• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

How to start an engine stored for six months or more?

twas brillig

Freshman Member
Offline
We've had an Austin-Healey 3000 for over 40 years but only started driving it (sporadically) in the last five or eight. Did a compression/leak down test on it 18 years ago and all was good; did a compression test last week (one bad cylinder 60 psi) and a boroscope inspection Friday. No piston or valve damage, but seemed to be a lot of scoring on the cylinder walls. We'll be looking at a rebuild (or sale some day with engine as is, with a heads up, as it runs okay). But! Why the scoring?
I'm guessing that the infrequent starting means that the cylinder walls would be truly dry and no lubrication. Thoughts? And if you store a vehicle and don't start it for - say - six months (we get winter and gravel on the roads in Calgary, and store it in a Car Capsule so can't really fire it up every two weeks), what should one do when summer doth come?
I"m posting here and the Healey site because we have a bugeye that we've stored for over fifty years (plan is to have it on the road next year; did start the engine this past summer) as well as one that we've driven off and one for years, but not for the last five. So those motors would be exposed to the same issues.
My thinking:
- for the first tank of gas in the warm weather, throw in some traditional two stroke motorcycle/small engine oil. Use the recommended ratio on the jug. Dunno how badly that'll smoke and pollute
- pull the plugs and squirt some (a tablespoon? (whatever that amounts to)) into each cylinder. Regular engine oil or the two stroke again?
- just generic: we've been doing very little mileage per year. Different folks change oil for different mileages (3000 miles? 5,000 miles?) but what is the general feeling as to the mileage that warrants an oil and filter change before parking it for the winter? If the car's had less than a thousand miles on it since the last change, I'd be inclined to leave it. But -are there any guidelines on this? Any purpose to just changing the filter?
thanks, Doug
 
Honestly Doug, I wouldn't worry. I let Ms Triss sit for the same 6 months (Maybe a little less - because Ontario not Calgary) and I just start it up in the spring. If you wanted I suppose you could shoot some fogging oil in the cylinders in the fall. It will burn off quickly in the spring. Honestly I tend to change my oil about every two years - mostly because I forget or don't get around to it. I do use Lucas Oil stabilizer because I found it added a few pounds to my oil pressure.

I would just run it - doubly so if there is a rebuild in the cards.

1791154552351.png
 
Thanks! forgot about fogging oil; shall throw some of the Lucas Oil stabilizer in next week as the Healey's oil pressure has really 'subsided'. Grasping for straws! Doug
 
Living up in the Utah mountains I generally put my cars away in early November and many years don't get them back out until March or April (lots of road salt here). I'll add some fuel stabilizer in the fall when I put the cars away, and then just start them up in the spring. I do oil changes every spring and give each car a service, check fluids, grease chassis, etc. I don't worry about the mileage (my Morris has never had a working speedo/odometer anyways). I figure that it's cheap insurance, and gives me a reason to look over the car every spring to make sure everything is still in good working order.
 
Back
Top