• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Front suspension rebuild is next

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made good progress and got the front right suspension fully torn down. Took a bit of work and a minor application of the flame wrench but it all came apart reasonably well. Wound up using the floor jack method for the spring -- still want to get a spring compressor, but the jack method worked well enough to get things dissassembled.

Glad I bought the spring pans and arms, one of the holes was definitely ovaled out a bit, and I couldn't get the spacer off the other side. Will be nice to just replace all of that. Shocks actually don't seem all that bad, but still good to be swapping them for some rebuilt ones while I'm in there. The rear pivot doesn't look too bad, I'll get a close up pic later so y'all can help me figure out if it needs to be replaced.

The kingpin/swivel assembly is a bit crusty but I'm unsure at this point how to test and see if it is OK. More to come on that.

Might do the bearings, but they actually seemed OK. Will get a few closeups when I get a moment. Pulling the hub off is not hard, so that might also just wait for later.

IMG_1822.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Made good progress and got the front right suspension fully torn down. Took a bit of work and a minor application of the flame wrench but it all came apart reasonably well. Wound up using the floor jack method for the spring -- still want to get a spring compressor, but the jack method worked well enough to get things dissassembled.

Glad I bought the spring pans and arms, one of the holes was definitely ovaled out a bit, and I couldn't get the spacer off the other side. Will be nice to just replace all of that. Shocks actually don't seem all that bad, but still good to be swapping them for some rebuilt ones while I'm in there. The rear pivot doesn't look too bad, I'll get a close up pic later so y'all can help me figure out if it needs to be replaced.

The kingpin/swivel assembly is a bit crusty but I'm unsure at this point how to test and see if it is OK. More to come on that.

Might do the bearings, but they actually seemed OK. Will get a few closeups when I get a moment. Pulling the hub off is not hard, so that might also just wait for later.
Regarding the a-arms, I've seen MUCH worse. The inner pivot pin looks serviceable, so just check the ends for consistent diameter after a good cleaning. If kingpin assembly and trunnion got regular grease at all three points, you may luck out with that. The lower bushing (trunnion) is what we've found as the point of the most wear. And your inner sleeve not moving off the thru-bolt says that bushing is likely wallowed out. Disassembly will tell.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hoping to get the other side pulled tomorrow if all goes well. Some parts have arrived, may have to pick up one more orer.

So I still need to look at them, but I'm thinking bearings/seals/brakes? I did brake pads in 2011 but didn't pull the hubs to do rotors or bearings. While they are off, I assume I should look closely at them.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
By the way, these kitchen racks are great for parts. Holds a bunch of weight and rolls around nicely. Fresh new parts ready to go.

IMG_1826.jpeg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
By the way, these kitchen racks are great for parts. Holds a bunch of weight and rolls around nicely. Fresh new parts ready to go.

View attachment 88034
Nice I have a similar rack that came out of a florist shop - carries aluminum trays

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made some good progress today, got the rest of the front suspension off the left side. Everything is off the car now, so it's time to star cleaning and seeing what else needs to be rebuilt. I'll need some help figuring out the kingpins/uprights to see if they are worn or are reusable.

Thinking I'll leave the brakes alone. Everything looks ok so I don't think I'll mess with them. Will do the bearings and seals, though, while I'm there. Not 100% on this plan, but that's what I'm thinking today.

IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_1868.jpeg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
nice neat shop and great rolling tables!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
nice neat shop and great rolling tables!
Home Depot. The smaller one was my desk at home during covid. Rolling benches are the best

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Home Depot. The smaller one was my desk at home during covid. Rolling benches are the best
dreaming of my next shop - do you use the height adjustments at all?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
dreaming of my next shop - do you use the height adjustments at all?
I do. for the most part they are set at the same height as my other benches, but depending on what I'm working on it is nice to be able to adjust that. Or if you are going to work sitting or standing.

These are the benches I have, they seem pretty well built and can take a reasonable amount of weight.
> Husky 62 in. W x 24 in. D Adjustable Height Solid Wood Top Workbench Table in Black HOLT62XDB12 - The Home Depot <

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Question: I didn't replace the brake rotors back in 2011 when I bought the car, just the pads (EBC Greenstuff). Checking them over now they both look fine, thinking I'll leave them well enough alone. Am I being pound foolish, or am I fine? The hubs come off easily enough, so thinking it's easy enough down the road to swap on new rotors/pads if things wear down. The pads still have a lot of life left.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd be inclined to leave them - you haven't likely done a lot of miles and the rotors are thicker than modern

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd be inclined to leave them - you haven't likely done a lot of miles and the rotors are thicker than modern
I agree. Leaving them as is for now. The hubs are not complicated to pull later if needed. Just put in what should be my last Moss order for this project, so hopefully I can have the car back together in a couple weeks. Just need to look over the kingpins/uprights and make sure they're ok.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Rebuilt kingpins are ordered from Moss. Once they're in I should have everything in hand to get start reassembling.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rebuilt kingpins are ordered from Moss. Once they're in I should have everything in hand to get start reassembling.
Always did the re-bush and ream to fit routine. Will be interested to learn how the Moss pieces are. "Path of least resistance"! (y)

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
All parts are here now. Still need to pick up a few assorted replacement bolts/nuts, but I've got everything else on hand that is needed. Got the brake shields painted and ready, and touched up a few spots on the crossmember while the paint was out.

For the next week I'm focused on getting my Morris ready for a long road trip, and when I'm back it will be time do reassembly. Might have some time to get hubs reassembled, we'll see how the week goes.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made some real progress today, got the front left loosely assembled on the car. I think I got it bolted together properly. Ran into a small issue on the front right (one zerk fitting is buggered) will sort that out later this coming week. While I'm waiting for a new zerk fitting to arrive I'll try and get the new bearings into the hubs so that those will be ready to go as well.

First question, is this lower trunnion in the proper order? Spacer in the middle, then flat washer, then cupped washer (and rubber seal) and then the A-arm. Correct?

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1910.jpeg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds (looks) right from here. Coat thru-bolts and spacers liberally with a good grease, wipe excess off after assembly. Same goes for the upper and kingpin. Grease gun on all three fittings on both sides after assembly and Bob's yer uncle.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made some progress this weekend. Both sides are now loosely attached. Got the hubs cleaned and new bearing races pressed in. Pretty much ready to get it all fully assembled now. Next couple weeks are busy with work and life, but at least there was some progress.