• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Engine tear down,

Country flag
4DD5B57B-ED1E-429A-9A1C-609CD859F833.jpg195620E5-5F99-48DF-BE37-2E564D13864A.jpeg
This 1960 TR3 has been sitting 40 years. As you can see the accumulation of crud and rust has made disassemble difficult.
Does anyone have any suggestions for “loosening” up this crud to make getting the cam, pistons and sleeves out any easier??
PB Blaster and a torch only go so far at getting this done, and as a local machine shop has told me, the EPA has banned the “good stuff” that would have made this job easier.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Joe in TX

Attachments

• B6590DDD-8874-4BA1-A46D-DDCF8DE6F708.jpg
    B6590DDD-8874-4BA1-A46D-DDCF8DE6F708.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 5CD31495-8F20-494A-B8B1-570A1057EA30.jpg
    5CD31495-8F20-494A-B8B1-570A1057EA30.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 126

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Joe...making headway!

Most guys use a wood block and a BFH to knock the sleeves out. Occasionally you'll get a stubborn one, but usually they knock out pretty easily. The pistons can stay in if they are stuck in the bores.

Those lifters are impressive! They may be tough. I would keep soaking and trying to pull them from the top with lock ring pliers...until it's apparent that is not going to work. After that we may have to leverage the bottoms against the cam lobes. Of course that will write off the cam, so it'll have to be a last resort. First using the sprocket and a long cheater to rock the cam and raise the lifters...and finally actually using a screw driver between the cam and lifters. Once they are up about .28", then the cam can be removed and you can easily tap them all the rest of the way out.

Any luck with the front crank hub? I assume so, since the crank is out. How did you finally pull it?

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Hey John,
Yes, finally got the crank pulley off. Those 2 “extra” pictures on my 1st post were of the pulley soaking in PB Blaster to be followed by my big dog hub puller. It was then that I discovered WHY it was so difficult to get off. It appears that the Woodruff key SLIPPED, marring the crank.
I guessing that’s why it was “parked” 40 years ago. I hope the crank is still usable. I plan to take the block and crank to a machine shop when
I get everything apart.
I’ll keep you posted.

Joe

.80DF1860-9566-40F5-9A15-512283027798.jpeg92B5FF67-E49A-454B-A550-88CE4496E1BD.jpgA05F9938-A94E-47AE-B886-5AE4BB48274C.jpeg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Ouch! That key hasn't been much of an issue. I would think the main crank bolt must have been loose.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Was it your block that has the TR3 in red paint on the side?

Some use a home made mixture to free up frozen parts. 50/50 Acetone and ATF.

David

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Yeas David,
It was the same one. That’s a good idea.
I’ve used that “inside” cylinders before to loosen a seized outboard engine. I wonder if the acetone would evaporate in this application?
I’ll give it a try.
Thanks, Joe

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The reason I asked about the TR3 paint is that hot tanking would strip that off the block.

I think Tush made a copy of his painted TR3 and redid it after the block was repainted.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just my two cents, but the author of the original article in Machinists Workshop, said he actually used 50/50 acetone and Power Steering Fluid. PSF is shown in the article's photo, but the editor for some reason changed PSF to ATF in the text.

Here's the 2007 article. Note the photo shows PSF, not ATF.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vEPEO4mZ-cnPTfsrBq_nDl3rC09WTXmW/view?usp=sharing

Maybe no difference, but just sayin' ...

Tom M.

PeterK

Yoda
Didn't read the article as there was no google back then, but I've been using 50/50 diesel and ATF for decades, works quite well. I'm sure either is good. Diesel is a great degreaser by itself.

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
After depleting AutoZone of their entire stock of PB Blaster, “I’m kidding” I left 2 cans on the shelf ��, I broke out Ol Yeller!
As suggested by Yoda John, I got out my BFH and went to town.
Pistons and sleeves came out as a unit, I’ll be in the market for a new kit from Moss.
The lifters we’re solidly rusted in making cam removal quite difficult, but Ol Yeller came thru again. Yeah I’ll be needing lifters AND a cam too.
But the block is finally read to dip. Progress I tell ya!!

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Pictures from above post.
EB53FE2A-56A3-482E-A6A6-57C9737DD432.jpeg

Well I tried to add photos, but couldn’t figure out how to get more than one on there.
It seems that if you able to “choose size” of your photo, it works, otherwise no luck.

For the record, Ol Yeller is my 12 pound mini sledge hammer, worked like a charm.

I believe there is another thread going, “I HATE COMPUTERS”! I think I’ll go chime in on that one!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Most of us have switched to “imgur” for posting pics. It’s a photo hosting site:

https://imgur.com/a/Fpn6F

Once you have signed up for a free account, you can upload jpg’s as “private”. Instructions are pretty straight forward for the uploading.

To post, use your “images” button on the site to view the pic you want to post. Click on the side of the pic for “BBcode”. Just click it and it will automatically save the link. Then skip back to the BCF site and paste the bb code where you want the pic.

Takes a few minutes to practice, but works quick and easy after the first time. Beauty is there is no more size limits like on the BCF photo posting.