• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

floor pan replacement

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
For those who have tackled this job how long did it take you to cut the old pans out and weld in new pans? I'm trying to figure out which way is going to be the most cost effective to complete the job. Doing it my self or hiring a body guy to do the work at 40 an hour.

I'm short of the needed tools not to mention I would have to hire out the welding as my garage has just enough amps to it to run the garage door and a single light.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Cut the old ones out & glue the new ones in with Fusor.

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Stewart -

I'm also in the process of removing my floor pans, have welding experience and access to the necessary tools, but have been considering Fusor as well.

So, Tony, Have you used it on floor pans, and if so, what is the clamping method? Or, how the heck do you keep pressure on it for 5 hours? Sand bags? Pay small children to sit in your B? I know at least two of us who would love to know!

Thanks!

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
shoot a few sheetmetal screws at various places around the edges to clamp it. they can come back out, or as I usually do, grind the heads off and cover em up with seam sealer.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I used pop-rivets. ground 'em a bit after the 'glue' set. I used the SEM "Multi Purpose Panel Adhesive".
This skeptic is now a believer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Ooohh! And pay attention when going thru the starboard floor: the wiring harness doesn't take kindly to being punctured/pop-riveted. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ccougill said:
shoot a few sheetmetal screws at various places around the edges to clamp it. they can come back out, or as I usually do, grind the heads off and cover em up with seam sealer.

Yep, listen to chuck - he taught me how to!!

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Doc I learned that the hard way, there's a brake line under there too

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So I haven't actually replaced an MGB floor pan (yet) but I had some cutting and welding to do on the MGA. It took me a year to psych myself up for it but I found a mentor and just dug into it. Turned out it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected. Messy and time consuming, yes. Hard, no.

Getting the old boards out is actually fair early from the looks of it.

Maybe we can huddle in Pasadena and have a cutting and welding party!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
On the last set of floors I did, I cut the old floors out leaving about 1" all around the edges & cross members....then, I cleaned that up, test fitted the new floors & used the 1" of old floor as a lip for the Fusor to adheer to.

Oh, I also dropped all my wiring & plumbing away from where I was cutting beforehand so I didn't repeat chuck's uh-oh.

RickB

Yoda
Wow!
Where do you buy this stuff? (Fusor)
Sounds like a "miracle in a can"!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any good auto body supply house.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Strong as can be. Took me about a day per side to cut the old ones out and glue up the new ones. I too left the "lip" around the pans. Makes a good way to get the new ones right where they should be.

MGBGT_noob

Jedi Hopeful
DrEntropy said:
Ooohh! And pay attention when going thru the starboard floor: the wiring harness doesn't take kindly to being punctured/pop-riveted. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

That's why you should make one of these part of any resto. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
RTR52nd said:
Hey Stewart -

I'm also in the process of removing my floor pans, have welding experience and access to the necessary tools, but have been considering Fusor as well.

So, Tony, Have you used it on floor pans, and if so, what is the clamping method? Or, how the heck do you keep pressure on it for 5 hours? Sand bags? Pay small children to sit in your B? I know at least two of us who would love to know!

Thanks!

clamp.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif hahaha...if it works, what the heck!!

BritCarFan

Jedi Hopeful
Does the adhesive have the same strength as a weld if the part is used in a strutural area?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would think not good for anyplace that has stress all the time.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ummm, can anyone say: "UH-1"?!!? Glue 'n pop-rivets flyin' in mass formation, kids. Plenty of constant stress there, Jack. Those airframes are still workin'. My MGB would hardly be put to the stress levels the glue is likely to fail at. I bonded a bunch of different metals together with the stuff and tortured it every way I could think of: Impact, tensile and shear. It stuck like, well, like GLUE to the parent materials. Only half bad failure I could point to was a shear failure with aluminum, two strips of 1/8" glued together then after cure time expired I put it into a vice and BEAT it with a hammer to a 50* angle before it let go.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Factories have almost stopped welding during the new car construction process...glueing is becoming much more acceptable - especially with plastics,etc. taking the place of some metals.....I'd glue any body part to a car!