• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If y'er gunna B.S. at least do your homework

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Does this sound familier?

I went out to the parking lot at work this afternoon to get somthing out of the TR7, and returning to the building, one of our contracters asked me, "That your car?" I told him... Uh.. Ya. . .. He then asked the year, I told him 1978 and he then told me he had one just like it before he went to college in 1980. I thought, great... this will be a good conversation. So.. I asked him what year his TR7 was and he told me a 1973. First Bell.. They didn't make them in '73 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I expanded a bit and asked him if it was a coupe like mine or a convertable. "AHH No... mine was a convertable," He told me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was then I decided it was time to leave.

At least he didn't ask me if it was a Ford.

Paul

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
At least he didn't ask me if it was a Ford.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, it's not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Saw an MGB for sale at a lot recently - not bad looking, actually. I inquired about it, and the owner of the lot was gushing about what a cream-puff it was. It's a '71-ish model, but has been "updated", according to the lot owner, because the guy who traded (for a Mitsu Eclipse) changed from a mechanical to an electric fuel pump.

mines a 63 bj7 austin healey , i get "gee i didnt know they made a monza top down detaloreo biz zelgoto metura peska floria del mar in that collor" what ya gunna do? any one hear of that one? heck ill buy it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You been talking to Keenan, anthony?

D

Deleted member 3577

I was early for the Ludington to Manitowoc ferry so I stopped in front of a nice little cafe for some coffee.

A couple in Harley t-shirts strolled past the Elva and the Mrs. dallied a bit to check it out.

Her husband announced that while it looked pretty, It was in fact one of the worst products to come out of the FoMoCo in the early 70's on account of serious rust problems & a unreliable engine.
(In an authoritative, supercilious tone)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Like all the ones who declare that my Daimlers are German from D-B.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not? hehehehehe

R6MGS

Yoda
Or the guys who ask where I bought the kit to make my MGA.

My all time favorite are the guys who like to correct you about your own car. At a recent car show: "Nice TR6, what year is it?" "`76" "No this isn't a 76 it should have a dash like this......"
Now, maybe I am being harsh, but it takes a special kind of idiot to try and correct someone about their own car.
I just smiled at him and continued whatever I was doing before he showed up.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Unfortunately, there are some owners out there that don't really know though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a guy at car show insist that my Special Sports was German. When I kept telling him, "no, this is an English car," he got mad and walked away, sure that I was full of beans.

Basil

I actually sometimes enjoy listening to idiots who talk more than they know. Case in point: I once spent an hour at a gas station listening to a guy tell me how to adjust my twin SU's to keep from running rich - My car is most decidedly a ZS car... I still enjoyed the converstion, and the tips from the guy who had once (20 years or so ago) owned a MGB... But it got crazy with the differences that I never let him in on.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When people ask me "What kind of car is that?"
referring to my Cortina MKIII,I tell them that it's
a "Yellow Car".
Then I tell them that it's a "1972 Ford Cortina MKIII".
They usually don't ask any more questions!
Also,when they ask me "What year is it?"
I answer (puzzuled)- "It's 2006".

- Doug

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daimler bit does come from the same gentleman though. After he seperated from Benz and moved to England. At least I think I read that somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Lots written about the Daimler 250 roadster in the new Classic Motorsports magazine. Including a history report. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
When people ask me "What kind of car is that?"
referring to my Cortina MKIII,I tell them that it's
a "Yellow Car".
Then I tell them that it's a "1972 Ford Cortina MKIII".
They usually don't ask any more questions!
Also,when they ask me "What year is it?"
I answer (puzzuled)- "It's 2006".

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had somebody admiring my car, asking what it was (apparently unaware of the MG badges and the MIDGET lettering on the sides), and when I told him it was a Midget, he said "Oh, so it's an MGB Midget?". No, the MGB was a different model. "Then what's a Midget?". Um, that would be the car you're standing next to.

Better still was the poor lady at the title agency. She filled in the info on the new title wrong, so I almost walked out with a title for an MG Roadster with a "mid" body style. I tried to explain that it's an MG Midget, and it's a roadster (the old title had roadster for the body style). "So it's an MG Roadster Midget". No. "Well, is it an MG Roadster or not?". No, a roadster implies a two-seat sports car, the model is a Midget. "Well, we can only put 2D (two door) for the body style, so what are we supposed to do with the roadster designation?". She had to get her supervisor to approve that it really was okay to put "2D" for the body style, and the model really is a Midget.

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Went into the local Box store auto parts one day and asked for an oil filter for my TR7. The kid behind the counter looked at his computer screen for a minute the said" What model Toyota is that?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Went into the local Box store auto parts one day and asked for an oil filter for my TR7. The kid behind the counter looked at his computer screen for a minute the said" What model Toyota is that?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At least your kid had the correct side of the ocean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If everyone who said they had a Bugeye years ago had one there would be nothing else on the road. My friend, my neighbor, my inlaw has one in his garage as well in Tampa, Ok City, Memphis, someplace far away.

Hehe, funny folks.