• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Goodbye my 67TR4a

AZTR4a67

Hi guys, I've owned a TR4a (built Oct 31, 1966) for 2 yrs now. During that time, I have spent many hours tearing it apart to see what I have. I knew the engine was toast when I bought it, and it needed a lot of love, inside and out.

i got it home and started the process. I took the engine and tyranny out. Pulled all of the interior and separated the body from the frame. I work slow :smile:

My Spidy senses started tingling when I started checking out the frame in earnest. It has holes rusted through in a couple of places and I can see at least a dozen places where the frame has been welded and braced. All four of the lower suspension are rusted out and my mechanic and I found the front rt lower suspension bracket is bent 3/4" toward the back. The rear differential mount is bent and twisted, and on and on. It is still "fixable" but I don't have the skills or the $$$$ to have the work done.

still, I might have considered finding another frame, but the final nail in the coffin came when I started taking the fenders. Short story long, the fronts had been tack welded at the bottom because there is nothing behind them to bolt to. The tub has holes all the way from the fender wells to the front edge of the rocker panels. I should say, it is one big hole. The rears are worse and I haven't even taken the rocker panels off. At this point, it makes no difference, I can guarantee it will be just as bad.

The rear fenders are more fiberglass than metal. Which is probably good, since that and bondo are the only things holding the L rear fender together. The PO, or someone, had used body filler in the seam between the rear fenders and the body. I didn't even know there was supposed to be a chrome bead there, until Ed told me. When I started chipping away, all I got was bondo and more fiberglass. The fender isn't bolted or screwed to anything, because the metal tub is rusted away.

i could go on and on, but I have come to the conclusion that this car is not fixable. And even if someone got it back together, it is a rolling death trap. I shoulda' known something was up when I found 6 big metal washers behind the rear suspension frame mounting bracket on the R side, and 0 on the L.

The frame is rotten, the tub is too and 1/2 of what's on the car is junk. ****!

so, I will send it off to that great race track in the sky, but I can pull some parts if anyone needs something (lights, door handles, engine brackets, suspension, diff, 4 sp tranny) the usual stuff. pM needs and thanks for the support.

Maybe a Fiat next :glee:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I know it's a huge disappointment, but at least you've a sense of humor about it!

Hope you're not totally soured on LBC ownership and another one will find you soon.

:cheers:
Mickey

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sorry to hear that! I'm restoring a 67 as well and I'm just starting to tear it down and I'm sure I will need all sorts of stuff, but right now I know I need all of the exterior badging and letters and the front fender marker lights...mine are missing or trash.
Thanks, Rut

OP
A

AZTR4a67

The really chilling moment was when I was trying undo the bolts holding the L rear fender. There are two inside the fender well, about a foot up from the bottom. When I started twisting, I got the bolts out, along with a hunk of metal the diameter of a baseball.

FIAT - fix it again tomorrow!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
AZTR4a67,
Could you post pictures of the parts when you get a chance or pm me for my email address?
Thanks, Rut

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear that it was too far gone to save.

I hope you'll still consider another and use this Forum for advice in the pursuit -- though you have already learned a lot the hard way.

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Sorry to hear it. I'm guessing the car must have been a transplant to AZ?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Bill - PM sent re one small part you might have.

For the rest of you -- as I recall, Bill's 4A has a Surrey top. Not something I need but hopefully someone with an interest in that will explore it's condition and value as it would be great if that could be saved.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used to believe that anything could be fixed with enough time, money and/or love. The last thing my father taught me is sometimes it's more than this world can offer. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you both find peace.

OP
A

AZTR4a67

I can't figure out how to put the pics of the switch in an email, so they are on my page under Brake Switch

OP
A

AZTR4a67

Sorry to hear that! I'm restoring a 67 as well and I'm just starting to tear it down and I'm sure I will need all sorts of stuff, but right now I know I need all of the exterior badging and letters and the front fender marker lights...mine are missing or trash.
Thanks, Rut

Thanks for the condolences, I have the TRIUMPH letters from the trunk and the TR4a IRS for the back. They are in fair to good shape. The R has a bubble on it and the IRS badge is not very shiny. I also have RIUMPH on the hood. The globe emblems is so faded, it is illegible.

OP
A

AZTR4a67

Mink... I have no idea where the car came from. I bought it from a nice older guy in Prescott who had too many British car projects that he knew he would never finish. That was 2 yrs ago. I stopped by last week to check in on him, and he didn't remember me at all. Didn't remember that I bought the TR4a. Kept telling me "I used to have a Triumph, but I don't know what happened to it." Time takes us all.

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome to the forum,

I just "found" my OD transmission after looking (and lusting) for nearly 5 years. It is currently at John Esposito's shop (Quantumechanics) in Oxford, CT being rebuilt. Keep looking - they are out there. I found mine for $75!!! When John opened it this past weekend, he said the gears look fantastic - I can't wait to get it back and from what others tell me get reborn into Triumph driving!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I am looking for a good hardtop and O/D transmission.

Of course the above-mentioned John Esposito sells rebuilt OD gearboxes. I got one from him about 10 years ago and (as one would expect) it has been a trouble-free delight to drive.

https://www.quantumechanics.com/

Looks like his website is down right now - but it usually shows specifics and prices. The core charge was modest enough that I bought mine outright and put the original gearbox in the corner of the garage.

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Two thumbs up for Quantumechanics! I bought one of his kits to rebuild a TR-4 gear box I put in my TR3. I needed the top hat bushing once I got it apart. I sent him an email, asking if it was available and the cost. Two days later it shows up. I had not even paid for it yet.

Roy

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Unfortunately, his webmaster (and friend) passed away recently and the man's wife shut down his servers, thus instantly shutting down dozens of websites he was hosting - John's being one. When I was there this weekend, he said he is working to rebuild it....but anyone who went to the site previously saw, it had many pages and may take some time. He got his email back online this weekend and of course his phone is working :smile: