• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

Fair warning:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just got an Epson V600 yesterday, not connected yet. Relatively inexpensive and is supposed to work with my Linux boxes. Primarily for film scanning, 35mm and medium format are touted in ads but I'm expecting it will be easy enough to make a mask for 4x5 as well. Up to now we've been using an older, early Pacific 3600 film scanner, a PITA and limited to 35mm.

If it works as advertised, expect to be inundated with some OLD film images. If it gets painful, just let me know. :cheers:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
For comparison: 1978 record. Nikon FM, MD-11. 135mm Soligor ∱2.0. No clue about settings!

self78.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I've had the V550 for a while now and it can usually get a good 35mm scan. This picture however had a weird gradient problem with her chin. It think I scanned it as a grayscale instead of the full 48 bit color. That may have been my downfall. The pain for me with flatbeds is the prep work. I clean the glass, backlight and the negs before scanning to remove as much dust as possible. The digital ice feature is supposed to help with that but I don't know if anyone wrote a routine for that on Linux.

At one point in my past, I tried using a scanner with Fedora (I think?). The Sane frontend had about 80 different adjustments vs the 4 or 5 for Windows. The problem was I had no idea what each adjustment did. Couldn't really find a help file for it. I believe that is the real downfall of Linux, crappy help files and instructions.

Attachments

• stepniece.jpg
    stepniece.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 3
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Haven't put a good B&W neg in this one yet. Still just finding the capabilities. Grabbed up a bunch of color slides and strips, NO prep (as evidenced in the self-shot), found the V600 thinks it's smarter than I am, too. A lot of the E-chrome has shifted magenta (lax storage protocols :( ) but the K-chrome held up well.
As scanned, the E-chrome:

HeskethHunt.jpg

K-chrome (culled from a job for "Uncle." Bracket shot. Good exposures went to DoD):
C51.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Quick-n-Dirty run through GIMP just to dial out some magenta:
HeskethHunt2.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Portable fuel bladders. Same job.
fuel1.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Unmounted shot, found on a strip of E-chrome. GIMP'd to shift out the magenta.fgrid1.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks, Greg! Looks much better.

I installed Darktable but haven't learned the ins-n-outs. Looks like I'll be doing some OJT with it soon.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've had the V550 for a while now and it can usually get a good 35mm scan.
That's the scanner I have. Has served me well over the years as I work to scan all our old negatives, slides and prints.

By the way, when I upgraded to the new iMac I had to go get updated Epson Apps and, when I went to the Epson download section, they had the ability to download (free) a program called SilverFast, which is similar to Epson's ICE but better (I think). It's for making scans and eliminating dirt and scratches from the final scan. It's pretty amazing. Doc, you should try it on that self-portrait above.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This first "batch" of scans was just to see if the V600 would serve to digitize film. I'll putz around with software more as the shots I consider worth keeping are scanned. As I mentioned earlier, the self-portrait thing was done as a sort of diary, a self reminder that I'm getting older every year. ;)

Last edited:
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Doc, you should try it on that self-portrait above.
I should have scaled that down before posting, but here's a better balanced and retouched version using GIMP. The retouching to clean it up is akin to a digital version of "Spot-Tone".

self78_2.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Just curious Doc, did you load epson's own driver with iscan? Looks like you can access scanning from within GIMP. iscan becomes a plugin. I haven't tried it since my scanner is attached to a Win10 machine.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No, the scanner is so far attached to Herself's Win 10 box. The images are accessed across the LAN to use GIMP on this machine. I've downloaded the CentOS driver from Epson's support section but haven't loaded it yet. Path of least resistance, y'see. ;)

I'll soon do the Linux install but wanted to see how the scanner performs first. Now She thinks it's gonna stay in Her office... :ROFLMAO:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There's a storm brewing...

That's precisely why there are two D7500's here now.

Even back In '78 she would snipe one of my Nikons:
PhotogMits1.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just curious Doc, did you load epson's own driver with iscan? Looks like you can access scanning from within GIMP. iscan becomes a plugin. I haven't tried it since my scanner is attached to a Win10 machine.
Just read the readme text file. Funny. Headed with: "For the impatient" with the command line instructions.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I saw that and made the "ward off evil spirits" symbol with my fingers.
I'll do that first and let ya know how the install goes. ;)