• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Emergency Electric Fuel Pump

dklawson

Yoda
So dumb question....where would you hook those leads up to? They seem short. Plus, you wouldn't want it to the battery or you would be constantly sending fuel? At the distributor?

For emergency purposes you can put the pump in/under the boot and connect the wires to the car's running lights. Of course... you have to turn the lights on to power the pump. If you mount the pump low in the engine bay you can power it off the coil's hot lead as you and others suggested.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The leads provided with the pump with alligator clips added (as shown in photo) are long enough to clip to the white wire on the coil and a ground. That, of course, has the pump running only when the ignition is switched on.

If I was only using it on a car with spade terminal lugs on the coil I could have used a female spade terminal on the white wire - but the TR3 has screw posts, hence an alligator clip for a universal fit.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I believe in experiencing the British car tempermentality to the maximum. I would therefore clip it to the windshield wipers. After all, the wipers don’t serve any real function.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As promised earlier here are the pumps I was referring to. The top one is the one I carry in my TR3. Did a lot of research for that one. It is a EMPI 41-2500-8, 1.5 to 4 OPSI. Used a lot in old VWs. I think in the $20 range. Good pump and heavy. The second is the one I had permanently mounted in the TR250 but is now the back up pump. As you can see it is the same as the new one I recently purchased on ebay for my TR6. The only difference is it has a added fuel filter. So it does have the tick sound to the pump if you want that. Most of us have a filter at he carbs so the inline attached filter is not needed.
What's interesting is my TR6 has a square electric pump mounted below the tank on the frame as the main pump. Kinda wonder if the cam lob is worn. The last time it was driven was in 1982 into a body shop to get a paint job and the owner never cam back. Just brought it into the working garage from the pole barn and started the tear down this past sunday. I'll post pics on another post.

Attachments

• 20180718_181025.jpg
    20180718_181025.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 41

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a question on mounting the fuel pump
1) If I'm along side the road and have to do an emergency install, would either of the pictured mounting positions work with the recommended pump? Or is there a better place to mount it? If I mounted it on the vacuum hose to the brake booster, I'm guessing cable ties would hold it to the hose. However, I'm concerned that may not be a stable location. I don't want it to fall down and bang up the inner fender nor get close to the coil or spark plugs. The other method pictured is to use an extra nut to hold the provided bracket to the battery hold down bolt. Thanks!
Bob

IMG_6870.jpg IMG_6872.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Mounting high has several issues. First, it has to suck fuel, which pumps do not do as well as they push fuel. That increases the chance of vapor lock. That is also why traditional pump locations are low, on the frame or in the fuel tank. Which brings up item 2...with that much rubber hose high in the engine compartment you increase the chance of a leak developing. Rubber hose should be minimized in any fuel system, as all rubber degrades. Which brings up 3, if you got a leak with a pump that high, you almost insure ignition in the engine bay, being right adjacent to the dizzy, battery, and it looks like the regulator?!.

For pump mounting you want low, rear near the tank, and minimum hose runs.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks John! Is that true for emergency situations as well? I think it would be a problem mounting the electric fuel pump near the tank when stranded beside the road. I intend to use the electric fuel pump for emergency situation only.
Bob

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry...all that comes from owning several 12 cylinder Jags...probably the most likely to burn car every built!

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I admit to being somewhat cavalier about location and mounting when I have had to use it... may have just left it supported by the lines. But then it was only on there long enough to get me home. Certainly never had a problem with it moving fuel in any position.

On the car I am most likely to be driving 1000s of miles from home I fashioned a bracket that I use with the big P-clip clamp:

NeN1Q8G.jpg

Elaborate but all the work is done ahead, installation takes only a minute.

Bob, I like the second set-up where you are using a clamp.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Geo! I will plan to use the clamp if I ever get stranded on the road. I'm setting my wiring up to have a slip connector that will plug to the + side of the coil as suggested earlier on this thread. That was a good suggestion!
Bob