• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello!... and roadside assistance recommendations?

Mark_Barton

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello All from a new(-ish) '62 TR4 owner on Long Island. I've had my car for a couple of months, my first classic, and the first car I've ever really approached with a wrench for anything other than a wheel change.

I've been having a great time tinkering with this and that, and plundering BCF for advice. First job was to adjust the valve clearances and replace a leaky valve cover gasket, and I found Justin Wagner through this forum and bought one of his excellent gaskets, and despite the cover being not entirely straight, I'm now leak-free!

Second job of any note was to change the water pump after the old one let me down somewhere in Jersey and cost me a fortune for a 100-mile ride home on a flatbed.

All running again now, but I wonder if anyone can recommend a really good roadside recovery plan in case I get stranded again. I've been looking at AAA, Road America, Allstate, but none of them seem to tow you further than the nearest garage.

I know already that trying to get a Woodruff key to fit at a regular parts store is a bit of an exercise, so I was wondering what clubs/plans you guys recommend. Ideally I'd like one that will get me home, so I can do the repairs myself!

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Welcome Mark,
You have good taste in cars and it is great to hear that you are working on the car yourself.
Can't help you with the road-side assistance, I am afraid, unless you are planning to drive to Europe!!
I am sure you will get some good advice here, though.
Nick

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
AAA Platinum,or whatever your local AAA calls it is a total deal. Not the only choice, but well worth the $ if you plan on using the call. In SoCal it is under $125 a year.

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Welcome, it is great to have another TRactor driver on the BCF

I don't want to open Pandora's insurance topic box, but Hagerty Classic insurance has roadside assistance as an extra option so maybe your insurer does, too.

AAA Premium has an extended towing range (200 miles?).

Good luck.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
If you're old enough........though some people hate them....AARP has the best price and most complete coverage that I could find. When I had my recent fuel tank blockage, they had a slider out to me in about 40 minutes and they took the car and me to my house. No money changed hands except for the tip I gave the guy because he was so concerned about taking good care of the car. I went with their Premier Plan which I think cost $62 for the year. You get towing up to 100 miles too and covers two drivers.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
CinneaghTR said:
Also, join the Vintage Triumph Register. They provide a PDF listing of individuals by state willing to help you when you need it. You don't have to be a member to get the list, but it is a great organization.
:iagree: And, last I knew, the Long Island Triumph Association, a VTR Chapter, was still active...and a great bunch of folks!

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Hi Mark & welcome to the 'BENCHMARK'of LBC forums.Give Hagerty or Grundy classic car insurers a call.Hagerty's number is 1-800-922-4050 i have Hagerty & they are very affordable also for a small extra cost they give you 3 50mi flatbed quality transports.For example my Hagerty ins 'agreed value'of $10,500 is $100.00 yr. $15.00more gives you better tow coverage than standard policys....You'll save money.
I recommend either classic car insurance co's.Another thing they know much-much more about LBC's than Allstate,Nationwide,or any others.

swift6

Yoda
Another vote for AAA, primarily because it is tied to you and not a specific car. I've never had a problem with them towing me wherever I've wanted them to tow me either. Plans might vary from region to region but I get 100 miles of free towing for $72/year, 4 tows without question, after that they might ask a question or two though. :wink:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hagerty covers flatbed for ALL of my cars for the extra $80 per year.

I still keep AAA for roadside assistance locally. Like in changing a flat in the rain on the side of RT95, which would never appeal to me, let alone with cars flying by at 75-80 MPH only five feet away.

tomshobby

Yoda
We have AAA Platinum and the service has been great. Twice in the last three years they have picked us up with a flatbed and deposited us and our TR6 in our driveway. Actually in the garage. They also made sure the drivers were respectful of our car and treated it with care.

The only thing they did not do was make sure the neighbors were not watching, both times we had a complete audience of neighbors when we arrived home and were treated to a liberal dose of razzing. All in good spirits.

T

Tinster

Welcome to the BCF!!

I carry a few spare parts and tools to make roadside
repairs for items that commonly breakdown. I have
saved $thousands in tow fees over the past 3 years.
We now have AAA onisland and I use them as well.

spareparts4.jpg

spareParts-2-1.jpg

dale

OP
Mark_Barton

Mark_Barton

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks; looks like I'll have to go AAA, although I can't get "AAA Plus" as they seem to call it, until my second year of membership. I'm 32, and the car is a daily driver, so Hagerty, Grundy, and AARP are out.

I've joined the Long Island Triumph assoc, will sign up at VTR as well.

Dale, I keep some tools with me, but that's an impressive spread! Where do you put the luggage?!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mark_Barton said:
I'm 32, and the car is a daily driver....
I'm so jealous! Not so much about your being 32, but about the car being a daily driver! I'd love to be able to do that again with my Herald, but excessively salty winters here in upstate NY make that an unwise move. :frown: (Actually, Heralds are by far NOT the worst cars I've ever driven in snow; they actually were pretty decent in their day, given 1960s snow tire technology! In recent years, I had a Honda Civic CX that was terrible in snow even with modern snows...and there was the GT6+, simply the wrong car for icy NY winters!)

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Dale doesn't pack much luggage as he never expects to reach the corner before he breaks down. Funny thing is, he doesn't break down!!!!!!!!!

T

Tinster

19_again said:
Dale doesn't pack much luggage as he never expects to reach the corner before he breaks down. Funny thing is, he doesn't break down!!!!!!!!!

<span style="color: #990000">Really? Never breaks down? You're kidding me!!!

A German company was going to use my car for an info-mercial.
On the day of the shoot, with everyone standing ready, my
damned car broke down on the highway entrance ramp; not 150 yards
from my house. My car is King of Breakdowns!

d</span>

broke.jpg

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Howdy Neighbor,I am on Coney, if you are ever in the area let me know.

Nice daily driver.

Dale, don't tell me you are denting the quarters from the inside out on Amos as well.

Pat

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Mark_Barton said:
I've joined the Long Island Triumph assoc, will sign up at VTR as well.

Mark, if you're not doing anything tommorrow morning, stop by at RATCO's for a saturday tech session. We start about 9AM. It's also the place we hold the monthly meetings. You'll get to meet some of the LITA misfits...myself included. :laugh: