• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Install new wiring harness in steering column

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Some of the column harnesses on ebay were actually too large to fit into the stator tube. I believe Macys Garage sells the correct one. There have been articles of how the selector comes apart to hook the new wires onto the selector, but I have not seen a video.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I use a wire to pull the column harness through the stator tube. I had to cut the bullet connectors off first to get the harness yto fit through the tube.

David
Steering column wiring pull wire.jpg
vid

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Note as well the direction of twist that is built into the new harness. On the unit shown in David's photo, this would indicate installaton using a clockwise twist so as not to expand the bundle while installing. And lubricate the sheath.
Bob

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I managed to pull it through on my own by making sure the harness was in line with the steering column and pulling some through. Then resetting the harness and repeat.

David

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I used heat shrink to make sure the bundle had a nice clean front end as it entered the tube. Yes pulling all 4 wires at one time. Straight pull and it went through relatively easily with no lubrication. I did cut the bullet connectors off the harness before I attached the pulling wire.

David

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
David plan is solid; it took me some time to get there because I tried getting the bullets through and not cutting them off, but before I was done, it looked just like David’s. Hey David how much does a bag of sand cost down south.

steve

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When you say Sand are you referring to Blasting medium? If you are Northern tool have it for $9.00 for 50 lb. That is for the glass or coal slag. Sand I pick up at the beach when we are on vacation. The beach we go to has very fine sand.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If you are Northern tool have it for $9.00 for 50 lb. That is for the glass or coal slag.

I used that stuff for 2 entire restorations before they started putting the "coal slag" on the bag. Ingenious on their part...charging people to take your refuse. Given that coal is high in lead and mercury, I doubt that stuff is good for our health. Thus their having to finally add the disclaimer! No sand is great for our health, but I bet beach sand would be much better than slag?!?

I have never had to remove the bullets from the harness to pass them through the stator. The bullets are staggered so they don't bunch up together. I did use wd40 or wire pulling lube and was then able to push the wires through the tube about 1/2" at a push. I made sure there were no twists, as any twist will tend to expand the diameter of the bundle slightly...which is significant when you have so little room to spare..

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used that stuff for 2 entire restorations before they started putting the "coal slag" on the bag. Ingenious on their part...charging people to take your refuse. Given that coal is high in lead and mercury, I doubt that stuff is good for our health. Thus their having to finally add the disclaimer! No sand is great for our health, but I bet beach sand would be much better than slag?!?

I have never had to remove the bullets from the harness to pass them through the stator. The bullets are staggered so they don't bunch up together. I did use wd40 or wire pulling lube and was then able to push the wires through the tube about 1/2" at a push. I made sure there were no twists, as any twist will tend to expand the diameter of the bundle slightly...which is significant when you have so little room to spare..
I thought I would attach a wire to the old harness, when I pull it through. That way I can attach the wire to the new harness; don't plan on cutting the bullets off. Put heat shrink around the bundle along with silicon spray.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I stopped using the coal slag blasting medium because it made such a mess and tended to have some larger lumps in the bag. The glass medium did a great job for me.

David