• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If you want a M but cant afford the real M price tag

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Why is "the price right"?
It's not a Le Mans and certainly not an M. And as we all should know by now there never was a 100-4!
The car doesn't have the performance parts that make a Le Mans, it merely has a self-titled "Lemans Appearance package" which in fact never existed.
What is and isn't an M (and a Le Mans) is clearly set forth and parked above and IMHO we should not dilute this message by publicizing poseur cars.

Last edited:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I agree Michael. Ya know I don't know much about 100s but I didn't think they had center shift transmissions.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Seems like a lot of money for what it is/isn't plus the new owner will be forever explaining the actual pedigree.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If we just refer to it as "A clean BN1 with the common louvered hood" and the "notoriously hard to deal with cold air box", is that a good price? It actually looks very clean. If not, what would you offer them?

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looks like a Toyota trans.

100M BS aside, isn't this a pretty reasonable price for a clean BN1?. Wonder what the frame looks like.

That was my thought when I posted the link .
Didnt think I was going to get lambasted for doing so in that its not a real M etc . I know its not a real M I just thought it was a nicely restored “copy” for someone in the market for that kind of car .

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'd call it fully priced, at least, for a very nice BN1, and the custom colors in the interior narrow the potential customer population. The BN2 is simply more highly pursued and thus brings more $$$.

My main objection is of course the fact that they are masquerading it as a 100M or Le Mans or possessing the non-existent "Le Mans Appearance Package" (Le Mans is two words and I can't bring myself to write it as one). Sellers just cannot resist the temptation to try to suggest that their non-M is an M or close to one or should be worth as much as one, or just as good as one, etc., etc., etc. For crying out loud, they've even attached a little letter "M" to the 100 flash on the grille as found only on some 100M cars (and attached it in an incorrect position, but what do you expect?).

There's no shame in a nice, plain, standard BN1 (although this one has lost its 3-speed gearbox - PITY!), so it is a shame they they're trying to make it something that it is not. Still crying out loud: The standard BN1 is getting to be more rare than one with a Le Mans Kit! (Or should I say, the "Le Mans Appearance Package"?)

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The real poseur thing is the "100M" grille badge.

I see there's a "Report" link on the right side of the main page - opposite the tabs. Why doesn't one or more of those knowledgable report this ad for its cagey presentation of the car as a 100M.

I have no problem with the original publicizing of this poseur car. Maybe it'll help get the word out that it's not what it's being presented as.

Reminds me of that guy 10 years ago who kept trying to sell a fake 100S. Wonder what ever happened to that car.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

I see there's a "Report" link on the right side of the main page - opposite the tabs. Why doesn't one or more of those knowledgable report this add for its cagey presentation of the car as a 100M.

I have no problem with Vette publicizing this poseur car. Maybe it'll help get the word out that it's not what it's being presented as.

Reminds me of that guy 10 years ago who kept trying to sell a fake 100S. Wonder what ever happened to that car.

I just tried eBay's "Report" function. It's extremely glitchy and doesn't offer the ability to report misrepresentation. Even though there's a pull-down menu item labeled "Vehicle misrepresentation," if you select that you're forced to choose either "Odometer misrepresentation" or "Vehicle misrepresentation" (redundant). So far so good, but when you choose "Vehicle misrepresentation" you're informed that that is defined as "The listing misrepresents the vehicle's title or vehicle identification number (VIN), or it doesn't include a VIN."

There's no place to indicate that the vehicle is misleadingly described. Looks to me like eBay "doesn't want to hear about it."

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

I have no problem with Vette publicizing this poseur car. Maybe it'll help get the word out that it's not what it's being presented as.

By "Vette" do you mean me? I don't think I was the original poster who publicizied this car. I did think the shifter looked a little suspect.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So more fuel to the fire .
I personally dont think the vehicle is misrepresented. Nowhere in the add does it try to say its a genuine 100M .
If they had a fake certificate and said this is one of the 640 blah blah blah then fair enough .
However if someone wants to “copy” the 100M and sell it go ahead fill your boots .
And if someone is willing to spend the $$$$ and not do the research into the cars actual history then more fool them .
Copied and pasted right off the add ....if this does scream NOT REALLY A TRUE M then I dont know what does !!!
[FONT=&quot]1954 Austin Healey 100-4 M Lemans Appearance Package.

[/FONT]

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have tried and tried to modify my profile to describe my car as a "Le Mans" but no matter what I do the description remains "Lemans".
Is there some secret I don't know or, Reid, are you playing a perverse trick on me?

BTW my car was modified by the first owner to "Le Mans" specs in 1956-57 using parts he purchased from Ship 'N Shore, the dealer/importer in West Palm Beach, FL. He didn't put in the flat-top pistons but otherwise did it correctly.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, um, gosh ... it says "M" ... "100-4 M".

Correct it does followed closely by the words “appearance package” emphasis on the word appearance.... ie looks like !!!!!

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have tried and tried to modify my profile to describe my car as a "Le Mans" but no matter what I do the description remains "Lemans". Is there some secret I don't know or, Reid, are you playing a perverse trick on me?

Try this:

Go to the "Settings" link in the extreme upper right of this page.

Then along the left side under "My Settings" there will be a link for "Edit Profile". That should get you where you can edit away!

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Correct it does followed closely by the words “appearance package” emphasis on the word appearance.... ie looks like !!!!!

No, it says 'Appearance Package;' i.e. only proper names should have leading caps. I would have held my voice otherwise*. Note 'Appearance Package,' or 'Trim Package' typically indicates a factory or dealer-installed kit; of which Reid points out there were none. He's trying to create one after-the-fact (I can pedant with the best of them!).

Side note: Yes, the CAB is a royal PITA. I'm thinking of getting a couple K&Ns to replace it (I already have a K&N at the front of the cold air duct).

* I would have been fine with 'Austin-Healey 100 with a few bolt-on bits that could fool an unwitting potential buyer into thinking it was something special and worth a 30-40% premium' (note lower case).