• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hind Sight is 20/20, Or is it?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A little long story but. When building the 72, 17 months worth, I documented everything, just so nothing would be left to chance. How many times I went over the log to make sure nothing was missed, I don't know, but it was a lot. Gatlinburg 06 was steadily approaching and we had to get the car done. The new engine was on the stand, the rebuilt tranny was waiting in the wings and the car was ready to put them in. Getting nervous as the calender pages were slipping by, Gburg 06 was two weeks away. All went together perfectly, put it on the trailer with only 10 test miles on it and off we went. Since that time we have driven the car about 500 miles. The other day I uncovered it, started it up to warm up, moved it out of the barn and noticed a large wet, oil, spot where the front of the tranny was setting. The front seal of the tranny is leaking. It should have lasted longer than a couple of years, the original one lasted over 30 years. I found out by looking in the log I kept, that trying to hurry, I never replaced the front seal with a new one. Guess where the new one is, in the cabinet with other spare parts. Guess where the old one is? Now the lump and the tranny has to come out. Sooooooooooo. The spare engine project is on hold. Oh well, at least it isn't replacing a windshield. Thank goodness for small favors.
remoteImage.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's a dirty shame we're so geographically distant, Paul. I'd volunteer to help, it'd go like clockwork. Four hours, tops. :wink:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, Once the tranny is out, how hard is it to get the old seal out and replace it? I have a couple of conventional seal pullers, but don't know if they'll work on a "B" transmission front seal.
confused0031.gif

Oh, when did you say your moving to South Carolina?
happy0148.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Seal is in the front plate inside the bell-housing, Paul.I seem to recall 6 or so bolts hold it (the front cover plate) in place. It's a lip seal, common. It'll come out with a regular seal removal "hook" or just tapping it out with a drift. New one is installed with the usual technique. Sometimes I've been known to use a piece of 2x4 as a drift to keep it straight when tapping it in place. :wink:

R

RonMacPherson

Make sure you fill the "lip" of the seal with a good light grease..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whoa!! Seals got LIPS?!?!

Next you'll be tellin' us hens got teeth!! :devilgrin: :jester:

R

RonMacPherson

You thinkin' penguins.......
Now get back to work.!

That resume can use some refreshin'.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Tryin to order the new fixins from Tony. He'll get back to me when he's not so busy. To cold in the barn anyway. Ah, for spring! Where's it at?
confused0031.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm at my daughter's until tomorrow morning...then, I'll be placing an order to Moss & to VB.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
I'm at my daughter's until tomorrow morning...then, I'll be placing an order to Moss & to VB.

That's ok Tony, I'm in no big rush. Like I said before, it's to cold in the barn anyway. If I fire the furnace up while the temp is below 40, condensation forms on everything.

We've all been there, a few year ago we worked night and day to get the Huffaker MGB to the Walter Mitty for the MG vs Triumph feature race, I had to get help to finish the car, I was working with a Quiafe racing tranny that was bear to fit in chassis, I think I pulled the engine/tranny in and out like 14 times form in the floor to running in like 5 days, I was no more than dead man walking working 18 hour days to meet the dealine. it was never the way we intended for the car to make it's first race weekend, in my frustation to get the engne tranny isdsue worked out, I trusted my helpers to finsih the suspension work. The orgnal paln would have included a few test days before the forst race outing, but that was all out the window now. Long story short the Mitty outing was less than what we wanted, my helers made some mistakes with suspension, that we fought all weekend, some components that were a-ok before the resto, took a crap in the first trial runs, and the car was retired before the races ever started. We went home, threw the shedule in the garbage can, and got the car right then. In hindsight, we should have never tried to make that race, but we hoped for the best, afterall I pulled off such crazy deadline before. Yep hindsight is 20/20, and we allearn form our mistakes, I truely feel your pain. Only thin I can add is take your time, and get it rigt this time, I know now that is the approach I take, but i'm sure I'l forget thsiis lesson over time again :smile: :smile: