• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If y'er gunna B.S. at least do your homework

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've had so many conversations with people who think they know about cars that I made a web page about them. The best ones usually come from people who consider themselves an expert because they owned an MG 300 years ago.

https://www.mgnuts.com/mg/humor/conversations/

[/ QUOTE ]

wow... there was a MG 300? I wanna see one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like all the ones who declare that my Daimlers are German from D-B.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daimler bit does come from the same gentleman though. After he seperated from Benz and moved to England. At least I think I read that somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Daimler himself never separated for Benz, not until he died, that is!
The British comany was founded to import from Daimler-Benz, then sold off and became independent.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like all the ones who declare that my Daimlers are German from D-B.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daimler bit does come from the same gentleman though. After he seperated from Benz and moved to England. At least I think I read that somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Daimler himself never separated for Benz, not until he died, that is!
The British comany was founded to import from Daimler-Benz, then sold off and became independent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see, that will help clear up some confusion. Still there is a connection. Though I suppose you could say that all automobiles are tenuously connected to Herr Benz and Herr Daimler.

Now Daimlers simply seem to be Jaguars with fluted grills and some extra posh interior.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh... i smelled it... but i couldn't resist the comment... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
sure, but I'm nearly positive that I wouldn't be able to afford it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Actually yes you would. They are dirt cheap.

mg1300s.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Doesn't everyone have one?

mg1100003.jpg

I was just about to say... I only want one if I can have a see through engine cover - like Tony's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
I only want one if I can have a see through engine cover - like Tony's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That fiberglass/plexi hood is rarer than the car itself! Each US dealer was provided 1 for the showroom so they didn't have to continually open the hood to show customers the hydrolastic suspension, transverse mounted engine & front wheel drive...I'm told there are only about 5 or 6 of them left....the original owner of the car made the dealer give him the hood as well as the steel hood...when I bought the car from him, I was floored when he brought the dealer hood out of his garage.

mg1100002.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
That's cool!!! But you gotta keep that engine really clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - though you can't drive with that hood on the car...when I move it around or outside, I have to open the hood & look through the plexi 'window'...were I to put it on the road as a driver, I'd reinstall the solid steel hood....when my daughter was in high school, she & her friends were forever trying to turn it over - it goes through curves flat because of the hydrolastic suspension....I was constantly getting calls from the MP's about "those girls and that little car'.

R6MGS

Yoda
Just curious, why can't you drive it with that hood? Heat?

Very cool though

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, heat would cloud/crack the plexi.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When we take it to shows, I let my winch pull it onto the trailer, open the hood & drive to my alloted spot & leave hood open until everything's cool then reverse it all to get it home....biggest problem I have is people wanting to touch the plexi.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't everyone have one?

mg1100003.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I'd sure like one. I've been wanting an older or unique British sedan (saloon) like that for a long time. Trouble is either finding a car, or being able to afford the car that's available at the time. One of our car club has a 1968 Rover 2000 TC that he's offering for $400 with lots of extra parts. He's owned the car since new except for a couple of years in the 70s. Sounds ok, except that alot of body panels are rusted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
This is just one of the cars I've found over the years but couldn't get.

swift6

Yoda
I know where you can get good panels for 2000TC's. They are really neat cars to drive as well. The hardest part is explaining to people that Rover actually made cars. A problem a lot of Rover Sedan drivers have in the US.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Beware, if the outer panels are rusty, the inner ones will be too. All outer panels bolt on to the P6, even the roof, so it's an easy fix, but the inner panels are a bear to fix. Check around the rear suspension mounts especially. I used to own a Rover P6, and I know whereof I speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif