• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Electric Cooling Fans. Are they a problem?

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Recently a radiator repair guy gave me a lecture on the folly of mounting fans directly to the radiator with the aid of plastic ties or cable ties.
He reckons that the ties destroy the radiator tubes.
As I have at three cars with fans mounted in this way I am now beginning to worry.
Would love to hear any comments or discussions from people with experience with these mounting systems.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do not have a E-fan or do I need one but both seen wrong the ties or damage to tubes send a pic unless it is on a farm tractor. I just do not like the sound when you turn off your motor and the fan still running. I am not a real OEM guy and I live where it does get hot and pull a lot of hills. But let see what you are talking about

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I prefer brackets, even though homemade

Attachments

• Procomp 14'.jpg
    Procomp 14'.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Procomp 16 001.JPG
    Procomp 16 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 123

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I make brackets and fasten to surround or frame. Used to mount thru radiator but did not like the vibration from the ties and they break over time from heat and age. Custom brackets look neater.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I use the through rad ties that have a conical spring for tension.i also fit felt pads to the fan mounts that would normally rest on the rad. its the cheap pads you can get for the legs/feet of chars to protect the floors.
this type of thing

but if i was starting again i probably would go for a fixed bracket

but I'm not rushing out to change anything.

Attachments

• F4B60244-1197-4BE2-83B9-5E4D0E1DBEEC.jpeg
    F4B60244-1197-4BE2-83B9-5E4D0E1DBEEC.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 106

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Did that on GT6. Did last for a while.

Vargus

Freshman Member
Country flag
Talking about fans. when i got my Tr the fan stayed on for a while
now i set it so it off with the ignition, but what is best? I don’t mind either way.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Mine is regulated by a temperature sensor that turns the fan on at 180*F, but the ignition switch has to be in the ON position. I do have a manual switch in the cockpit that I can use to turn the fan on prematurely, but it will not turn the fan OFF if the sensor has turned the fan on...
If you download the INSTRUCTIONS in this link that's how my fans were wired.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I made no-drill no-weld brackets by decapitating some long bolts, bending into an 'L' and using short bit of fuel line to protect and grip the radiator body. Had to slightly oval the holes in the mounting ears:

fan0.JPG
fan1.JPG
fan2.JPG
fan3.JPG
fan1.JPG

Did this on both a TR3 & 4 though I finally abandoned the electrics and went with tropical fans.

On the 3 I was able to preserve use of the hand crank by removing one rib from the fan cage:

fan3.JPG

Attachments

• fan2.JPG
    fan2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 97
  • fan2.JPG
    fan2.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 92
  • fan3.JPG
    fan3.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 99
OP
Simmo

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I made no-drill no-weld brackets by decapitating some long bolts, bending into an 'L' and using short bit of fuel line to protect and grip the radiator body. Had to slightly oval the holes in the mounting ears:

View attachment 69725View attachment 69727View attachment 69728View attachment 69729View attachment 69731

Did this on both a TR3 & 4 though I finally abandoned the electrics and went with tropical fans.

On the 3 I was able to preserve use of the hand crank by removing one rib from the fan cage:

View attachment 69733
Very clever indeed. Thank you

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My experience with the lower-pipe location is that even with the lowest-temperature thermostatic switch insstalled, it takes too long for the electric fan to come on. Much better to read the temperature from a sensor in the top tank of the radiator, which gives a much more true reading on the engines coolant temperature than the lower-pipe type, which reads the temperature of the coolant only after it's been through the radiator core. Just my $.02

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bought a kit from Rimmers in UK. It included custom made stainless brackets that fit very well, and an adapter for sensor in lower rad hose. Although I had no evidence of the through the rad attachment being an issue, I preferred to have external brackets. I installed an manual override switch after the sensor failed within the first few hours. Although I got a replacement sensor I have not yet installed it. I just watch my temp in traffic and flip the switch when fan needed. Cheers, Mike

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I know that some have had success with it, but mounting a fan through the core seems like sort of a hack to me. Proper brackets aren't that hard.

Ed

IMG_0849a.JPG

Last edited:

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Mine came with ties to put through the radiator, so that's what I used. In 1997. Works flawlessly. I haven't touched the fan or the radiator since. I did have to put in an override relay because the sensor is clipped to the radiator, not in the coolant, so if there's no airflow (i.e. car not moving) it doesn't see the temperature.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Mine is regulated by a temperature sensor that turns the fan on at 180*F, but the ignition switch has to be in the ON position. I do have a manual switch in the cockpit that I can use to turn the fan on prematurely, but it will not turn the fan OFF if the sensor has turned the fan on...
If you download the INSTRUCTIONS in this link that's how my fans were wired.
Same as Poolboy here. Love that fan. Never overheats. Never a problem. I could see adding a bracket like some suggest.