Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Stanpart # 102689. $3.50 at Spitbits (Spitfire is same as TR), $7.99 at a major Pennsylvania supplier (yikes!), $3.89 from Canley Classics in the UK, and (as part number 661-430) $6.95 from Moss Motors.
I've obtained them in the HELP! section of the flaps though of course those lack the (poorly) threaded hole in the center and are unpainted.
I actually prefer the tyoe with the hole though I JBWeld a nut in there to back up the hole else it may strip out before the cap comes loose. I carry a 2" eyebolt of the correct thread that I thread in (by hand) until it contacts the hub, wiggle a bit, thread some more etc as the cap moves out.
The nut works slick, thanks Geo. One comment, though, if you use a plated nut it's proabably best to roughen up the surface a bit. On my first attempt, the JB Weld didn't adhere to the nut and it fell out inside the cap. Had to use a big 1/4" lag bolt to remove the cap, since of course the threads in the hole are worthless.
PS, I also cut a much shorter screw, to leave in the hole and seal it. Don't like leaving it open for dust & dirt to get into the bearing.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.