• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Glutton for Punishment

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Being the Masochist that I am, I've decided to get the ball rolling on Awakening my Sleeping MG TD.

I reprinted the "Awakening a Sleeping MGB" sheets from Tony's site and will follow it to get her going.

My question is, should I follow it the same way or are there differnt things I should be looking out for? One example is oil. Add oil to Tranny same as you have in the engine. Does that apply to the TD. What about rear oil. Brakes......

To see my strating point you can go here:

https://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1535176

I think I have had it for almost 5 years. She's a very solid car and her name is Gloria.

R6MGS

Yoda
Wow..Looks like it was a good find...Reminds me of my TC before I tore it apart.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Better than a good find, that was a great find. Think I will need one just like that in a couple of years.

Steve_S

Yoda
The TD transmission takes a heavy weight oil. A lighter oil would be fine to go around the neighborhood, but I wouldn't push it too hard or get it too hot without the proper fluid in there.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
OOOHHHHH, Don't do this to me?!?!?!?

I have enough projects to keep me busy and broke... NOW I want one-O-these....

Curse you Snidly Whiplash.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

How the 'H' do you spell Snidley, Snydly, Snidely?!?!?. Oh, nevermind. You get the point... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
vping....when you finish the checklist, I'll add it to my site if you'd like....I'm working on one for the MGC right now.

R6MGS

Yoda
T-series is alot less complicated than even the MGB...Although pretty much all the same things apply. I had my TC running with an hour or so after it sitting nearly 40 years. The fitting to my gas tank had be removed so I just used a jerry can to run it for a few hours....I've never actually driven the car.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I got it from the owners son. They bought her in 1956 and drove it a few years. Had kids and put it away in the garage. Got it out again when their kids began to drive. each of the 3 kids drove it to high school. The car was used on & off again for a few years & stored a few years. The last person to use it was the younger son and he stopped using it in 1989 when he graduated. Then it was parked until I purchased her. It has 64,000 mi., and still has the original paint.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know we hate people like you.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hate is such a strong word, Jack. I think of it more as a deep loathing really, tinged slightly green with envy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No sightly green at all. Very dark and nasty envy.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My luck may be running out but. I had good luck finding the TD and the GT. Now if I can only find that elusive 72 Midget that I want... I would also like to find a roadster but not sure which year. I like the 70, split bumpers, but also like the 76-77 for some reason. Any out there I'd love to look at.

Back to the TD. for gas lines, Jack, you mentioned you can get locally. You mean like in an autozone? I know for sure that my gas line is sealed shut with varnish and I've tried to blow it out but NG. It's copper & looks like refidgeration water line.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes, get from Autozone or what ever 1/4 inch steel brake line if it needs to be longer get two and connect with a fitting they have as well.

Cut both ends off and connect to tank and so forth with rubber gas hose and clamps. They have as well.