• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Forward opening hood / bonnet

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
Has anyone ever done a forward opening hood / bonnet for a Midget Mark III? I've seen the ones where the entire front end tilts forward but I am referring to just the "sheet metal engine cover". This would give the benefit of better headroom & accessibility without the complication of extending the wires to the lights and horn.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My son and I are building a Midget and I like this idea better. We were going to try and weld the front end together and have the whole thing tilt like my Bugeye. This one is much more simple and I think I can fab the latching mechanism easier as well.

RickF

Country flag
My son and I are building a Midget and I like this idea better. We were going to try and weld the front end together and have the whole thing tilt like my Bugeye. This one is much more simple and I think I can fab the latching mechanism easier as well.
Larry's design works well, but doesn't leave room for the stock grille. You might want to try to redesign the hinges.

Rick

iceman

Freshman Member
Country flag
Larry's design works well, but doesn't leave room for the stock grille. You might want to try to redesign the hinges.

Rick
Hi Rick, yes, you would have to cut into an OEM grill to make it pivot correctly. However, I like the look of an open, uncluttered air intake so it was not a consideration for me. One thing I would like to point out for those considering pivoting hood assy from a BE or the later cars, from the frt bottom, is you don't gain an open area to work on the engine. The Wings get in the way just like they do on a BE hood pivoted from the frt. With my mounting, the whole engine bay is open to work on, better on the back as well! My car is a 72 model, with only the hood pivoting, the fenders are still mounted in the normal position.

RickF

Country flag
Hi Rick, yes, you would have to cut into an OEM grill to make it pivot correctly. However, I like the look of an open, uncluttered air intake so it was not a consideration for me. One thing I would like to point out for those considering pivoting hood assy from a BE or the later cars, from the frt bottom, is you don't gain an open area to work on the engine. The Wings get in the way just like they do on a BE hood pivoted from the frt. With my mounting, the whole engine bay is open to work on, better on the back as well! My car is a 72 model, with only the hood pivoting, the fenders are still mounted in the normal position.
Hi Larry,

I have to disagree. My race Bugeye has a stock steel bonnet that is hinged to tilt forward. The access to the engine is way, way, WAY better with the bonnet hinged forward compared to my street Bugeye with it's cowl hinged steel bonnet. The bonnet on the race car is almost straight up and down vertically when opened and the only thing you can't easily get to is the front of the radiator.

Attachments

• 258BEB38-823F-4228-91EE-E6FC431652C6.jpeg
    258BEB38-823F-4228-91EE-E6FC431652C6.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 122

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I did a pretty good job with the BE. Hood fully opens with loads of room to work on the engine. I can probably figure something out for the Midget to give really good access. Mind you not as good as the BE.

Attachments

• Hood up.PNG
    Hood up.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 94

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I think my signal lens are about 1/2" the ground.

OP
S

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
I would love to do the same thing with my Mark III Midget but it seems rather complicated which is why I am leaning towards just the bonnet and not the entire front end tilting. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions, procedures, etc. on what is involved, particularly from the standpoint of lengthening the wiring harness and how to keep it out of the way when the bonnet / fenders are closed. What kind of connector is recommended to be used so the bonnet / fenders can be removed if need be? How much does the harness need to be extended?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
A 6 conductor GM Weatherpack Connector M/F Plug will work quite nicely. Comes with Pigtails if you pick the correct one and simply splice in the connector. I've also used a Trailer Harness Connection before.