• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ive been quiet....

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
louvers are punched with a press, one at a time.

If you can find someone with a press is an easy job but bonnet must be removed.

Cost in 1959 was .25 each, I had 104 in my hood, a 1954 Ford Sunliner with an export Lincoln engine.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
just wanted to update my progress thread here:

bugeye bonnet was delivered to A&A Dry strip here in Oklahoma City to have the rust removed. Should get it back middle of next week. The rest of the car is in the garage. I have started removing the multiple layers of paint. under the faded red is a british racing green, under that is what I believe to be the original blue (light blue with a bit of a silvery color to it....iris blue perhaps?)
Once I get all of the paint removed I will snap some pics and post them.

I have received an estimate and have scheduled a time with a body shop here in OKC that came highly recommended by a street rod shop and a guy that does collector cars. Still looking at early jan to get in to be painted

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great, progress is a wonderful thing.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Forward Tilt Bonnet is the way to go. Bugsy, my '68 Sprite will be going back in the garage right after Christmas for a Rhinoplasty, Nose Job, and the Bugeye Bonnet that has ben passed to several owners over the past 15 years will finally get installed. Forward tilt hinge set already built.

Bugsy had one last trip yesterday before his surgery. He's been under cover and outside for the last 6-7 weeks as another project is occupying his spot in the garage. 58 Degrees in Dayton yesterday. Pulled off the cover, turned the key, fuel pump runs, turn the key a little more and Zoom, Zoom away we go. Didn't drop the top but still fun to be out and about. I love this car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice, sounds like a happy little engine.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yup, forward tilt hinge kit has been ordered too. Should be here thurs/friday this next week.

can't wait to get to the point of turning the key and hearing my bridgeport 12a come to life with a nice braap braap.

still aways off though /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif front and rear suspension still need attention, need to get the mazda rear end narrowed and re drilled, fuel cell mounted, get the situation with using an aluminum radiator sorted out, and get my motormounts fabricated. then comes wiring and interior, carpet, seats, gauges, 4 pt harnesses, sigh....

My goal is to still make it to the gathering in Branson Missouri though!

Ive got a complete front section for a '65 sprite (both fenders, hood, and center) for sale if anyone is looking for one. I need to start posting some of this stuff on ebay.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got the bonnet media blasted and will finish up stripping the rest of the car tonight. Tomorrow morning its onto the trailer and off to the body shop. should get the car back in early february. In the meantime i have to find an rx-7 to borrow the drivetrain from.

Attachments

• 9318.jpg
    9318.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 104
  • 9319.jpg
    9319.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 9320.jpg
    9320.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 44
  • 9321.jpg
    9321.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 9322.jpg
    9322.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 51
Country flag
For the man hours it will take to fix that bonnet, have you considered fiberglass?

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yeah I have....I am going to have them give me an estimate for the bonnet by itself to be reworked....if it exceeds the cost of a fiberglas one + shipping then I will go that route.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can't seem to catch a break some days. Looks like my rusty old bonnet isn't going to make it. If I had my preference I would go with another steel bonnet....anyone have a spare thats in usable condition?

I looked around for fiberglass ones and here's what I have found (in ascending order)

Retailer Part # Price
Performance Fiberglass 18 $? no response
Show Cars Body Parts G1464 $? no response
Spridgetech $580.00
Winners Circle CFB190C $580.00
SpridgetMania FFS101 $695.00
Speedwell Y3806 $1,250.00

Any others?

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
https://frogeyespares.co.uk/CATALOGUE.pdf
£295
But I guess shipping could be a bit.

I would love to have a bonnet in the condition of yours. Just a week of metal beating and it should be good as new. As it is, I will spend a couple months welding in small patches just to grind them smooth again.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One for sale in my club - $400 (but I suspect he'll take offers by now) - In Ontario PM me if you want a pic

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Branson,

I need to trim the lip on the inner fenders so I can start fitting my Bugeye Bonnet on my '68. Did you trim off flush or leave a 1/2 lip or so. Based on my measurements looks like 1'2" on each side needs to come off of the inner fender lip. Got any pics of how you trimmed out before I start cutting away.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim,

I noticed that it had to be trimmed too, but I had not done anything as of yet. I was going to let the pros handle any modifications to the body / bonnet. If I had my choice I would trim it off flush. I think it would be a little bit cleaner that way and you wouldnt have to worry about an un even or jagged lip.

Someone else may be able to chime in....

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Branson,

Wee you able to get the bonnet to even fit on or is it rubbing when you try to close or open. Looks like my Air tool can cut within 1/3 to 1/2 " away and I can use the vertical portion of the inner fender as a guide so I make a straight cut. That extra flange would also help to retain rigidity.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
mine fit over it but if you look at the photos the bonnet isnt anywhere near straight. It did catch the lip when I opened and closed the bonnet. I would look at photos of a bugeyes and see how it was originally done.....

Looks like in this photo there isnt a lip on the inner fender on bugeyes

Attachments

• 9350.jpg
    9350.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 69

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
With all the slop and moving around the bonnet will do as it goes up and down, I'll trim as close as I can and see if I can get to fit without removing the total lip around the inner fender. Good luck with the body shop. Take care.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
okay so i can't find a bugeye bonnet for what I can afford to spend (or rather what the CFO will allow me to spend /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )soooo.

Back to the old front end...but..... I am going to have it welded together in once piece and stay with the forward tilt.

not exactly where I'd like to be but I think it will work well.

Country flag
So... you got an estimate from the body shop on what they'll charge to put that one right?

BTW bugeyes have a lip that goes inward (but I've never measured the actual width of the inner fenders to compare.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag