• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fired Up My Buddy's TR-3B

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
After a seven year restoration, my friend Brian was ready to start the engine. He wanted to make sure the engine etc. was all OK before he finished putting on the body panels and installing the interior.

I arrived at his place at about 8:30 this morning, had a cup of coffee, chit-chatted, and headed downstairs to the garage at about nine.

We removed the valve cover and spark plugs. Rotated the engine to the TDC mark, checked to see that it was on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder, (it was), and then plopped the dizzy in. I static timed it, and set the venier for 4 deg. BTDC. With the plugs still out, we cranked to engine over to get the oil pressure up. We cranked for quite awile, but no oil pressure. Finally, we took the banjo fitting off of the stud down by the oil filter. Cranked it, NO OIL PRESSURE!. Brian was ready to pull the motor apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif I said "Let's take the stud out, and see if the oil flows." Well, it did. Brian said "Maybe too much gasket sealer in there." We got a skinny screwdriver, and cleaned things out pretty good inside that hole. We re-installed the stud. Cranked it, and got oil. This is good. Put the banjo fitting back on, and we had oil pressure.

Time to pour in the anti-freeze. "****, my foot's getting wet!" Hole in the radiator about a third the way up. He had the rad done about a year and a half ago, so that little dent where the water was spewing out had to be done while the rad was laying around. Good thing the front apron wasn't on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That's OK, we can still fire it up, we just won't run it more then a few seconds. Time to put some gas in. We put in about a gallon, didn't see any leaks, but I couldn't get the hand pump on the fuel pump to suck up any gas. Had to put in another gallon. Here we go, the glass filter bowl is filling. It's going up to the carbs. No more resistance in the pump...the bowls are full. Time to roll it out of the garage.

We rolled it out, set the fire extinguiser nearby and got ready to fire it up. Pulled out the choke, turned on the ignition, and hit the starter button.

Three seconds later, IT WAS RUNNING. Slowly pushed in the choke, and it idled just beautifly. Unfortunately, we had to shut down 'cause we ain't got no coolant in dere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Once we get the rad fixed, we can do some fine tuning. But I got to admit, those carbs won't need much playing around with.

Well, it was about noon by now, but it was a great morning. That's the first time in over twenty years this TR-3B has been running! I was happy, and Brian was floored by how easy it started. "Like I turned it off just yesterday" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

BTW, Brian has owned this car since it was about a year and a half old. The engine was done by TRF, and the carbs by Apple Hydraulics up here on Long Island. The trans by Quantum. The rest of the car, including paint, was done by Brian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

T

Tinster

Good going Art. Congrats to Brian for the effort.

Now Art, Paul's wife won't let him use my frequent
flier ticket to arrive here in the tropics to assist
with getting the Crypt Car engine running and drive
a round trip to the beach for photos.

So...Some, snowy, icy, cold miserable, winter day
in NY, you just remember we have palm trees, bikini
babes and balmy weather all year round. We have quite
a few frequent flier tickets saved since the Doc's
clipped my flying wings a few years back.

A tropical isle with beautiful ain't a half bad place
to spend a few days working on a dead TR6.

And thanks for the tip on how to re-install Jeffs wonderful dizzy.
You wrote:
Rotated the engine to the TDC mark, checked to see that it was on the compression stroke of #1

Where is the TDC mark located in my 1969 TR6?
How do I know when the piston is at TDC?
How do I know if the piston is coming or going?

as always,

Thanks

Dale

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
There is a fellow here in Tucson with a TR4 that he switched off 11 years ago. Several club members stopped by to see it and offer encouragement -- now he is working to get it ready to run. There'll still be plenty to do to get it roadworthy, but I intend to be there when it starts for the first time. Nothing like the sound of an awakening engine.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
An old racing partner of mine always was freaked out about damaging the radiator when it was out of the race car. I learned to always wire-tie cardboard to the front and back side of the core...never had any damage....cheap and EZ.

Good story, BTW.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
WOW! What a thrill. Can't wait for the time to do that with my 3A. Did you get the start sequence from the TR manual?
Congrats to you and Brian.

Cheers, Tinkerman