• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

gas tank and grill installation

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
as many may know i have been trying to make my v8 healey bn6 two seater a bit more healey in appearance. i bought a used gas tank to replace the fuel cell in the rear. the tank i bought has a dropped section at the front of the tank which would appear to drop through an opening in the trunk floor. my 1959 bn6 does not have that opening. what year was the opening in the trunk? and if there was an opening i will have to cut my trunk floor to use this tank! also my bn6 grill is not in very good condition and i like the vertical grill from the later cars such as the bn7. will a vertical grill fit into the opening or will it require that i replace the two piece grill surround. as always your thought and ideas are very much appreciated...

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The BN-2s had that cut out for the sump (my '56 has it). What I do not know is if it went away in 1956 when they stopped BN-2 production and started the 100-6 cars.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My 1960 BT7 has the cut out in the trunk floor so I imagine your 1959 had it also. Although the trunk configuration in a 2 seater is different than a 4 seater so I can't be sure.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I have restoration photos of a 1960 BN6 I was thinking of buying at one time, they show the opening at the front of the boot floor. If I where you, I would examine the closed area for a previous owners crude butchery and amateur workmanship to confirm your suspicions of a cover up! :hammer:

As far as adding a later grill to your early 59 bn6 I guess anythings possible after seeing someone install a grill upside down on a 1962 tri-carb on last weeks thread, all depends if you are a good contortionist!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BJ8's accommodate that tank shape too

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
It is possible to use the later vertical grill with the earlier cap and chrome lower strip. See photo of a 100 with a six cyl. front shroud done just that way. Photo from Britfest 2014 seen in this forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 128

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is possible to use the later vertical grill with the earlier cap and chrome lower strip. See photo of a 100 with a six cyl. front shroud done just that way. Photo from Britfest 2014 seen in this forum.

Hard to say for sure, but it looks as if that car also has the later grille surround parts, with the one piece oval and separate brow.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have the gas tank out of my '63 BJ7. I can take all the pic and measurements that you need. Just let me know.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
could you measure the size of the opening. and does it have a lip turned down. a pic would be very nice.. thank you very much!

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Does your nastyboy have the original rear frame rails and crossmembers? If so the size of the opening is determined by the rails and rear crossmember.

Attachments

• 2011-09-06 boxster wheels 013.jpg
    2011-09-06 boxster wheels 013.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 126
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yes the rear is the same...but the car had a fuel cell and the opening had been welded up or replaced. ill check and see if a panel has been welded in. it appears that the entire trunk floor was replaced sometime over the years...no obvious welds in that area of the trunk. i almost hate to cut the opening!

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The only real reason to have it open is for access to the drain plug. If you don't care about that, you could always just cut an "x" through the opening and push it down enough to clear the tank and weld up the cuts leaving the floor solid and not open to the elements.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i ordered a new gasket for the body to gas tank from moss. i think i will wait until it gets here before i decide to modify the trunk floor. thanks to each of you for you ideas, suggestions, and pics! now a new thread and on to another problem....gas tank filler!

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i got a new gasket from moss. when i put it in place the gas tank fitting on top of the tank is almost one inch too high for the opening in the body.......unless i can compress the gasket which is cut on a taper i might just make a new gasket. i would still like to know the opening size....which i cut to fit the dimensions of the gasket! and, are the edges of the opening level with the floor of the trunk or lowered to allow the gasket to seat into a cavity! thanks for all the comments and suggestions thus far!

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
dale,thank you very much!