• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater hoses

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Need some help locating a source for the hoses to and from the heater core. Moss does not sell them. Looks to me like the proper size is 1/2 inch ID X 3/4 inch OD, which I can only find in red hose at the local hardware store. All they have in the proper black hose is 5/8 ID x 7/8 OD, but 7/8 is way too big to fit through the rubber grommets in the firewall. Any suggestions?

Griz

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, didn't even think of them because I don't recall ever seen "bulk" hose reels in the auto stores. But I'll give them a try.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think BCS has them in the correct, molded shape; the hoses have to make a couple sharp turns and can get kinked.

Bob, are you sure?

I've never had any problem with using plain old black hose from the roll at the auto parts store. The two elbows on the vent tube from the crankcase to the tee on the valve cover are molded, but the heater hoses make only gentle curves.

Country flag
I haven't replaced them in a few years, but I always thought it was a pretty tight bend up from the core and under the scuttle. I used regular hose--IIRC it's half-inch--but found out about the molded hose afterwards and would have used it had I known about it. I would just have felt a bit more comfortable with molded hose, but I've never had a problem with the generic stuff beyond the usual life-expectancy stuff.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've always used bulk hose from NAPA. Works fine and no problems with kinking, the curves are gentle enough.
One thing to keep in mind is the supply hose get very hot and if you drive in the summer, it's a good idea to close the shut off valve on the side of the engine so you're not adding more heat into the cockpit. If you want to feel what I'm talking about, just reach up under the dash and feel the heater hose next time your driving.

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Once again the forum comes through! I found the correct size hose (in black) at a local auto parts store. Fitting it in place I can understand the concerns of some about possible kinking of the hose. But it appears to me from studying several diagrams that the hoses cross above the heater core, i.e. the hose from the left side of the engine block goes to the right side of the heater core and vise versa. Am I correct? If so, this would eliminate the most severe bends in the hoses.

Griz

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep You are Correct.:applause: