• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jags and Airbags

PATR8

Jedi Knight
As a Triumph owner I usually stay in that section but my daughter has decided she wants a JAG (no style mentioned) but as with my son I insist it must have airbags. So what year did the dual airbags start, what models are the prefered years (looking for a coupe with going prices) THanks guys

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't like airbags so I can't help much in that Dept., but I think the airbags started in 1989 when Ford injected Jaguar with lots of cash and they started installing airbags then.

Why I don't like airbags? because of documentaries that show airbags disfigure drivers and passengers upon exploding on their face, besides, I don't ever drive that fast to have to protect myself from myself. Seat Belts are enough protection, that's why I prefer non-airbag cars, and that's what I drive.

a little trivia: The Series 3 Jaguar XJ-6 was voted "Women's Favorite Car" back in the 1980's and 1990's, in a women's magazine poll, even though production had already stopped by 1992.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
I have at least two friends who are alive and well today due to air bags in their cars. Neither was disfigured. I'm sure there is always a report somewhere that will find something negative to say about every device but I'm going from actual experience.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
XJSs first got a single airbag in 1990. The second airbag started in 93 with the intro of the "facelift" cars. Most of the facelift cars are the 4.0 six cylinder version. Converts outsold coupes by a large margin, so the coupes can be a little hard to find. Trim parts like bumper covers are almost impossible to come by, but most of the mechanical parts are available. My personal opinion is that the pre facelift cars look better, and there are a lot more parts available. The bumpers are black rubber, and almost indestructable. The drawback is that almost all in the US are V12s. Great cars, and extremely durable, but complex. Not the best cars for kids to drive.The 92 thru 94 sedans are great cars. Dual airbags in 94 only. These cars are strong, reliable and best of all cheap. ( both to purchase and to maintain) I heartily endorse the late XJ40s as a really good first Jaguar. Stay away from 88 and 89s tho. They are good enough cars, but quirkey, and have electrical issues.The later cars are so cheap these days that it is not worth putting up with the early ones.

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I was in particular looking at a 94 black XJ. SHe loves it, it is big (size does matter in crashes) and relatively cheap. I am lookng to get it for her for her 15 birthday so she can learn all the essentials about the car (not going to be a man dependant girl her) Any more advice would be appreciated. What trouble areas should I look for, what would be considered high miles,, stuff like that, Thanks Jag Guys

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
size does matter, and so does Color. Black is not a safe color on today's roads. White is more visible and therefore safer for such a young driver who surely does not have all her driving skills polished by experience. The Safest Color according to a study done by Consumer Reports is Yellow, second to that is White. Visibility makes for Safe.

a 15 year old driver matched with a Black Jaguar means you'll be eaten alive by insurance companies, airbag or not.

Frankly, I would think the whole thing over, maybe get her a 2003 White 'S' type instead? It's more compact and Jaguar enough, not to mention more modern.

A 1994 XJ will surely have issues that will make you old before your time, Jaguars require a lot of patience and maintenance as they grow older. Either that or be prepared for towing calls unless you happen to find a 'choice' car, and those are rare. Caveat Emptor. In the old car business, you always end up buying someone else's problem!

High mileage is just that, anything over 120k miles for a 12 year old car means that Jaguar has been driven a lot more than 10k per year, and any car after 80k miles will start to show its age mechanically.

