• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to apply Koolmat

richberman

Jedi Warrior
I have the Koolmat and I have the recommended 3M spray adhesive. My question is do I spray the back of the Koolmat and the metal or just the Koolmat? Any help would be helpful.
rich

Country flag
If you are using 3M adhesive (black rattle can with red cap), follow the instructions EXACTLY. I believe both surfaces need to be sprayed and a 4 minute waiting time before putting together. Pre-fit everything. You may want to do half at a time so you can position it. Then lift the unattached part and spray on the adhesive.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
KOOLMAT® INSTALLATION
INSTRUCTIONS

1. Decide which way you plan to install the KoolMat, then measure.

2. You can measure each section as in Diagram 1a. Measure firewall first, then measure driver, tunnel and passenger side to get length of material. KOOLMAT is 30" wide.

3. drawing 1b shows measuring across the car from driver to passenger sides. Allow for curves and up and down motion in the floor. Measure firewall separate, then across the front and then the back. If you have 3 30" wide pieces 5' long then you need 15' of material 30" wide

4. Racers usually need 3' to 7' of material for driver applications only. Remember...if you use KOOLMAT as a gasket when bolting the seat in you will have less transfer of heat to the seat from the frame of the car. Seat applications of KOOLMAT help to lower heat another 10Âş. Put KOOLMAT in all areas between seat belt restraints. Then reinstall the seat padding and cover.
Helpful Hints: Any dealer should be able to help with measurements.

1. Install floor or flat areas first. High areas such as a tunnel can be last. Piece any area which looks difficult. Sections are easier to put in place than a large bulky piece.

2. Pie sections can be inserted when you cut the material so it will lay down. When cutting it will split open like a pie shape. Insert a piece of KOOLMAT and glue it down. Later, silicone the top slit where you butted or overlapped the material. This keeps the heat from coming in off the frame and helps to keep cool air conditioning inside.

3. Open transmission area can be repaired by making a flat gasket over the open shifter area. Just cut a flat gasket and put slits looking like an asterisk in the middle, then drop over the shifter and seal it to the top of the floor. Add boot, chrome plate and fasten down. No more Heat!!!
4. Silicone all top slits after glueing down KOOLMAT to the floor. If heat can not get in the air can not get out.

5. Carpet: Spot silicone carpet in. Don't go crazy. Spot in lightly in critical areas. Add padding before carpet if needed. Padding can be spotted in with silicone and then carpet glued to padding. Make sure kick panel slits are siliconed too!

Glue to use: 3M Super Spray Adhesive #8090 to glue white fiberglass to floor areas. Use any clear silicone to seal the slits where you butt the material together on the top side.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep but the spray is so much simpler and handier;

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
I actually found that using a can of cement and a brush was more precise and far less messy.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
richberman said:
How many cans will it take?

I would get a couple of the standard size cans to be safe, it has other uses so it will not go to waste