• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A How bad is this? Vertical link

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Just wondering what you guys think about this vertical link.

About half the threads are somewhat deteriorated. Maybe it rusted under the care of a PO?

With the threads fully engaged I can wiggle the trunnion .010 in using the setup in the photo. But it seems like when held by the ball joint there is little or no opportunity for the link to move in this direction? I'm not seeing any noticeable play in any other direction.

I also checked the run-out of the upper bore (for the ball joint) with the threads chucked in the lathe and got around .050 in.

IMG_20181204_185159.jpgIMG_20181204_185305.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Personally, I would replace assembly, new if possible, good used if not. I like non-corrosion, especially the way I drive.

D

Deleted member 8987

One of my vehicles uses .... 14 trunnions. Now has 12, but that was a vintage repair.

Looking at that, yes, some rust, but I sure have seen wear (like lots of driving and no lube jobs) on the steel threaded bits.

Junk.
Replace.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
+1 on replace. There's lots of margin, it will probably be fine if you don't go jumping other cars or whatever, but not worth taking a chance IMO.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
+3 replace.

Cheers
Tush

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I don't know if these are as prone to snapping off the way they are on neglected Heralds, Spitfires, etc., but having experienced a snapped trunnion on a Spitfire while in motion, I'm +4 on replacing!

Glad I didn't know that when I did a half dozen fairly quick laps, for an aging dead stock Herald, on a race course last summer. (Our Club got a free ride)

Tom

Here's the course: https://clubmotorsports.com/course

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would expect the rust-roughned threads to wear down the brass trunion every time you made a turn. Should be some good used out there; early TR4s used the straight v-link as well. Jeff

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Glad I didn't know that when I did a half dozen fairly quick laps, for an aging dead stock Herald, on a race course last summer. (Our Club got a free ride)

For some reason, it seems more prone to happening at low speeds!? In my instance, I was almost at work, having just exited off some rather high, curvy bridge ramps and back down to very low speed coming out of a tunnel...when the LF vertical link snapped at about 10-15 mph! Took a minute or two for it to sink in that it could have happened high above the streets of Albany NY! :shocked::eeek:

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I would expect the rust-roughned threads to wear down the brass trunion every time you made a turn. Should be some good used out there; early TR4s used the straight v-link as well. Jeff

Oddly enough, the trunnion looks fine. About half the threads on the link are good, while the ones in the bad area are visibly eaten away from their full thread profile. I suspect the good threads are holding everything in place well enough that the bad threads are not even touching the trunnion.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hmmm - Interesting observation and your explanation does seem logical. Since they weren't touching, moisture could get in there to rust the v-link.

Jeff

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hmmm - Interesting observation and your explanation does seem logical. Since they weren't touching, moisture could get in there to rust the v-link.

I've been careful about keeping it lubed and there was no red rust on it when I took it out. Looks like somebody in the past cleaned it up and stuck it back in.