• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fan Type Noise on Ignition Switch in Accessory

jjbank

Country flag
I have a PhI BJ8. When I turn the key to the first position. I call it accessory I hear what to me sounds like a fan or rotating rotor noise. I just had my speedometer cable and angle drive replaced but that is mechanical. When I go ahead and start the engine I don't know if I can continue to hear the noise or not because of the engine noise. It doesn't appear to affect the running of the engine. What is the noise? I don't remember hearing it in past times and I only recall noticing it the last few months.

John B

OP
J

jjbank

Country flag
Bob,

In the 17+ years I have owned my Healey I have never been concerned about extra heat so hence I never thought about the heater fan? The noise sounds like a fan. Is the heater fan activated by one of the push pulls on either side of the slider in conjunction with the slider position? I don't have a toggle switch on my panel front for the heater fan! Hey Bob in order to learn, sometimes you have to be willing to ask questions that may not flatter ones knowledge so I appreciate your help and patience with me.

John B

OP
J

jjbank

Country flag
Bob,

When I place the slider in the middle at Temp the fan goes off and when I slide the slider to min the fan turns on. When I slide the slider to max the fan turns off. The push pulls have no effect. Does this sound right?

John B

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
It sounds like the pull knob is out (on position) and movement left or right interrupts the circuit or breaks it, probably indicating a broken wire at the back of the heater control.
Bob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Had a similar problem. Crimped new ends on the wires and added a p-clamp reinforcement to the swivel for the heater control:
attachment.php

Attachments

• BlowerSwitchWires.JPG
    BlowerSwitchWires.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 122
Country flag
Just as an aside, when was the last time you (and everyone else) read the Owner's Manual?

I bought a reproduced copy, probably about a decade ago, and just for the fun of it, I pulled it out and reread it a couple months ago. Goes a long way towards letting other people think you know something about your car :cheers:

Don't feel bad though, somebody routinely has to make the same post about the BMW Z3/Ms every few months on their forum, and they're a lot newer (and 10X more likely to still have the original manual).

If you have a copy of Bentley's The Complete Austin Healey 100/6 & 3000, the owner's manual portion is reprinted in the front; it'll help remind you about the maintenance rituals too! If you don't have the Bentley manual, shame on you!