• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Pictures

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Good morning group. I was wondering if anyone has clear color photos of the AH 3000 Mk III BJ8 engine shown in the book: Authentic Restoration Guide Austin Healey 100/100-6/3000 By Anderson and Moment, pages 153, 154 and 155? If so, would you kindly send me the color pictures? Thanks. and much appreciated.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good morning group. I was wondering if anyone has clear color photos of the AH 3000 Mk III BJ8 engine shown in the book: Authentic Restoration Guide Austin Healey 100/100-6/3000 By Anderson and Moment, pages 153, 154 and 155? If so, would you kindly send me the color pictures? Thanks. and much appreciated.
I can help you out....

Attachments

• 65 Motor 1.jpg
    65 Motor 1.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 65 Motor 2.jpg
    65 Motor 2.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 65 Motor 3.jpg
    65 Motor 3.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 65 Motor 4.jpg
    65 Motor 4.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Engine 8.jpg
    Engine 8.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Engine 9.jpg
    Engine 9.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Engine 5.jpg
    Engine 5.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 130

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I believe Law75 is looking for color photos from the book so he can get his car as close to concours as possible.

Last edited:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If he is, that wasn't spelled out in his post ......I have the book he referenced, I looked at the pictures on the pages listed and sent him color shots of my BJ8 engine as requested. Please step forward with photos of your concours correct car engine bay AUSMHLY ........

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Dougie,
Misunderstanding. Sorry.
I don't have the Anderson/Moment guide handy and assumed they were in color. I thought maybe he saw it online in black/white, that he didn't have the book.
My engine bay isn't concours correct at all. I could post photos and write paragraphs of what's not concours correct :smile:
Your engine bay is very clean and beautiful. Very nice of you to take the time to snap photos and post them for LAW75.
Again, misunderstanding. You help a lot of people and have a fantastic car.

Last edited:
OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ditto, Dougie. Yes, I am thirsty for any help and photos to get Concours, which I am registering for Sept. I think I am close but need some input on items I cant seem to find in the Concours Standards publication that I have. Some of the questions are probably founded in my lack of specific car lingo to identify what the Standards are referencing. Anyway, the photos you sent prior still were very helpful. Any Concours photos or research sources beyond the published Concours Standards, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Ditto, Dougie. Yes, I am thirsty for any help and photos to get Concours, which I am registering for Sept. I think I am close but need some input on items I cant seem to find in the Concours Standards publication that I have. Some of the questions are probably founded in my lack of specific car lingo to identify what the Standards are referencing. Anyway, the photos you sent prior still were very helpful. Any Concours photos or research sources beyond the published Concours Standards, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Don't overlook the option to contact Concours Committee members. Lynn Martin of "Forever Healeys" in Post Falls, Idaho, might be a good one to start with.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
LAW75, if you post photos of your engine bay, those who are familiar with concours can point out areas you'll need to address.
Maybe start a new post with a heading that reflects that.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
LAW75, if you post photos of your engine bay, those who are familiar with concours can point out areas you'll need to address.
Maybe start a new post with a heading that reflects that.
Per Ausmhly's suggestion (thanks), attached are three views of my engine. FYI, I already have and will install just before the Concours Judging, 1. fuel line from front carb to engine (to eliminate fuel filter), 2. Original ignition coil. Since pictures, I painted heater return copper pipe and also painted engine green the connecting hose (right as you sit in the car) from the "T". Any help would be extremely welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• D5AB418A-1106-47D7-BDCD-EF42D223BE30.heic
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
  • E38C782E-661D-4CEE-A0E2-D7BBCFDF8105.heic
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 6577CC73-FEA1-4031-9F2E-3562DCDE3EBA.heic
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I also took apart and sandblasted clean to the "metal" the brackets that hold the choke cable by the front carb.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Per Ausmhly's suggestion (thanks), attached are three views of my engine. FYI, I already have and will install just before the Concours Judging, 1. fuel line from front carb to engine (to eliminate fuel filter), 2. Original ignition coil. Since pictures, I painted heater return copper pipe and also painted engine green the connecting hose (right as you sit in the car) from the "T". Any help would be extremely welcomed. Thanks
I can’t open the attachments.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Sorry about that John. I have challenges with the size ? of the attachments needed. Still working though it.

Patrick, were you at the show in Columbia SC in April? I ask because I saw the '67 metallic Beige car there.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Sorry about that John. I have challenges with the size ? of the attachments needed. Still working though it.

Patrick, were you at the show in Columbia SC in April? I ask because I saw the '67 metallic Beige car there.
John, I was at the Texas Healey Roundup in April.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Off the top of my head:

Incorrect coil
Rubber hoses at the T should be green
Copper piping should be green
Remove fuel filter
Clutch and Brake markings needed on the reservoir.
incorrect spark plug caps
Incorrect water hose clips. I think they should be the ‘band’ type.

Its a rabbit hole…are you sure you want to go there.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
LAW75, good luck with your concours event.
Here's what I see needs to be addressed (I've numbered them for further discussion) to be concours correct:

1) Bumble bee wire not correct
2) Rubber Elbow crankcase to engine should be painted engine green. (Would assume clip too)
3) Brake booster hose is one piece
4) Clip that the holds the front carb cable should be all metal
5) Black carb cables shouldn't have any printing
6) Red wire has a blue plastic crimp on the end, not correct, plus it shouldn't be ground to the harness clip.
7) Black wire is grounded to the same place as the red wire, wrong place to ground it.
8) White wire from the voltage regulator doesn't run where it currently is.
9) Hood latch spring should have a black plastic sleeve
10) Hood connecting lever to slider rod, there should only be one
11) Hood rubber buffers, the two front ones, the split rivets are facing the wrong way, should be bent over too.
12) Brake/clutch can, missing decal, "break clutch".
13) Missing the hood rod support bracket (spring attaches to that also)
14) Missing the rubber tie that holds the capillary tube to the heater to return pipe hose.
15) Fan shroud was painted red with a brush, so it should show brush marks. (Concours judging)

These things I'm not sure about, other will hopefully chime in.
16) Hood rubber buffers, does the rivet go through both sides of rubber buffer, or is the rivet head inside the rubber channel? Rivet shaft exits out the rubber on the engine side, the ends are bent out.
17) Rocker cover cap nuts painted engine green or plated?
18) Radiator cap, looks aftermarket, OEM I think had something different stamped on it
19) Vacuum pipe, is it bent correctly, shouldn't it be held in place with clips and should it be copper, steel or painted?
20) Should the reinforcement brackets for the throttle return springs and the front carburetor cable be painted black, engine green, or plated?
21) There are two black wires exiting under the heater blower hose. (From the heater?) One wire looks like it's grounded to the harness wire clip, not a grounding place. I don't think those wires are run correctly to be seen the way they are.
22) Should the bolts that attach the hinges to the hood be painted car color? They are pointed the correct way, nice.

Some things I've mentioned may not be correct, others please point out any misinformation I've referenced.

Last edited:
Country flag
My BJ8's front carb has a single abrasion mark on its vacuum 'dashpot' similar to the two little ones on this engine. I originally thought maybe someone got too aggressive with a buffing wheel, but most of the early promo shots show the fuel line routed in front of the carb. I now think abrasion from the stainless sheath on the line rubbing on the carb causes it (it can also rub the inside of the bonnet). So, I moved the line behind the carb and drove that way for years, but I moved it back and 'shortened' the line by pulling it forward.

re: "3) Brake booster hose is one piece" this one appears to have an inline check valve. The original Girling servo had one screwed on the booster body, but if it's not working--they do wear out or break--you have to have one somewhere. To my knowledge, new, correct ones aren't available; I got a serviceable used one from BCS. This one almost looks like a PCV valve (theoretically, that might work).

Intake manifold should be painted engine green. I believe the wire-type hose and vacuum clamps are correct for a BJ8.

Is 'break clutch' an instruction?

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Off the top of my head:

Incorrect coil
Rubber hoses at the T should be green
Copper piping should be green
Remove fuel filter
Clutch and Brake markings needed on the reservoir.
incorrect spark plug caps
Incorrect water hose clips. I think they should be the ‘band’ type.

Its a rabbit hole…are you sure you want to go there.
Hey Derek. Your response if very helpful and much appreciated. FYI, the picture is one week old and since,
1. I now have the correct coil (not putting on until Concours.
2. I painted the rubber hose and clip to the left of the "T" engine green. Is that all on the hose?
3. Cooper piping heat return is now painted green along with this fasteners
4. I ordered new hoses to eliminate fuel filter and plan on changing that up just before Concours
5. Clutch and Brake markings now on reservoir
6. Ordered "correct" spark plug caps and black wires. Are those wires not as good in performance as the bumble bee wires?
7. Not understanding your point on "incorrect water hose clips..."band"? Any further reference?
Thanks for your help. Yes a rabbit hole it is..but I am retired and have a real lousy golf game....