• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Goblin Valley State Park, UT

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I had never heard of this place until a friend in one of my photog groups mentioned it. After looking it up I decided I had to visit, so I rented a trailer and drove up there (11 hours). Here are a few pics from that trip. It's like being on another planet in some areas.

Goblin-0021.jpg

Valley of the Goblins:
Goblin-0046.jpg

View from the road on the way to the park
Goblin-0060.jpg

about 20 miles up this road is the nearest "town". The small gas/ market they have sells a T-shirt that says "Where the H*LL is Hanksville". If this town had a horse it would be a one-horse town.

Goblin-LUMLR_sm-0002.jpg

But the real reason I went up there was to shoot the Milky Way (It's a registered Dark Sky area.

Goblin-small2-3 copy.jpeg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
amazing! and the stars...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very nice - but how do you drive a trailer?
Most people rent a car.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Some amazing photos. They must be large or my internet was slow. They downloaded like dial up. Line at a time.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's my understanding the first folks who came into that part of the country were thought to be telling tall tales as to what they'd seen. Wasn't 'till photographers went there and recorded the geography that it became believable.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My dad took me once back in the early 90s. It's a really amazing place.

The depth of that third photo is just took my breath away a bit.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The depth of that third photo is just took my breath away a bit.
Thanks. I am partial to scenes where there are "layers" of hills and terrain. I like to use a telephoto lens on those kinds of shots as it adds some compression to the scene which, I think, makes it look more like a painting than a photograph. I used a 70-200mm Zoom on that one, set at 140mm. It was a scene that I spotted as I was driving on the long road out to the park, I pulled over on the spur of the moment and shot it from the side of the road.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A couple more from my trip.

Shiprock New Mexico

Goblin-0003.jpg

Sunrise at the place I camped overnight in Farmington, NM

Goblin-0002.jpg

This is at Goblin State Park. This formation is called Three Sisters. This is where I had originally hoped to take the Milky Way shot, but this time of year, the direction of the Milky Way core wasn't conducive for getting a good composition.
Goblin-0013.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Really some spectacular shots Bas

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not quite that bad here but I haven't seen the milky way in many years.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We haven't seen stars in years here in the East. Maybe a half dozen plus Mars and Venus. Sad.
Looking at my "Dark Sky" App, it looks like your best bet would be the Aderondack Park. The center of that park would have very low light pollution. But anything closer would be pretty much impossible.
Not quite that bad here but I haven't seen the milky way in many years.
You would have an easier time finding Dark Skys. Heading Northwest toward, and past Woodward. A lot of space out there with pretty dark Skys.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whole state of Florida is lit up like a Christmas tree. Only ways to get to "good seeing" would be to go fifty miles off-shore or buy an airline ticket to get to the western North Carolina regions.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Whole state of Florida is lit up like a Christmas tree. Only ways to get to "good seeing" would be to go fifty miles off-shore or buy an airline ticket to get to the western North Carolina regions.
You could head north to Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge…

02B59197-7C1F-4373-8A7D-D7B2B5A1865B.png