• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If someone made ma a good offer...

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'm just in one of those funks.... I've been working along on the TR2, but it just seems so far away. Next month, it will have occupied the right half of my garage for 6 years. And it is still in pretty much the same state as it was when I got it. I've done several of the sub assemblies, had the gearbox apart, had the steering box apart, made sure I have all good major reusable components, and done a lot to move it along, but it's still a basket case. the body is just set on the frame, the engine is spread across my work bench, all the bits and pieces are in boxes or on the shelf.......
I just keep thinking that if it were drivable it's be a lot different.
~sigh~..... I've been here before, and held in to rekindle my interest. It worked, but the flame was not as strong as before. Go figure, I fine the grail... a TR2! with almost no rust even! and practically all it's parts.
Never again will I buy a basket case. It needs to be close to running, and in one piece.
Well, I have a long weekend to make some progress, and Watkins Glen Vintage GP is next weekend. maybe that'll help.... Or a fist full of greenbacks...... :jester:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Which is exactly why I put them together first, and then (at least in theory) "restore" a piece at a time.

In practice, I wind up driving it everywhere and only fixing the things that bother me ...

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree with Randell! Get it on the road, drive it until you have to fix something or you want to change something. Then at least you have the thrill of driving it, it will always be a work in progress.... To me it is more fun that way and if you don't like what you did you put it back the way it was. Just drive the TR it was made to be driven not babied!

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My TR3A was purchased in 1976 with a tree growing through it.
Put it on the Road in 1983.

My TR250 purchased Sept. 1999. Almost every night, every weekend and every vacation I worked or chased down parts for the car.
Put on the road in Aug 2006

Well worth it in the end.

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I was going to restore it. It's a kinda-low number car, and very solid. At the present time I have no delusions of restoration. Any work being done is strictly utilitarian. Paint is DP epoxy primer. I would leave this alone, but there were/are several areas of bare metal or bad paint due to previous attempts to strip the car before I got it.
Time and money.... It was completely apart when I got it. It was not my choice to rip it apart in the first place, but my choice to buy it that way.
the engine was already partially torn apart, the gearbox also.
Getting it running is the "far away" of which I speak. 6-7 years ago I had the motivation to chase parts every weekend, tinker every night. but that has waned considerably.
It's do-able. I'm just whining.....
Andrew, If you hit the megamillion, buy on that's ready to go. Don't get sucked into a total resto..

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ben, Ben, Ben...

You have to remember this is just a phase. Just like a 'restoration' is a phase of life, so is the thought you'll never see the holy grail in all it's glory. Tr4Nut posted something earlier that I'd been thinking about "once that paint is on you can see the finish line and it gets really exciting". I was thinking about how many meanings there are in "the finish line". Is it just a line we cross. Do we know when we do? Or is it just someones "line". Can you see the finished lines of the car? I could go on.

My TR3 was a basket case when it was given to me, and I've sunk a ridiculous amount into it (both time and money). I had to take the car completely apart because I've yet to find anything that did not require immediate attention before it could be placed into use. (It was under 20' of storm surge during Katrina.) Did I have second thoughts? Do I still? My original intention was to drive it ASAP, and it still is my intention.

I was discussing this endeavor with a club member and was telling how much I have learned about the ways things were done 50 years ago. How much I learned about TR3s specifically. How much I'd learned about my TR6 during the process and how much I'd learned about our club and other aspects of Triumph ownership -and I was interrupted with "how much you've learned about life".

It's not the destination, it's the journey. You will find your destination, and you will choose what you do on the way there. I hope you find yourself happy when you look back and forward.

You've already made yourself a good offer, you don't need a funk.
Jer

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
BANJO!!! :nopity: Do not weaken! This is just a rough patch you are going through. :wall: You can do it! :yesnod: Relax. :thirsty: All in due time.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Which is exactly why I put them together first, and then (at least in theory) "restore" a piece at a time.

In practice, I wind up driving it everywhere and only fixing the things that bother me ...

It has taken me 6, or maybe 7 or maybe 8 (who knows) cars to really appreciate the wisdom above.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Banjo, if all else fails, I was "this" close to buying the project from you when you had it for sale a while ago, and i STILL want a TR2 project, bad =) So let me know before you do anything with it =D

I'm casually working on selling my perfect TR7 to make garage space for another project... and I'm not even done my TR6 yet, though I'm getting close. The TR7 is too nice for me, a perfect condition low mileage show winner... There's not enough work for me to do on it ! =D

Wanna work on a trade? =D *grins*

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ben,

You're not alone - I've been really thinking that I should sell
everything,& buy whast interests me after that.
But later,reality sets in,& I think that I need to get some projects
going,sell them off,pay off bills,& then start looking for my next car.
"Squirrel!".

- Doug

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Ben,

What sort of $$$ spread (+ or -) would you consider a "Good Offer"? The last time you went thru this phase; You were looking at $5K & "No Bites".

I`m asking for a friend of mine.

Regards,

Russ

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ben,
I am right there with you. I was making progress and life keeps jumping up in the way. I had a house that needs to be sold and I have family members going through health issues. So I know what is is like to hit the wall.

I can't believe it has been almost 5 years since I decided to take on the project and I will say I am still in the beginning. My neighbor Wolff is going great guns and I applaud that....I use that as inspiration. I still am trying to take little projects one by one. I need to make another list....because if I can cross it off the list....it means I am one step closer.

I have been to car shows and the most interesting people I talk to are the ones who have done the work. It shall pass....

I crossed off my list the cleaning/sandblasting of the front thermostat housing and that was it for this week.....but it is done. I would post a picture of my accomplishment but 2 people would read it....LOL. But mentally I got one step closer.......now back to the family

Hang in there and send pics of the battles...we all draw from other projects

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I went through similar feelings as you, Ben, on my Bugeye Sprite. It ended up being a total restoration. That thing sat in my garage for 20 years before I was done. I knew very little about restoring a car, but my biggest mistake was not getting it on the road first and then making repairs/improvements as I went. Some people are thrilled with just the restoration process itself. My biggest pay off is being able to drive it. I learned a lot through my restoration-mostly what not to do. On my TR6 I took a different approach. I got it on the road and made repairs as I went. I also learned to pay for things that were roadblocks -there were just some things that didn't make sense for me to do skill wise or money wise. I rarely meet someone who does all the restoration work themselves anyway. What would it take to get it on the road? What if you had the engine rebuilt by a shop and concentrated on doing other things yourself? Personally, I would not sell it - just my two cents.
Kevin

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Russ, I was dreaming that this car in it's present state is worth anywhere near 5K. That was a "I-really-don't-want-to-sell-it-but-if-I-could-get-crazy-money-it's-gone" phase
I'm not really trying to sell it now. I really deep down would like to get it on the road. I'm just venting my frustration.
Starting the blog helped to kindle some interest, and add some accountability to keeping forward progress moving. It has worked a bit. I've gotten more done this summer that the last 3 put together, but the "finish line" of being able to drive this car even in "rat-rod" form seems so far off.
I worked 2 years at a vintage shop. In that time I did full restorations on a TR4, a TR3b, and an MGB. we also did major work on several other MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars and Austin Healeys, along with some American iron, and the handful of Porsches and whatnot. At that time I was all for making a big name for myself, in the hopes of someday having my own shop. that's where the seed of this project started. I was looking to step up from my clapped out MGs and TR4A to a "properly done" TR2-3.
I'm just hitting all the normal frustrations. No money, little time, waning ambitions....
And that nagging voice looking for a shortcut saying if I could sell this project I could get a hot-rod that could be driven now.
Here's what I'm gonna do today. I gotta go to my in-laws and help fix a hot-water heater, then I'm gonna hang out in the garage with the radio cranked, and really try to get some progress made this weekend.
Goal is to get as many body panels as possible in DP primer. Also I need to get a can of POR-15 to painte the flanges where the fenders bolt on, and take the body off again to get the underside cleaned up and the body mount kit installed. Will also do suspension work while I'm there.
Pics to be added to the blog within 48 hours.
Of course, to those with interest, a big handfull of cash and all this could be yours:D hehehehehe Everything's for sale.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ben
I was in the same position a few months ago, a rattle trap herald, which was all together when I bough it and even driveable but everything in need of major repairs. (I really did NOT appreciate how much work it would be when I bought it!)

I also worked on if for over 6 years and got discouraged along the way, started working on / gave up for a while etc.
But a few weeks ago, I finally got the last few major mechanical issues solved, pasted test and have been driving it like I just stole it for the last few weeks. MAJOR SMILES :thumbsup:

Anyway, just a bit of encouragement.

Miser

My TR6 has taken me over a year and I thought that was a long time. I am ready to put the tub back on the chassis but the body guy is dragging his ass. I think he has other jobs that pay more in front of me. This is fine because I need to save up some money anyway I have spent so much on it as it is.

G

Ben, listen carefully. You will kick yourself if you sell. If not now, maybe much later. This coulde be a retirement project. By the time we're that old we won't be able to touch something like that for what little money we have. Keep it and buy a running, driving Spridget for cheap. You'll get your buzz and still have the car. You can do a little at a time and still have something to drive.

I have my mother's Bug in a barn. I know I won't touch it for years but it's still there.

Some things you just can't replace. That TR is one of 'em....well at least for us guys.

Besides, you're "building" something else far more important than an old car. You never know when the TR might become helpful in that pursuit. Incorporate it into what you are doing now. Get the kids involved and make it a "delivery" vehicle. :wink:

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
so, what I need is a piece of land with a pole barn....
hehehe.
yesterday was hot and muggy. got the in-laws hot water tank fixed, then went to 5-guys for lunch. I was so full from that, I sat around for over an hour letting things settle before I even thought of doing any work.
I headed out to the garage, started sanding and got a call from my parents who thought they had run out of gas in the MG about 15 miles away. By the time I responded they had already gotten some gas using Haggertys roadside assistance. But I think they may have a fuel pump issue. (Of course only 1 week before Watkins Glen Vintage!)
Finally I got to work, was just dripping wet from the humidity, so I plugged in my trusty old box fan, just to get shocked.... Gotta re-do the wiring I guess.
I did manage to get the left rear fender mounting area cleaned up, and the small patch at the bottom of the dog leg welded in and smoothed out. I gotta go out today for some good rust proofing paint, and I should be ready to put on the fender.
I believe I can get away without taking the body off again. I'll know by tonight.
Anybody going to Watkins next weekend? I'd like to go , but I don't wanna go by myself. that's no fun.
P.S.
Thanks for letting me vent, and offering encouragement. Like I said, I wasn't really looking to sell, I was more just vocalizing my frustration. It seems to have helped.