• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Help getting my 1980 MGB to pass CA smog test

JohnGone

Country flag
I could use some advice for preparing my 1980 MGB (new to the state) to pass the CA Smog test. I am in the SF Bay Area. Is these a shop, freelance mech or others that specializes in this?

OP
JohnGone

JohnGone

Country flag
Here is my new (1980) MGB in red on the back of the trailer to San Francisco. The truck driver said he had two inquiries about buying the car on his was across country.

Now that Thanksgiving is over I can start to focus on getting this car properly equipped. At some time in the cars history the smog gear was removed and a nice Edelbrock carb was installed. But now it is time to get this baby able to meet or exceed CA emissions standards. Any help sourcing parts, and shop referrals much appreciated.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Good luck. You need to find someone who removed all the smog off of their 1980 to help. Some bits are NLS like most hoses, etc.
How much is missing?

OP
JohnGone

JohnGone

Country flag
I am thinking I need to connect with a mechanic / shop who has done this a few times (recommends gladly accepted), then take the list from the shop manual and start scouring junk yards across the states. Or buy a complete kit from a member this list... if there is one available.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Not all that easy, as you need a certain carb to make it Cali legal. I have removed may smog systems in the past as the car where exported. All parts long gone.
Keep in mind the California does not want you car here.
Good idea and that’s what I suggested will be the easiest route for you.

OP
JohnGone

JohnGone

Country flag
Not all that easy, as you need a certain carb to make it Cali legal. I have removed may smog systems in the past as the car where exported. All parts long gone.
Keep in mind the California does not want you car here.
Good idea and that’s what I suggested will be the easiest route for you.
Darth, I am not clear on your message. Are you saying what I want to do is next to impossible because these parts are all gone, and the best route is to sell the car out of CA?

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You need carb number C3851 for starters. Manifold, cat, vapor recovery,etc.
Order a Moss Motors catalog and it will show what’s required.
Look on flea bay for a start.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Message sent

OP
JohnGone

JohnGone

Country flag
You need carb number C3851 for starters. Manifold, cat, vapor recovery,etc.
Order a Moss Motors catalog and it will show what’s required.
Look on flea bay for a start.
Thank you for the specific carb number. I am shopping for it, the manifold and some of these many items starting today.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had the devil's own time trying to convince Florida Inspectors the "box" in the Alfa Spider's exhaust was a cat converter on the last of the inspections. It always involved "higher-ups" at the station, consulting manuals 'n such. Finally got a passing conclusion after much back-and-forth discussion. And the tailpipe sniff was never an issue! Glad they did away with those "inspections" here.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had 1 inspector in Virginia give me a solid run-around on many things - they actually measured the distance from the edge of the dashboard to the glass claiming the state had a minimum spec that it had to pass (and what did they expect me to do if it didn't - move the windscreen?). They also wanted to fail me because the brake lights didn't operate with the key off - it took producing a copy of the factory wiring diagram and getting someone who was able to understand it to acknowledge that it was built that way from the factory.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reading all this makes me realise how lucky we are in the UK when it come to historic vehicles,
Pre 1982 vehicle no longer need an MOT test for road worthy, although some owners still do have there cars tested,
the MOT includes an emissions test but does not have to be as good as a modern car,
Theres is no road tax to pay as they are exempt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I had 1 inspector in Virginia give me a solid run-around on many things - they actually measured the distance from the edge of the dashboard to the glass claiming the state had a minimum spec that it had to pass (and what did they expect me to do if it didn't - move the windscreen?). They also wanted to fail me because the brake lights didn't operate with the key off - it took producing a copy of the factory wiring diagram and getting someone who was able to understand it to acknowledge that it was built that way from the factory.
That was either sportscar envy or "ferrin car" dislike. We lived in Hampton, VA for three years, 1970~'73, had my '66 B, a B-GT and the Elan with VA tags. Back then it was more of a"safety inspection": Brakes, lights, wipers and tire wear. The MG's were never an issue but the Elan confused the heck outta them. "It's too SMALL!" was one response. :LOL:

OP
JohnGone

JohnGone

Country flag
Thank you for the specific carb number. I am shopping for it, the manifold and some of these many items starting today.
Found a very clean ZS carb and a donor, found two manifolds (I may have a spare soon), EGR valve and assorted bits. I still need the Air pump assembly. I am still a way from completion. I will post progress once we start unbolting, and bolting.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sounds great and yes, keep us posted.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not sure if they still do this,but when I lived in California,
I'd have them do a "pre-test" to see if it would pass,before doing
the actual test.That way,if it fails,it isn't on the record.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Many years ago in New York, inspection required at least one windshield wiper, BUT didn't require a windshield.