• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 I have Webers in my TR6 - now looking for SUs

TRnorwegian

Bought the car last year with the carbs already rebuilt.

I don't think they will add any performance as long as nothing else was done to the power packet. And I'm not planning to start any major upgrades.

I'm not trained to tune Webers myself, and good help is hard to come by where I live (Norway). A friend suggested I change back to original carbs, and it sounds like a good idea.

Or what do you guys think? Any interest in buying my Webers? Any ideas where I should look for SUs?

Rgds, Anders from Oslo
IMG_3840.jpg

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Why not stock ZS? They work pretty well if they are in good shape, and they are easy to rebuild and tune. Certainly easier to rebuild and tune than the SUs (not that SU's aren't great).

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Have you asked on the UK TR Register Forum? I would imagine that there may be some people on there who would be keen to have your Webers and there could be others who have taken carbs off their American import to fit fuel injection. Didn't the TR6 use Strombergs?

LBCs_since_1988

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I had 1 3/4 SUs in my old 1973 TR6. One VERY nice upgrade by a previous owner. NOT a DPO in this case :thumbsup:

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

NickMorgan said:
Have you asked on the UK TR Register Forum? I would imagine that there may be some people on there who would be keen to have your Webers and there could be others who have taken carbs off their American import to fit fuel injection. Didn't the TR6 use Strombergs?

You're quite right. Standard spec is Strombergs, and that's what I'm looking for. Your UK connection idea sounds logic. To me it's also much closer.
Thanks y'all.

Anders - Up North

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you want your Webs' tuned. Find an independant Ferrari mech.
They'll do it

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I have 2 ZS's listed on Ebay right now that I removed from my engine prior to ripping it to pieces.

I have a reserve on them of $250, but it looks like I won't be getting it by tomorrow.

The carbs have been rebushed and rebuilt and worked fine on my TR4, but I'm now putting 2 Weber 45DCOE's on it due to the many performance upgrades I've made to the engine.

I don't know if these are the same carbs a TR6 uses and I'm sure the intake won't work for you, but it they're interchangeable, maybe we could work a trade.

Let me know.
web.jpg

web.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I used a guy in Md for my Downdraft on my Capri.
He was great, kinda of full of himself though.
I bet if you Wiki a Ferrari mechanic it probably list that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

A triple Weber setup (DCOE's, NOT those poxy downdraught thingies!) is LOADS better than a ZedS setup. Tune 'em ONCE and drive forever. No diaphragms to rupture, an honest set of accelerator pumps built in, BEARINGS instead of bushings for the shafts... The suggestion of finding a knowledgeable Ferrari wrench makes a lot of sense if ya don't want to have a go yourself.

I will ~assume~ them to be 40mm. 45's would be a bit of overkill... but will work just fine if jetted and choked correctly for the application.

Have you looked at the plugs to see if it even NEEDS to be fiddled with? Some "plug cuts" would be a good First Step in deciding if something needs looking into.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Uh oh, here we go.... LOL.

Makes sense to try and tune them before throwing in the towel - heck, they are already on the car.

Anders - is there a local TR club in town?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I put dgv's on mine 3 years ago after rejetting them and havent had to touch them since'
my performance increased 110% over my old stock strom's

I had the Stroms set up on my 73' GT6 & they were GREAT~!

Trip DCOE's may be a completely different animal thou....

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

Thanks to you all for good advice. I,m wiser, but not necessarily more confident with regards to which option is the better.

I've tried having the Webers tuned, and I may even find someone with more expertise down the coast, a couple of hours away. (Since my personal Ferrari mechanic is constantly busy working on all my vintage Ferraris.)

Even so, these DCOE 40s has a reputation of backfiring, well deserved I might add, since the engine caught fire 4 times during two weeks in June. Last time the car nearly went up in flames. Been in the worshop since then.

So my confidence in this set up has deteriated. But guess what?
I just traced the Stromberg dual carbs belonging to my car to the guy who modified it to Webers (2 owners down). They're sitting on his garage floor in Florida, and he'll sell them to me for $ 150, including the original intake manifold.
He advise me to buy a rebuilding kit for both carburetors, because they
have sat idle for more than 3 years. He knows carburetor rebuild kit sold for $74.95 per carburetor.

Does it matter which rebuild kit I use?

Rgds,
Anders in Oslo

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Frying pan to fire!!

Usually Webers spit back 'cause they're too rich. The FIRE was 'cause the timing is off somehow.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'd say it's running a little rich if the carbs are catching fire. I don 'r know enough about that style to say the "float" is to high.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Idle jets, most likely... and TIMING.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Probably good to have the strombergs.... But. Like Doc said, if possible, use the DCOEs. The engine has to be RIGHT. Valves adjusted correctly, timing spot on (to the cars needs, NOT the US emission control sticker) Try 10 degrees BTDC at idle, and around 32 to 36 degrees BTDC at 3000 RPM. Then, get down to adjusting the webers. There are some good books on the subject, but I cannot put my fingers on the one I am thinking of at the moment. I *think* it might have been a Haynes manual of all things. It had charts showing emulsion tubes arranged from rich to lean, and so on. (The numbers on them are no help that way, they seem to have been numbered at random...) The jets numbers do increase as more fuel or air flows.You would do well to find someone that does this work already, so that maybe you can swap jets, emulsion tubes etc, instead of having to shell out cash for 6 of everything. However, once done, there is nothing like a correctly set up set of webers. We used to call them the "pipe organ" both because of the looks, and the sound. The other thing that enters my mind, it to look at airboxes on cars equipped with webers from the factory. They are usually substantial, not just cheezy filters stuck to the carb mouths. Fabricating something more like that, with a remotely mounted filter might cure the fire danger. Also, CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUSHER IN YOUR CHERISHED CAR AT ALL TIMES!!!!.

boxofparts

Country flag
Very nice set up.. Another option is to look for Volvo SU carbs considering your location. I think the P1800s had HS6s that would fit with the standard Triumph manifold.

Weber vs. ZS vs. SU ... I would take the SU for the simplicity of the carb.