• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello

Cabrioman

Just posting to say HI.
I am looking at a 1966 TR4A IRS at the moment and i'm hoping if i can sort out some little issues as regards to obtaining the car, i'll be able to restore it.
Picture of the car as it stands.............
DSCF0452-1.jpg

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Nice looking car and an interesting collection in that field. How long has the TR been sitting there?

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

Not sure, I think i saw it being moved from across the road about 10 months ago, but it was covered up so could have been 1 of the other cars.
I am unsure how long it was sitting before someone moved it though.
There's 2 MG's parked behind it and a bodyshell of something but no idea what that is. There is also a Lancia sitting on the other side of the straw bales but not sure what model it is.
Looks 90% complete but i need to open the bonnet to see what condition the engine is in.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Cabrioman, welcome. Great choice of cars imo, as well as color. :thumbsup:
Here is mine out on one of the last days before snow:

Attachments

• 20044.jpg
    20044.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 717

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Cabrioman said:
.... and a bodyshell of something but no idea what that is.

That body shell is a Peerless GT.

https://www.peerless-gt.co.uk/page43.html

Can you take a few more photos of the car and locate the VIN number. It is under the bonnet on the wheel well. It is a short number... something like GT2 00XXX.

There are not too many accounted for (~75) and us Peerless guys would like to track the rest of the herd.

Thx. Oh by the way, best of luck with the TR!!

Dean

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

That looks spot on mate.
You can't beat a classic in my opinion.
Would love to see some more pictures if you have any,

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

not sure if it is a Peerless GT as the link shows no front quarter windows where the bodyshell has them. but i will look for you.

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

Yum :bow:
If i can make the one i'm looking at half as good as yours i think i'll have a winner :driving:

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Don't look too close, most of the paint is original, but then I'm not afraid to go down a road like you see in photo. I get almost as excited every time I go out to the shed as the first night it was home 3 years ago. You better get over and sort out those issues.

T

TRDejaVu

Hi Cabrioman and welcome. I grew up and lived up in West Sussex towns before moving away.

HealeyBN7

Country flag
Cabrioman said:
not sure if it is a Peerless GT as the link shows no front quarter windows where the bodyshell has them. but i will look for you.

Good catch. The later cars had the front quarter windows. The primary reason for the shift was to provide some strength to the very weak door frame design. Here is a link to a Phase 2 car. Only about 50 Phase 2 cars were built.

https://www.peerless-gt.co.uk/page31.html

Thanks again!!

Dean

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

TRDejaVu said:
Hi Cabrioman and welcome. I grew up and lived up in West Sussex towns before moving away.
Where abouts?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Nice find. Critical spots are in the frame rails just in front of the rear wheel wells. TR4A-6 are prone to rot there. BTW that 4A is sporting the very desirable surry top. That alone is worth a good chunk of change.
Hope it works out for you.

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

TRDejaVu said:
Cabrioman said:
TRDejaVu said:
Where abouts?
East Grinstead, Crawley Down and Handcross. Where are you?
Crawley :banana:
But the car is in Balcombe

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I'm with Richard as to nice choice of car and color. :wink:

I asked in your other thread on the luggage rack what a TR4A in that condition would go for in the UK? I'd be concerned about rust given the condition of the rear fender seams and definitely check the frame where the rear A-arms mount as Banjo mentioned.

My original TR4A had similar rear fender body work done and I ended up doing an inner tub and frame replacement with 4 donor fenders when I restored it. The only body parts I used were the hood, doors and trunk lid. Luckly this was 28 years ago when parts like that were cheap ($175 for a rust-free inner body shell and frame).

Scott

OP
Cabrioman

Cabrioman

Hey Scott,
No idea how much it would go for in the condition it is in.
Don't even know how much it's worth if restored.
What is the issue with the seams?
I don't know what i'm looking at.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
A TR4 or TR4A should have beading in the front and rear seams where the fenders bolt to the body to cover the seams.

TR4/TR4A fender beading

The fact that someone has filled in the rear seams could possibly be a sign of rust in that area. You'll want to check for rust in the floors, rockers, lower front fender area where it covers the rocker panel, rear fenders and the inner body area where the rear fenders bolt on (check through the trunk) and factor in the cost to repair any rust found. This is in addition to the frame where the A-arms attach as mentioned before.

Note that the Surrey top is a desireable option here in the US and go for quite a bit when they come up for sale so that would up the price somewhat.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Scott

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Ok now I will agree with Scott and say a through check for rust would be prudent. While we are all excited about your new car rust is no friend. If the rear fender seams were filled due to rust you can be sure it is other places. It might be a good idea to take additional photos and post or better yet find someone there familiar with TR's to have a look with you. Knowing my skills no rust was the only absolute in looking for a car. I would have bought a clean MG before a rusty TR. Best wishes