• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hap will be on track sooner than thought :]

Long story short I had MGB GT race car project I was planiing on building it was a already good start on a race car I got from Tony Barnhill's family, but something else just popped up very surprisely, that I could not turn down.

I've been helping Fred McConnell over the lat few years develop what I beleive is one of the best prepared vintage race MGB in the country, you name it, this car has it, well Fred decided he wanted to go SCCA racing in a F-prod Miata and was going to sell the vintage MGB racer, well as it turns out this car I built the engines and carbs for and help with many other aspects of devloping the car, will be mine very shortly. I plan on racing it for the first time at the VDCA finale at Roebling Road in Dec.

Here' pic of the car.

Attachments

• 25733.jpg
    25733.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 378

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOOHOO! Boy you're gonna have a good time with that one.

You keeping the street BGT?

OP
Hap Waldrop
drooartz said:
WOOHOO!
You keeping the street BGT?

No unfortunately, thats part of the trade, building the new 1900cc hot rod for it now and installing a new T9 5 speed as well as new set of 15x6 VTO Retro 4s, I'll get to test drive it a few times, to make sure all the bugs are worked out, and then it will be Fred's street car. The decision did not come with some stressful thinking. I always thought my wife ennjoyed our outings in the mountains with the street GT, but as it turns out, she tells me I drive that car like a idiot and she never enjoyed riding in that car with me, and I was a absolute fool if I didn't get the race car, not that I look to her for decisions on these types of things, we're pretty cool about staying out each other's passions, but it was sort of a blessing to get the race car, so I went for it. I really like that street GT, and like Fred, I guess if I had to get rid of my baby, I could think of no other person I rather have it, than him. I guess all good things in life come at a cost. I'll get another street car at some point.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Makes sense, Hap. I figure that unless one has Jay Leno's budget that something has to go out when something else goes in. I know that I'm currently over my limit, so one will probably go at some point. That's how we get to try lots of things. That race car is going to be good fun.

Hap Waldrop said:
I alway s thought my wife ennjoyed our outing in the mountain with the street GT, but as it turns out, she tells me I drive that car like a idiot and she never enjoyed riding in that car with me
:lol:

Had to laugh -- my wife probably thinks the same thing about how I drive my cars. I just normally don't invite her along on a sporting drive. :smile:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hap,

What are you going to do with Tony's GT?

- Doug

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Well at least you'll have Kipper's head. :wink:
I hope you plan on leading the parade laps at CMP
this fall. Mimi hopes so...for her sake.
:jester:

Let me know when you dyno that monster and we'll shoot some video for the masses.
:cheers:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hap--

Congratulations--The car looks great and I'll see you at Roebling Road

OP
Hap Waldrop
David, yes Inkabod the head is coming home :smile:

Tony's GT, we'll see what we do with that car, several ideas have popped up, a hillclimb/autocross car, maybe even back to a street car, not ready to throw it to the wood pile anytime soon.

Michael, yep see you at Roebling in Dec., the oysters on me buddy :wink:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whadda MONSTAH!!! Just curious, but what gearbox is in there?

Geez, Hap! I believe you hit the "mother lode"!! :thumbsup:

OP
Hap Waldrop
DrEntropy said:

It's got a straight cut/close ratio, it was built new with Jack Knight gears by John at Quantum, it may have 6 races on it from new, the race engine I built just few months ago has one race weekend on it, it got everyhting you could throw at MGB race engine, the HS6 race prep carbs I built about 4 races ago, most everything on the car is almost new. Oh and Barry at VTO is making sure I have a couple sets of the new 14x6 VTO wheels on the car as well.

I'm real lousy at linking sites, but if you go to youtube, and plug in Jefferson 500, you'll see a good in car video of Fred driving the car at that race, he starts at the rear of the pack for the first enduro, and passes a ton of cars, but you get to see and hear the new motor, it's doing really well.

I guess in closing it's kinda neat, because not only am I getting a new race car, it's not new to me, in the terms I know exactly what is in the car and have been part of the devlopment of the car from the get go.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hap said:
I guess in closing it's kinda neat, because not only am I getting a new race car, it's not new to me, in the terms I know exactly what is in the car and have been part of the devlopment of the car from the get go.

MUCH better that steppin' out with a car "unknown" to you!!! I don't think I'd even be <span style="font-style: italic">tempted</span> to field one I hadn't had a <span style="font-style: italic">big</span> part in constructing.

This is <span style="font-weight: bold">sooo cool!!!</span> :thumbsup:

...I'm officially jealous, BTW. :wink:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Hap Waldrop said:
DrEntropy said:

It's got a straight cut/close ratio, it was built new with Jack Knight gears by John at Quantum, it may have 6 races on it from new, the race engine I built just few months ago has one race weekend on it, it got everyhting you could throw at MGB race engine, the HS6 race prep carbs I built about 4 races ago, most everything on the car is almost new. Oh and Barry at VTO is making sure I have a couple sets of the new 14x6 VTO wheels on the car as well.

I'm real lousy at linking sites, but if you go to youtube, and plug in Jefferson 500, you'll see a good in car video of Fred driving the car at that race, he starts at the rear of the pack for the first enduro, and passes a ton of cars, but you get to see and hear the new motor, it's doing really well.

Maybe this will work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNM4-2nbOM

Twosheds

Darth Vader
That's a fast MGB!

And the driver is no slouch either!

OP
Hap Waldrop
Twosheds said:
That's a fast MGB!

And the driver is no slouch either!

Yeah I built the engine and carbs, it's got everything you would ever want in a good MGB race motor, Fred don't play, he knew what he wanted, and thats what we built, it's only one race old, never thought it would end up being mine as I built it :banana:. As for Fred, he's probably the best young driver I ever worked with, his secret is, he actually listened to me :smile: now the teacher has to see if he can be as fast as the student :driving:

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wow... that wasa great vid... found myself cheering him on when he started overtaking the 911 around 4:45 in the video... :laugh:

that's one fast MGB...

one question though...

what's that jolly red candy like button on the steering wheel do? I saw the driver push it a couple of times on the long straights...

OP
Hap Waldrop
Nunyas said:
wow... that wasa great vid... found myself cheering him on when he started overtaking the 911 around 4:45 in the video... :laugh:

that's one fast MGB...

one question though...

what's that jolly red candy like button on the steering wheel do? I saw the driver push it a couple of times on the long straights...

The red button is the two way radio, he was talking to me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Ya shoulda told 'im it was th' <span style="font-weight: bold">KERS</span> button! :devilgrin:

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hahah

I thought it might have been a "NOS" button, but then I remembered this isn't hollywood :jester: