• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Factory rear disc kits?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I was reading the article “ Healey’s Six-Slug Slugger” in the Austin Healey Magazine and one thing caught my eye. Towards the end they mention converting to full disc brakes, noting kit #H8462 for the rear. Anyone know anything about this kit? Was it from the factory? The conversions I’ve seen photos of, there was grinding of the axle to get the caliper bracket to fit. I’m wondering if H8462 was a direct bolt-on. I’m curious if the parts list mentions it and what components used were(note to self: I really need to get one of those lists).

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sorry I should have added in response to Pattons question, that 40 (or 50) 100-Sixs were specially produced with these disc brakes already fitted. This was to homolgate them for racing. This is confirmed from several different sources. Healey author Bill Piggot owned one of these cars which were manufactured at the end of 1957 but its unclear whether they had any special numbers given to them. The option package was available throughout the 100-Sixs life

gregw, two or three months ago a set of a.h. rear disk brake brackets were for sale on ebay reputed to have been removed from a factory works car,they did give part numbers but i didnt write em down. just checked ebay and they are no longer listed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Derek,
Thanks, I’ve seen three references to the disc brakes on your site so far. Still looking, you’ve got a lot of information there, or I’m a slow reader. Either way it will take some time for me to go through it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Anthony,
I guess I should have been looking at Ebay harder. Thanks for the tip. It is more out of curiosity at this point. I plan to see how I like the stock brakes before I make any changes. I will also keep in mind Dave Russell’s info on the better shoe lining.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Greg,

I know this is a thread from last month, but I read something tonight that reminded me of your original question about rear disc brakes. Cape International is supposedly going to offer a "CapeSport 100" In the description of the car, they state that the front and rear brakes will be converted to disc brakes. They seem to be going for a modern 100 S. I’m pretty sure all 100S’s had discs front and rear.

I’ve never been able to make heads or tails of Cape’s parts list:
https://www.cape-international.com/browse_shop.tpl

But I bet if you called them, they would know just what parts you need to convert the brakes to disc.

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dave,
Yep, the 100S had the four disc brakes. Cape International has been selling rear disc conversions as well as Denis Welsh. My main curiosity with the 100MM was if the conversion required grinding material from the axle housing to fit. From what I’ve read, that seems to be needed to fit both kits from Cape & Denis. I have to say at the moment, I am satisfied with my brakes as is. I’ve driven a friend’s Healey and I feel that mine stops with much less effort than his. (Shhh, don’t tell him I said that). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think the condition of the brake booster and the cylinders, etc., makes a big difference.

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I have installed the Dennis Welch kit and yes it does require some grinding of the axle housing. I am very happy with the stopping power of the system and love not having to worry about adjusting any brakes.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Greg,
That's kind of a hard call. You could get the Cape kit for around $1500 US. The DW kit will run around $1350 including calipers. Both use Jag calipers. With the DW kit, you could save about $800 by getting your own calipers & pads. Don't know about brake lines, master cylinders, balance bars & stuff you might want to add to get everything just right. I know you have high standards. Both kits appear to have parking brake assemblies. As Steve says, & I have found, that 90% of the DW parts that I have used, need custom fitting & tuning to really work right. Haven't gotten enough parts from Cape to make a judgement.

The only real drawback to drum rear brakes is that they don't cool as well under continuously hard braking conditions, though brake fade can be somewhat controlled by the right choice of linings.

I guess if you like the WOW factor & need more to do, rear discs would be the way to go.
D

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dave,
I expected you to comment on the Kevlar linings… How do you like them after a few months?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The Porterfield carbon-Kevlar R4S linings are working very well. Compared to the old linings, much better stopping, either smoking hot or cold, less pedal pressure, no noise, no pull. Apparently not much wear, haven't adjusted since installation. 2 1/4" by 11" drums aren't exactly small for the car's weight.

As I said before, it made the brakes work like I & DH always thought they should. Haven't found any down side except the cost.

For repeated 110 to near zero stops many times per hour, I'm sure that discs would be better.
D

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dave,
I don’t plan on converting to rear discs until I have a chance to run the car through some fun canyons around the area and there is still much to do before that happens. I may be completely happy with what is on the car at present (PBR booster, SS braided lines, stock rebuilt everything else). I was more curious if there were any differences between the original MM caliper mount and the modern offerings. It may be a long time before I actually see an original four disc Healey since so few were made. But I will keep my eyes peeled.
happy0012.gif

bighly

Jedi Knight
Randy,
I remember those. Problem with them is they are the pattern for dunlop calipers (remove to replace pads like a 100S). The seller noted he had no idea where one would find those Hen's teeth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

bighly

Jedi Knight
BTW there were 2 sets in the classifieds of this BBS for sale a few months back. 900 per set.