• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

From the Rumor Mill:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I've sworn I'd never buy a NEW car -- but if they could do for a Triumph what they've done for the Mini, I might have to rethink that.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Of all the modern car companies out there, I really like what BMW has been doing recently. If anybody could pull it off, they could.
From an old, old thread here, it was mentioned that one of the chief engineers at BMW is an LBC nut. This could be a good thing.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If they can make it smell like a Triumph, I may consider it.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Since it sounds as if they would be built off the Mini chasis I would only consider buying one if it is RWD not FWD.
FWD would be way out of character for a TR.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Hmm. good point.
Like I said in the MG forum, about the chineese company trying to revive the MG name....
Anything they do is just Triumph in name. Any Triumph that is gonna be what you know and love as a Triumph has already been out of production for 20+ years.
that dosen't mean thay can't build somthing pretty neat, that keeps the name alive in spirit, but It just can't be the same.
It's like the Mini. The old and new cars bear a mild resemblence, but that's it. dosen't mean the new ones aren't a lot of fun. They're just from a different time.
I think they should base a modern TR off of a Z4 personally.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]

I think they should base a modern TR off of a Z4 personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard this rumor that is exactly what I thought. Then I considered that BMW would not want to compete with itself whereas an new TR would probably sell for less than the Z4 and dismissed the whole idea. Also the Z4 is built in the States so would a new TR be built here too!? That wouldn't be British! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Well based on the job they did with the Mini I'd love to see them take a crack at this. After owning a bunch of BMW's over the year, those folks certainly build a good car.

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
They may build a new car. They may call it a Triumph. They may even have "TR" in its name. But a true Triumph TR(pick your favorite number - mine's a 6) it will never be.

New technology just doesn't feel and sound the same way as old technology does. Isn't that what's at the heart of what we love so much about our cars?

Seems so to me.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I believe if it is a real triumph like car -- RWD, lusty exhaust note, light weight with a modern drive train, I'm afraid I'll have to have one. If it becomes a fat, expensive heavyweight, I'll stick with an original, thanks.

dklawson

Yoda
As both a Triumph and a Mini owner I find it interesting that these are the two marques that may be earmarked for "resurrection".

Within the Mini (old car) community there are strong divisions concerning how to relate and interact with the new MINI (a.k.a. BINI) owners and their cars. We have a guy who regularly attends Mini Meets and shows on the east coast. When he found the old Minis were parked next to the MINIs at a show he went out and bought a few quarts of oil. When the MINI owners weren't looking he poured oil UNDER each of their cars. It scared the krap out of them and when they learned what had happened they were quite pi$$ed. He told them he was simply welcoming them to the family.

A new TRIUMPH wouldn't be a Triumph to me... but it would continue the marque. Unfortunately I'll have to listen to a new round of "Hey, did you hear they're making those again?"

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Last year there was a thread on another forum about bringing back Triumph that supposedly was instigated by someone at BMW. The idea proposed at the time was to do a TR3 inspired design on the Z3 platform. After a few days discussion, it was dropped and nothing more was said until this report came out - I wonder if this could be the fruits of that discussion?

I have to agrre with the comment that a FWD vehicle wouldn't seem like a real Triumph to me - but we have to remember that there was much more to the marque than what we saw here in the US - wasn't the Dolomite Sprint a FWD vehicle?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I have to agrre with the comment that a FWD vehicle wouldn't seem like a real Triumph to me - but we have to remember that there was much more to the marque than what we saw here in the US - wasn't the Dolomite Sprint a FWD vehicle?

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, not quite. HOWEVER, the Dolomite Sprint was one of the last derivatives of a basic body structure that began around 1965 as the Triumph 1300. That WAS a FWD car, but it eventually morphed into the RWD Toledo and Dolomite models.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Thanks for straightening me out on that - I remembered the body style starting out as FWD, but wasn't aware of the switch. Then again, I've never seen one 'in the flesh', so it was an easy mistake to make /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
The "Triumph" Acclaim, which was really a Honda Civic 4 door was also FWD, but also not accepted as a legitimate Triumph.
Simon.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
....Anything they do is just Triumph in name. Any Triumph that is gonna be what you know and love as a Triumph has already been out of production for 20+ years.
that dosen't mean thay can't build somthing pretty neat, that keeps the name alive in spirit, but It just can't be the same....

[/ QUOTE ]Right, and I think that's mostly a good thing. With the possible exception of Morgan, I can think of almost no company that still builds essentially what they've been building for the past 50 or more years, albeit with constant improvement and updating. (OK, there was the original VW Beetle, but that's now out of production...sadly.)

In a very roundabout way, one could almost argue that there hasn't been a "true" Triumph since 1939, when WWII shut down production. During the war, enemy actions destroyed pretty much every bit of Triumph factory and equipment and parts, so when Standard Motor Company picked up the bankrupt Triumph Company from the receivers, the name and reputation really was all they got...and Triumphs arugably were Standards from then on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course, the Standard marque name largely disappeared after 1963, by which time the company had since been absorbed into Leyland...and then British Leyland in '68, and so on.

To really nitpick, about the only true Triumph motor in the postwar era was the slant four used in the TR7 and Dolomites (and earlier Saab 99s) and the Stag V-8 derived from that slant four. The wet-liner TR motor was originally a Standard Vanguard unit, and the Herald - Spitfire - GT6 - Vitesse -TR5/6 motors all were derived from the original 803cc four introduced for the Standard 8 of 1953.

All of which is my long-winded way of saying that I might just look forward to a reintroduction of the Triumph marque by BMW, but I would do so with some trepidation. I've gotten to like the new Mini, but I'm very disappointed that BMW markets only top-line and near-top-line versions here in the US. I'd jump on an "economy" version of the new Mini just as soon as I could get financing, but I don't see them being available here any time soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
If it has some of the look and feel of the old TR's then I'm just going to have to get one.
Can always drive the old TR6 when I want to get back to "nature".

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
To really nitpick, about the only true Triumph motor in the postwar era was the slant four used in the TR7 and Dolomites (and earlier Saab 99s) and the Stag V-8 derived from that slant four. The wet-liner TR motor was originally a Standard Vanguard unit, and the Herald - Spitfire - GT6 - Vitesse -TR5/6 motors all were derived from the original 803cc four introduced for the Standard 8 of 1953.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll have to sort-of disagree with that statement: the OHC 6 cyl in the Rover SD1 was designed and built by the Triumph engineers, but by the time they had it ready there wasn't a Triumph car to put it in. Although originally conceived as an upgrade of the 2.5l, the production model shared nothing with the previous engine.

I know, way too much time on my hands to come up with that bit of trivia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif