• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Girling 10" Rear Brakes question

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Nice picture, I will go back and check mine to be sure the springs are on correct. By the way those MOSS shoes I bought were REAL tight to get the drum on. I had to do some adjusting.
Jerry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A common complaint. Back in the bad old days, the new friction material would be ground down to just match your drums, but almost no one does that any more. A shame too, as I recall it made a big difference in my first car (full size Chevy with front drum brakes & no power assist).

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I used an old belt from a belt sander, just cut it and used the long wide sandpaper surface to sand down the shoes once they were in place. Fiddly operation but didn't take too much effort as they were pretty close to the correct size.

Aradford46

Freshman Member
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Girling 10" brake and find I am missing the steady posts. Does anyone know of a source for these or even a rough drawing and I could make them maybe.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got some somewhere. If no one else chimes in by tomorrow, I'll start hunting for them. Don't really want to let them go, but at least I can get detailed measurements for you.

From memory:
The thread is British, but I don't recall offhand if it's BA or BSF (or BSW). They're about 3/4" long (but 1" would work OK). Screwdriver slot on the outside end, inside end is turned down to minor diameter of the thread (ie smooth) for perhaps 3/16". Should be a felt collar that goes on there too. TRF claims they have the felt, under P/N 7H4429

PS, Welcome to the asylum. One tip: It's usually better to start a new thread with a new question, even when it's related to the original question. Usually, you'll get more responses that way.

PPS, Perhaps I'm mistaken about the British threads. TRF says that a JN2108 will work for the jam nut, but JN2108 is 5/16 UNF. I still don't think that is correct, but it has been a long time since I had to fiddle with those dang posts.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aloha A-46,

I dismantled an early 3A axle to get diff gears & 10' brake parts for my '59 stored in SC. I disassembled the back plates to sandblast and managed to keep the posts aside in a place I could get to them. Here are a few shots; pretty much as Randall remembers. Threads are regular 5/16 UNF; I ran a regular nut down the threads no problem. Maybe you could mill one out of an old bolt.

Jeff

Attachments

• TR3A Brake post_1.jpg
    TR3A Brake post_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 60
  • TR3A Brake post_2.jpg
    TR3A Brake post_2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 55
  • TR3A Brake post_3.jpg
    TR3A Brake post_3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 57

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
yeh my 10 inch are like Randall’s picture, and if I remember correctly the springs have to go that way or the full spring will rub on the wheel cylinder rubber. I am also pretty sure those are 9 inch in the picture or they hobbled 10 and 9 together.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I measured them all and they range from 1.228 & 1.248. Maybe they started life at 1 1/4" and wore down in service.

Jeff

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Could be! On the TR3A I had back in 1977, those pins were so out of adjustment that I would hear a mysterious "clunk" shortly after releasing the brake pedal. The shoes would walk out to match the drum when the brakes were applied, then snap back when they released. I can't prove it was wear, but it seems the most likely explanation. There was visible wear on the shoes as well.