• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Is there a good way to manage all those wires/connectors for headlights & park lights

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is there a good way to manage all those wires/connectors for headlights & park lights

On a TR3, is there a good way to manage all those wires and bullet connectors under the bonnet where the wires from the steering column, wires from the headlights, wires from the park/turn signal lights, and wires from the horns come together just behind the horns? It's like a tangled mess in my car, and on the drivers side they are all clustered right in the area where the dipsitck goes in and out to the sump.

In addition, on mine since I've had the grille off and the cowl off several times, I've now got strips of bright green masking tape on each wire with numbers on them to make it easier to match the wires when putting the cowl and grille back on. :smile: So it really is a sight. Please post a picture if you have a good way of cleaning up this tangle of wires. Thanks!
Regards,
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: Is there a good way to manage all those wires/connectors for headlights & park li

One thing that helps, a little, is if you can find the original 6-hole bullet sleeves. They effectively combine 3 2-hole sleeves, and also help organize the wires going into them.

Also, lose the green masking tape. It's actually quite easy to identify the wires with some very simple tests with a test light. I just went through that a few days ago, and the entire process of hooking up the front lamps only took about 20 minutes, including verifying the results (although not including the time it took me to figure out that the high beam indicator was burned out :smile: )

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Is there a good way to manage all those wires/connectors for headlights & park li

I think those wires can be formed into a fairly tight bundle. The original style notched straps help hold them altogether.

DSEngineBay_zpsb5b2e6f3.jpg

The metal straps attached to the inner wing also keep the bundles tight.

PSEngineBay_zpsab39af8f.jpg

The tangle you described may also be reduced if your wires are all twisted around each other -- separating them and then reattaching one at a time may assure that the bundle is no larger than necessary.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Thanks Randall! I have never heard of a 6 hole bullet sleeve. Where do you get those?

Thanks Geo, your's look quite neat. I like the small strap for your grounds. Mine go to various screws. A question...where do the wires come up that come out the end of the steering column? Mine come up from beside the steering column behind the horn. Another question..what is the black wire in your drivers side picture that goes up toward the top of the picture along side the radiator hose? Thanks!
Regards,
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Thanks Randall! I have never heard of a 6 hole bullet sleeve. Where do you get those?
I'm afraid I don't know of a current source. I've been reusing originals by soaking them in silicone to soften the rubber and then replacing the contacts with the ones from new 2-hole sleeves. Sorry, I guess it wasn't a very practical suggestion.

I believe the harness from the control head is supposed to run through the metal tab on the inner fender under the apron, and then come into the junction area as Geo's photo shows.

Those ground straps are as original, I believe. Reproductions are available from TRF and British Wiring, probably Moss & VB as well.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

I have never heard of a 6 hole bullet sleeve. Where do you get those?

British Wiring has a 5-hole:

https://www.britishwiring.com/5-Way-Snap-Connector-p/c335.htm

C335-2.jpg

...I like the small strap for your grounds. Mine go to various screws.

That is the original way the grounds were done. I think British Wiring also has those, but I couldn't turn them up in a brief search.

A question...where do the wires come up that come out the end of the steering column? Mine come up from beside the steering column behind the horn.

As this photo shows, there are a couple of metal straps welded to the inner wing that (on mine at least) capture that bundle of wires and take up to the general confusion of wires shown in the prior pic. The same strap also captures the drivers side turn signal wires when the apron is back on:

HornWire_zps2947df77.jpg

Another question..what is the black wire in your drivers side picture that goes up toward the top of the picture along side the radiator hose?...

Shhhhh! That is my secret wire to a switch in the cockpit which grounds the 'breaker' side of the coil to disable the engine. Even if someone hot-wires the coil (which is pretty easy) it won't start until they figure out what else I've done.

I type too slow.

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

On the Britishwiring.com site under "Bullets & Snap Connectors" you'll find this...

Stainless Steel Grounding Clip
Product Code: C990

sp53

Yoda
Country flag

That is interesting. I have never seen a 6 plug connector onan original tr3.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Geo, thanks for all the pictures and information. The switch in the cockpit sounds like a good idea.
Regards,
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

That is interesting. I have never seen a 6 plug connector onan original tr3.
I mean 6 as in 3 on each side. If you check out the factory wiring diagrams, you'll see one of them for each headlight; which is what I've found on every TR3/A that I've owned.