Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Is there a "rule of 13" or some such formulas for adjusting valves on the gt6 engine? I am a that point and I want to get through it as easily as possible. My back and patience are both beginning to show severe signs of fatigue.
I am presuming it would be the same as a TR6 and you have a stock cam symetrical cam. The owners manual shows a sequence that allows 2 valves to be adjusted with every movement of the cam. To eliminate having to count the valves, I laid a strip of cardboard next to the valves and marked them 1-12. Anyway, here is the sequence shown in the manual:
adjust valves with valves fully open
1&3 10&12
8&11 2&5
4&6 7&9
10&12 1&3
2&5 8&11
7&9 4&6
Notice that the first number of the left col. added to the second number of the right col. equals 13. Same with 2nd number of the left number added to the first number of the right col.
Berry
While there are those math rules I have never paid much attention to them. Right or wrong, I remove the sparks plug and turn the engine over by hand until the piston can be seen at the top of its stroke and both rocker arms for that cylinder are "lose". With the piston at the top, if you can wiggle the rocker arms the followers should be resting on the base circle of the cam profile and that is where I make my adjustments. If you have a radical cam this may not work but for stock cams it has always worked well for me.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.