• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine stand rotisserie plans

Austin1226

Freshman Member
Hello has anyone built or seen plans for a car rotisserie built using engine stands I would like the, type with jacks built into them . Have seen pictures but no plans thanks for any help. Doug

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One might have to make a few modification to the engine stands as they are not really high enough or all that heavy. Building one from scratch is not difficult. I built a rotisserie about ten years ago for a Chevy, which was quite a bit heavier than a Healey. Overbuilt, with thicker wall tubing and heavy duty coasters, this thing likely could handle a tank. It came in handy for the 100-6 too. When used for the heavier car, I connected a full length square tube that extended into the front legs of the two ends. For the lighter Healey, that didn't seem necessary.

IMG_9041.jpg

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My diy rotisserie looks similar to blueskies. Instead of engine stands I found a scrapped Olympic weight lifting H frame. It was handy in that I could raise or lower the whole unit. I welded on caster wheels so I could move it around. With the wheels in place, each end does need to be connected for stability. I also drilled holes for threaded pins in the top of the pipe where the fork passes through. Those pins made sure that the car stayed where I put it. Balance is key. You don't want a top heavy rig. If you have the forks from the stands to the bumper mounts correct then you should be able to spin the unit with just one person. Using a 2nd person is still suggested, for safety. I pulled the car off the rotisserie to put in the drive train. Painting, brake/gas lines, wiring, etc... was a walk in the park using the rotisserie.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
"Blueskies",

Do you have any close-up pictures of the attachment plates/points on the 100-6 that you could share? Also, what is the center-line height of the pivots? I will be starting my 100-6 soon. Thanks. Jim

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
"Blueskies",

Do you have any close-up pictures of the attachment plates/points on the 100-6 that you could share? Also, what is the center-line height of the pivots? I will be starting my 100-6 soon. Thanks. Jim

Sorry, the car is no longer on the rotisserie and I did not take many pics. It likely was higher than needed for the 100-6; the car is not as wide as a full size Impala. As someone already said, balance is important. One end of the pivot does have a bolt to tighten, to hold the car from turning. That too is important.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
OK, and thanks for the reply. It looks like you borrowed some through-holes for the front suspension to mount the front, and maybe the rear bumper brackets for the rear stand? Jim

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim, Yes, I just used the existing holes on the Healey structure. As far as height goes, you never know when you might want to work on a car that is a little wider than a Healey, so a little extra height won't hurt. The extra height also is nice for working, at least when the car is on its side.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Thanks! I hope the car just need sills and floors. Having the work at a reasonable working height is a luxury I've never had before. I can no longer work for any length of time while on my side or back - somehow I've suddenly turned into my dad (or maybe granddad!). Jim

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Andrea, Were did you get that gas pedal. It's looks awesome! Richard

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found my pics with a new Jule frame. You can see the bumper mounts. Note that the car was a little top heavy with that setup. It worked OK with two people spinning it and then bolts to hold it. It felt very safe. You can see the bolts in the far left of both pics. Wheels under it came in handy to.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 137
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 134