If you really want a car that will protect your daughter in a serious crash, get her a e320 Mercedes Benz wagon, in White.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hmmm, as much as I hate to steer someone away from the leaping cat, I think he has a very good point about the advisability of buying a Jaguar for her. Another option might be a Volvo, built like a tank, and safe safe safe, (did I say it was safe?) and the purchase price will be better on your pocketbook. Late eighties cars had the drivers airbag, and I think that 1992 and later had two airbags.........Volvo is easier to work on yourself, and better for insurance purposes too. In addition, Volvos are more high-mileage cars than Jaguars, less breaks or wears out.........For a teenage learner driver, it's a good way to go.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I say, I beg to differ. High mileage on an XJ40 is over 200K, and some cars have seen 300K before succumbing to old car ills.The list of troubles is pretty short. Steering rack leaks. Common, and curable forever at a price. ZF made racks for later versions, and they bolt in. Pricy, but you only do it once. Most decent Jag vendors know about the upgrade. The Diffs can make noise. This seems random, some cars have it and some don't Look through records for a diff change. And the headgaskets leak oil above where the distributor is. The only cure is to change the gasket, but the gaskets are upgraded, so you only do it once. The other biggie is that some cars need the AC evaporator replaced. This is a 10 to 12 hour job (dash out), but it is just time consuming, not difficult to do. Otherwise, headlamps and tail lamps are expensive, and so are door handles. I have bought 2 of these in the last year, 1 for 1 k, and a van den Plas for 2K I sold one to my lawyer, and the VDP is going to a good customer. I love these cars, they are the "dodge dart" of british cars. You know, the car that they got right, so had to replace. The later XJ6s have much more electrical stuff, and so many more problems, and the V8s have a raft of troubles of their own. I think this would be a great car for a kid, and as long as the insurance dosen't kill you, it is a real good way to go. Make sure that the car you are looking at has service records, and a stamped service book. Maintainence is important!!.Many folks think that these cars are ugly, but they are really good CARS, much better than you might expect.
For the record, I run a shop that fixes European cars, and I fix a lot of Volvos. Anything after 99 you can't fix as all, and the earlier ones are rattley pigs of a car. Slow as molassas, and they have to be safe, 'cause you sure aren't going to avoid an accident without spending a ton of dough at IPD. The Jags are far easier to work on, and they need a lot less work car for car. I mean Volvos have struts and a live axle vs. the Jag with 4 wheel independant suspension. They are just not in the same class.
Just my 2 cents this AM
Jesse

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I naturally defer to Jesse on the subject of longevity and the day-to-day practicality of these cars. He is the professional here and knows what he's on about. I was approaching it from the layman's point of view.

So, a '94 could be a good way to go after all?

......Hmmmmmm, food for thought.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Buy one, if you choose carefully at all, you will be delighted!

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
Well as a owner of Triumphs I can relate the maintenance issues, the insurance is important but not as much as getting a safe care, beside her mom will pay some the isurance tro help her. I think a car she as to tiker with is a good first car so she has to become aware of the maintenance issues for her cars. Some great advice on here, please keep debating the issues... It seems to be 1994 on so far I am looking for. Keep advising.,.. I am listening

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
the following link will take you to Jaguar World Magazine forum to get an idea of the problems you can expect to run into with a 1994 XJ-6 ( X-300 is the official factory model name for the 1994 XJ-6 and 1994 is the first year for the X-300).

you can browse through many pages of mechanical issues from the XJ-40 (1988-on) through the X-308 (current model). Speaking for myself, I'm not experienced with modern Jaguar models. But if I was buying a modern Jaguar, I would like to educate myself first, knowledge is power, or to use military terminology: 'field intelligence'?? After all, buying a used car is basically a battle, someone is going to win it. That someone is usually the most informed party.

www.jaguar-world.com/forum

For prices, check Kelley Blue Book and all the other pricing books, to arrive at an average selling/buying price, and of course, always offer below average. Who knows, you might get it. and don't forget a VIN check at CarFax to get the full car's history. Well worth it.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
94 is the last of the XJ40s in the US. The X300 is a different beast, more complicated, better looking, but not as bulletproof as the late XJ40s. Otherwise, it is all good advice. As I said before, buy carefully! I had a customer several years ago that "got a great deal" at an auction. The front half was a 92, and from the rear doors back it was an 88. Oooops! You couldn't align the car, it ate tires like no other. A pre purchase inspection by a Jag mechanic that really knows the cars is almost a must.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
according to Jaguar World Magazine XJ Production Figures Chart, (c) JWM, 10,060 XJ-40 were made in 1994, and 14,499 X300 were also made in 1994.

See the attached file where it shows the XJ production from 1968 through 2000. Note that this chart does not say how many 12 cylinder XJ were made, only 'Saloons' or Sedans in both versions. Also, this Chart does not say how many LHD or RHD cars were made, the totals shown are the Total Production by the factory.

Attachments

• 298131-XJ-production.jpg
    298131-XJ-production.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 59

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
In the last few model changeovers, Jag has introduced the "new model" cars in Europe first. This is due in part because it gives them a chance to work out the bugs before they appear in the US. Recalls are really expensive. Also, here in the US we have "model years" that typically run from September to August. So a 94 car could be produced from July or August 93 to July or August 94, and all would be 94 cars. The production of X300s started in 94, but , at least in America, they were 95 model year cars.

R6MGS

Yoda
At first I thought this thread was gunna be about the average age of Jag owners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I considered an 89 series 3 for my son when he started driving.....but ended up with the Sonoma instead, because life without a truck in the household is a pain.