• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many of you have or had an Austin A40 Somerset

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not a lot of them around these boards, so, please, stay and keep us posted. I am not actually aware of any - but there are a couple of A30's. That said, I don't know if you have come across Joe Lightfoot in Picton ON? He has a bunch of (mostly too far gone to restore) cars in his backyard and, I believe has a number of A40's if you need parts.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
These little cars seem to be as rare as hen's teeth!!!

They are, partly rust, partly the fact that they were never remarkable (or worth preserving back in the day) and, now it costs far more to restore than they will ever be worth. I know a few years ago there was a Somerset Convertible (I think even for sale) at British Car Day at Bronte. I remember someone commenting that it would be lovely restored if someone didn't mind that there would never be appropriate return on investment.

BTW - you have maybe seen this picture - dumping NEW A40's at sea - from Victoria.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45379817@N08/7273474918/

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I know that if you were to poll across Canada (and the United States) simply through the various networks of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada, you would find quite a few around still, you aren't as alone as you think you are...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've just applied to the British Car Club of Canada and am waiting on my membership approval.

I am a member, and I still think they are thin on the ground, which makes them even more interesting in my eyes.

whitebuffalo

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm envious of yours, as you have the floor shift and a great grill! However mine does have a running engine.

I am not sure where the transmission came from. While cleaning it up to see what I have to do I noticed that the floor was roughly cut around the transmission so it is a transplant from something else. It seems to be a three speed so not sure what it is from. I have a four speed from an MGB so will put that in and fix the floor appropriately. I plan on adding an 1800 to it as well. :encouragement:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
In 1966, when I was about 15 years old, I bought one for $20 and used it for a "woods car" to drive around (illegally) in the South Jersey Pine Barrens. Long gone, but great memories. The A40 engine burned a lot of oil. I was always begging for used oil from my Dad or neighbors (after they did an oil change). The car never got actual "new" oil. One time, we couldn't find any oil so I went searching in my father's shed. I found "oil-based" paint. I figured, "What the heck....better than nothing!". The exhaust smelled awful for quite a while after that. Eventually, the engine spit a rod and piston out. I pulled the pan and cleaned it out as best as I could. Then I re-sealed the oil pan with sheet metal, canvas, self-tap screws, caulk and probably whatever. I disconnected the valves on the dead cylinder. After that, it was a "triple" instead of a "four". It leaked more than ever, so I would put an old bucket under it to catch the dripping oil.....and then pour it back in. I still have the rod that escaped from that engine. It's a paper-weight on my desk. Here's pictures of it from back in the day:
a-40_turn.jpg
nial_a40-2.jpg
nial_a40-4.jpg

OP
B
In 1966, when I was about 15 years old, I bought one for $20 and used it for a "woods car" to drive around (illegally) in the South Jersey Pine Barrens. Long gone, but great memories. The A40 engine burned a lot of oil. I was always begging for used oil from my Dad or neighbors (after they did an oil change). The car never got actual "new" oil. One time, we couldn't find any oil so I went searching in my father's shed. I found "oil-based" paint. I figured, "What the heck....better than nothing!". The exhaust smelled awful for quite a while after that. Eventually, the engine spit a rod and piston out. I pulled the pan and cleaned it out as best as I could. Then I re-sealed the oil pan with sheet metal, canvas, self-tap screws, caulk and probably whatever. I disconnected the valves on the dead cylinder. After that, it was a "triple" instead of a "four". It leaked more than ever, so I would put an old bucket under it to catch the dripping oil.....and then pour it back in. I still have the rod that escaped from that engine. It's a paper-weight on my desk. Here's pictures of it from back in the day:
a-40_turn.jpg
nial_a40-2.jpg
nial_a40-4.jpg
Not a bad looking A40 Devon ;)

rvm

Freshman Member
Country flag
Currently have two, a four dour sedan and a coupe. Both in need of a lot of work. The sedan is sacrificing itself for the coupe.53austfrt.jpg
Both engines were seized so looking for options.
Cheers
Ross
Calgary

OP
B
@RVM you might try some ATF mixed with Acetone 50/50 dumped down the spark plug holes and leave it for a few days and then trying a bar to work the crank back and forth a little at a time. I've saved engines in the past this way. After I get my 3rd here I can see if I have 2 engines that will rotate (I have 1 now)If so I will probably let one go as I intend to restore one, rod one and use the third for parts.