• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Harley-Davidson mufflers on a Spridget

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I recollect reading in the past of folks using H-D mufflers on their Sprites/Midgets, but never any details as to how they were installed.

I've got a Bug-Eye, and traded some beer for two stock H-D mufflers a few years back: roughly 29 inches long by 4 inches in diameter.

I'm adding a header, which will require an increase in diameter for the pipe to the rear, and am thinking of going stainless as it will only require a couple of bends. I've got both a standard Spridget muffler (I'll replace the inlet stub pipe to match the new exhaust pipe if I use it) as well as the aforementioned H-D mufflers.

There might be enough room to clear the rear axle and transition to the H-D mufflers, but I'd sure appreciate hearing from some folks who've done this as to the size of the H-D mufflers they used and how they mounted them.

Thanks!

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
IIRC Very detailed directions have been posted. Too bad said posters are no longer here and they've been wiped from record to fill in the gaps... (sorry I can't help beyond that)

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've got a couple of Harley mufflers and installed one before I started my restoration. I have headers on my 1275 and decided to run a new straight pipe from the header to the muffler...IIRC the pipe was 1.75" in diameter. The muffler shop swaged the end of the muffler to fit the pipe and welded it on, all for $20! If I did it again I would add a little upturn at the rear for clearance and a more sporty look. I just googled mg midget Harley muffler and selected images and there were plenty of pictures.
Rut

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Harley's have mufflers? Sure could have fooled me. :wink-new:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yes Saxman, they do, actually did have initially. That's why they are available for Spridgets. The H-D guys don't like they and take them off. :highly_amused:

nomad

Yoda
Harley's have mufflers? Sure could have fooled me. :wink-new:

Its a revelation isn't it!

I think you can get all you want from the dumpster behind your local HD shop!

Kurt

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
The one to look for is from the Dyna with 2-into-1 system, non-catalytic (single muffler system). Folks have reported getting them for free from Harley dealers as used pull-offs when tractor drivers get new systems. Google for more info.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, what I did was, initially increase the diameter of the existing tailpipe (1 1/2" 1 3/4"?) with aluminum tape until I could clamp on the tailpipe - a McGyver solution but it worked. Then I got a header and, with the header, took the car and the muffler to a local custom muffler shop. They made me a stainless system from the header back. This included a flange at the header so that I could disconnect the pipe if necessary and, things like welding a hook on the muffler so that we could use a standard muffler hanger. It wasn't cheap (400 ish as I recall) but, will last the life of the car.

There has been much discussion on the boards about punching out the insert in the muffler (where's Billy?) to improve flow - I never bothered, partially because it was too much like work and partially because I like the sound just the way it is and didn't want to risk it getting louder. Besides I don't need to milk out that extra 1/4 horsepower to get to the ice cream shop. :D

Happy to answer any questions, but, that's about it.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
For me the Harley muffler is way to long. I wanted something to fit in the small rectangular space beside fuel tank and stay parallel to the floor of the car. In order to do that you need an S bend to bring the pipe up to the muffler.
P1040161.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If the Harley muffler you're using is too long then you're using the wrong muffler. The one from the sportster fits perfectly with the straight pipe.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The one I put on Bugsy I only had a single input. An older Sportster Muffler for sure. So how did you block up the other input on the front of the muffler.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I put a bolt and nut with two large washers that fit perfectly into the cup. I had planned to weld it later, but it has worked fine for several years.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Steve, Just in case that's the only type available when the time comes to find a muffler for Bugsy.