• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electric fishing reels

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've seen it all now. Electric fishing reels, priced from a few hundred dollars to - are you ready - $16,000.00! Plus a dredge to scoop up fish and whatever else may be down there. WTF?? Between fish finders, electric reels and dredges, the poor fish don't have a chance. We can't leave well enough alone.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can you access the internet with it?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ron Popeil was ahead of his time.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
No thank you. I had enough of a workout cranking Black Cod (Sable Fish) up from about 75 feet of water in Puget Sound some years ago. Too much like work. And towing a dredge? What's that all about? Why not just use dynamite and get it over with? For a commercial fisherman, maybe, but for an amateur sportsman, where's the sport?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Pocket fisherman, I think there is a couple of them around here is some camping gear somewhere. Bought for the boys when they were in the scouts back in the 80s. They do work very well for their size. (y)

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pulling a dredge of 48 mullet in the trolling pattern will bring in billfish. Of course once hooked up you have to get the dredge out of the water to play the fish. With the drag of a dredge and all the baits it is quite hard to just pull in. Look at the payouts on some of the big marlin tournaments and you will see why you want the dredge.
1627255890770.png

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You guys really make me miss bloody decks out of the coast of SOCAL. Fillet it right there. I've done a few trips down to Key West and the charter boats down there have all sorts of electric reels on them, obviously catering to the tourist clientele down there

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had a pal with a nice 24' Aquasport, had a stainless grill fitted to starboard gunwale... sandwiches for LUNCH!! :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry, gotta do it:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mick just haddock do it. Just fer th' halibut.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Back in my bachelor days, I had a friend with a 40-foot Chris Craft. We went fishing off Block Island and caught a mess of Pollock. At the dock, Old Salt, sorta drunk, saw us cleaning the fish and barged in "I hate to see you massacreeing a fish!" said he, and proceeded to do the best job filleting I've ever seen. He kept saying "Slide your knife along the backbone. Cut into it but don't take it". We pretended ignorance so he kept filleting our fish for us. As a reward, we gave him a couple of fillets and cooked the rest on a charcoal grill on the back of the deck. We caught a lot of fish off that boat. Bluefish, Striped Bass and Pollock. I took a date out for a weekend on that boat. At the end of the weekend, we were still talking to each other. That was 1965 and we're still talking, in fact she's making lunch for me right now. See you.

Country flag
I see where Ron Popeil has died (RONCO).
The company I worked for made all the boxes for RONCO back in the day. Word was that RONCO knew that 50% of the Mr. Microphones that shipped out didn't work. They also knew that at $19.95 most people would not do anything about it.