someone a false answer, they think to "please" the questioner. They found that the AI did have the correct information when asked another way by another person.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - AI is learning to "lie"? It sounds like AI is learning how to be a human. That should get us all to think twice before believing search engines and forum posts.

:devilgrin:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Mike - AI is learning to "lie"? It sounds like AI is learning how to be a human. That should get us all to think twice before believing search engines and forum posts.

:devilgrin:
100% AI is programmed by humans and the bias of the programmers will be injected into the results. Google is a good example - search on any given topic and I guarantee you that the top results you see are the ones that the Google programmers want you to see first.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
100% AI is programmed by humans and the bias of the programmers will be injected into the results. Google is a good example - search on any given topic and I guarantee you that the top results you see are the ones that the Google programmers want you to see first.
I thought the β€œtop results” were there because advertisers paid $ to get search engines to show them at the top.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The ones that are marked ad, yes. The rest are ranked based on Googles algorithms with their bias built in.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The ones that are marked ad, yes. The rest are ranked based on Googles algorithms with their bias built in.
How do I know this is true and not just your bias built in? :ROFLMAO:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As a kid, back when I did yard work for Socrates ... I learned he didn't have his own definition of truth. He only believed in questioning what others believed as truth, then make your own decision.

Right on, Socrates!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As a kid, back when I did yard work for Socrates ... I learned he didn't have his own definition of truth. He only believed in questioning what others believed as truth, then make your own decision.

Right on, Socrates!
He sounds like a threat to society. He should be arrested and brought before the authorities.