• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heat Shield Material / Carpet Dye?

jbmcohen

Hello -

I have two separate questions:

1. I'd like to insulate my cabin. Does anyone recommend the Moss heat shield material or is Dynamat the way to go?

2. My carpet is in decent shape but it's faded. Has anyone dyed their carpet, instead of replacing it?

Thanks as always.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
jbmcohen said:
Hello -

1. I'd like to insulate my cabin. Does anyone recommend the Moss heat shield material or is Dynamat the way to go?

I guess that depends on what you're after. If sound deadening is more important to you, I'd go with the more expensive Dynamat (that's what I did). If ease of installation and removal is important, a better choice would be the felt stuff.

jbmcohen said:
2. My carpet is in decent shape but it's faded. Has anyone dyed their carpet, instead of replacing it?
I've never done that for a car, but dying isn't an exact science. You may not get the color you're expecting.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
jbmcohen said:
Hello -

-- :nonod: Use standard building insulation. If the walls are sealed it can be pumped in.

--- :nonod:-Cost, shrinkage and sometimes poor results makes replacement a better option. especially now. See if you can locate acceptable commercial grade pull ups at a dealer.---Keoke

Thanks as always.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Keoke said:
jbmcohen said:
Hello -

-- :nonod: Use standard building insulation. If the walls are sealed it can be pumped in.
:lol: What if he has a log cabin. Ain't no pumpin' then!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Does not matter Greg, Either way open log walls or closed we can handle them. Actually a true chinked log cabin's wall closed on the inside is easier than a convetional wood stucco wall to do.-Keoke

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Are you guys pulling legs? :nonono: I think jbmcohen is asking about his Healey!!!

JBM: Dave Russell, our dear departed resident wise man, has said in the past that we need to be careful what we recommend to people where affordability may be an issue. I just installed Heritage Karvel Carpet which comes with a nice thick felt (however, it cost about $800) but I also installed Dynamat Extreme which I got for $139. Dynamat is very easy to install but would be a bear to remove. However, I don't know why you would need to remove it.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
TimK said:
Are you guys pulling legs? :nonono: I think jbmcohen is asking about his Healey!!!

JBM: Dave Russell, our dear departed resident wise man, has said in the past that we need to be careful what we recommend to people where affordability may be an issue.
Hi Tim,
I thought I covered price vs. ease of removal in my first post. BTW, Dave went the really expensive route by putting two layers of dynamat on his floor and then painted it body color. I'm not sure if he painted underneath the dynamat, but knowing Dave, it's a good bet that he did. :wink:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TimK said:

:nonono: not pullin his leg, now he can fix which ever one of em cabins he is talking about.---Keoke--
grin.gif

JBM: Dave Russell, our dear departed resident wise man, has said in the past that we need to be careful what we recommend to people where affordability may be an issue. I just installed Heritage Karvel Carpet which comes with a nice thick felt (however, it cost about $800)--WOT!!

-Didn't no body tell them there is a recession going on???

I also installed Dynamat Extreme which I got for $139. Dynamat is very easy to install but would be a bear to remove. However, I don't know why you would need to remove it.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey JBM,
The above is one of the pleasures of this forum - some of the comments
are hilarious ! Anyway, can't address the dynamat but have used a spray on
carpet dye before. Got one from Advanced Auto PArts made by Duplicolor
and if you have black carpets, pretty easy to use. Does leave the pile
a bit stiff but a lot cheaper and easier than buying new and replacing if
what you have is simply faded. Don't know about other colors. Good
luck.
Mike

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Greg, yes, I should have singled out Keoke for my reprimand. And yes, I only knew Dave for less than a year, but he left a lasting impression. He was a first class guy with a very big heart.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now why you wanna pick on Keoke ? I thought he was using equivalent US speak and he had a"Cheeselog" he wanted to fix up.-Keoke--
grin.gif

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Keoke, I appreciate all your knowledge and willingness to share with everyone. I've seen your posts all over the other forums as well. How did you come by all your knowledge?? What have you been doing all your life? I'd sure like to know more about all you folks who make this forum come alive. The stuff on your profiles are very slim and unrevealing.

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
I have not tried it yet but, "Kool Mat" was recommended to me for heat resistance. Lowered cockpit by 20 degrees! If money is no object why not Kool Mat then Dynamat? Kool mat folks are nice to talk to. They make precut kits for most British cars. Go to koolmat.com for information.

Good Luck!!
Tod

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:nonono:

Neverr tell management every thing you know! :wink:

OP
J

jbmcohen

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies; If I ever buy a log cabin, I'll be all set re: insulation. However, I was referring to my AH. I'll check into all (or most) of the suggestions. I also might try the carpet paint first, to see how it looks in a small area.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I was out driving in my Healey with its new Karvel Carpet, thick felt underlayment, and the Dynamat Extreme. I am convinced now more than ever that the biggest contributor to cockpit heat is hot air blowing through the cracks. Pay special attention to sealing the transmission tunnel to the cowl and to the floor. Don't glue it down, just make sure there is a tight seal all around. Also seal all the grommet holes in the fire wall, and of course get a good shift boot.